“Bear on Lake Gueasthouse is worth every penny!”

Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
Durham, North Carolina
“Bear on Lake Gueasthouse is worth every penny!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is the cleanest hostel I think I have ever stayed at. Carmen, the owner, greets you with a super friendly welcome and holds a wealth of knowledge about the island. Bear on lake is the perfect place to both start and finish the Cabot Trail. We had a great time on Cape Breton!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Munich, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed three nights at the Bear on the Lake to explore Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. As I didn't have an own car, I was afraid that the location would not be so good for exploring the trail. However, I really enjoyed my stay and would go back any time. It is in such a nice spot, has a very a relaxing atmosphere and the the people were just great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Southampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have three boys and food costs a lot when you're traveling. Bear on the Lake gave me what I was looking for, a place where I could save money and cook our meals but not spend 200$ a night on accomadation and renting a cottage. It also gave us a central location. You can reach the both Louisbourg and Pleasant bay in about two hours. We also had lots of space. Carmen suggested we rent out the upstairs which has two double rooms, a sitting room and a private bathroom. It was perfect. The front lawn and sports equipment he supplied was great it gave the boys a place to play while we had dinner. The Guesthouse is incredibly clean and Carmen the owner was extremly helpful and runa great place. I would highly recommend this guesthouse to other families. It's quiet and friendly and the other guests were very welcoming of our boys. Thanks for a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at Bear on the Lake for a total of 6 nights. My main purpose for visiting Cape Breton was to attend a summer course at the Gaelic College, and I decided to tack on a few extra days to allow some exploring.

The guesthouse is conveniently located between Baddeck and Whycocomaugh, which makes it a great jumping off point for exploring the rest of the island on day trips. The house is located on a hill overlooking the Bras d'Or lake, and the view is tremendous. The house itself is immaculate - Carman does a great job in ensuring that it stays clean. There are 3 dorm rooms on the main level, one with ensuite. There was more space both upstairs and down, but I didn't see these spaces myself. There's a good-sized kitchen and lots of utensils available for preparing meals, and guests can store food in the large refrigerator and pantry.

Carman's place attracts an international clientele, with folks from all over the world staying there. There's a spacious deck for hanging out, along with a large lounge area and computer "office" space, with plenty of sofas. Board games are cleverly stored in an old stove. The dining table can easily seat between 12-16, encouraging socializing. Free WiFi is available, and the signal is strong.

My dorm room was reasonably spacious, with one twin bed and 2 bunkbeds. Linens are provided, towels can be rented for $1. The mattress was a bit more firm than I normally like, but this is a minor detail. Laundry facilities are available for a small fee, and you can save a bit of money by bringing your own detergent and hanging your wash on the line to dry.

Overall, this was a lovely, relaxing place to stay, and I'll definitely stay here again if the opportunity arises! Thanks, Carman!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I very much enjoyed my stay at Bear on the Lake. It’s a perfect location for exploring the Cabot Trail. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the view is spectacular and the place has a very homey feel. Having coffee made for me in the morning was a real treat! The hospitality was exceptional,,,,hopefully I am able to return someday. Oh and it is a great place for kids!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Monheim, Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

In all my 11 months of travelling, this was one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed - nice rooms, everything clean, nice and helpful staff, great view...
Carmen, thank you very much for your help. You are really a nice host.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Elke K
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I spent two nights here, and the only thing that forced me to leave is time.Very spacious and comfortable, this lovely Hostel has a good staff, very frendly, and all the necessary facilities. I took a solo room, very clean with a large window, at second stage, with large view on the lake. I just felt in love with Cape-Breton, and I wish to return there as soon as possible, staying at The Bear on the Lake, for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whycocomagh
Silver Dart Lodge
#1 of 2 in Whycocomagh
Auld Farm Inn B & B
Auld Farm Inn B & B
#2 of 17 in Baddeck

Been to Bear on the Lake Guesthouse? Share your experiences!