“So,So....would not return!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Western Shore
Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
“So,So....would not return!”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

First off....I don't consider myself to be an extremely picky person. My wife and I stayed here last weekend for two nights after purchasing a package deal for a good price on a local discounted website. The room was average with a queen size bed. Supposedly, it was recently updated but wasn't overly impressive. The bed and pillows definitley were not updated. The walls are thin and the doors from other rooms slam on a regular basis. Our neighbours were partying late into the night both nights. It took three calls and a midnight personal visit to the front desk to finally have someone shut them up. The following night we were awake until 2 am.

The food was great. We ate once in the lounge and had the best pulled pork sandwich/garden salad. However, the service was subpar. We sat ourselves and it took forever for someone to come to our table. It even took three trips to our table by our server before he had to ask her to clear the dishes from the previous customers. Also, there was a bucket directly behind us catching a severe leak in the ceiling. Near the end of the meal our server brought us our bill without ever offering us desert. I assume it was because they were getting ready to shut down.

The pool area is nasty and is in desperate need of a renovation. Strong moldy smell of chlorine.

I do a lot of research when it comes to selecting a hotel and hope this helps deter some from attending. If you're looking for good food....this is the place. However, overall, it failed to meet our expectations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Yarmouth
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I recently travelled with a group of 10 women and stayed in one of the villas. We had an amazing time! The villa was equipped with all the amenities making for a great bachelorette party. The rooms are very well appointed and clean. The off seasen rate made it extremely affordable. I would highly recommend this place for groups, although the villa only sleeps 6 comfortably (we brought air mattresses). The only down side was the night life-it is non existent. We ended up at the Black Pearl bar ... that was very sketchy. If you are looking for a quiet night away-this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
kcorkin, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Thanks for the feedback! The villas are a wonderful assest to our hotel! We do have entertainment in our Fireside Lounge on Saturday nights currently and as we move into the warmer months we will be having entertainment in various areas of the hotel more frequently.
Moncton
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I was kind of worried about the beds after reading reviews on here.
The first good surpise was to be upgraded to full suite for free!
;)
Ok the place can look like a university residence a bit but the rooms are great and have all what you like to find in a hotel room, stafff very professional, location splendid...and finaly the beds are FINE!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Clavster
kcorkin, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review! We love to get feedback. We are keeping up with our bed rotation and it seems to be paying off. We are making a lot of changes at the hotel and hope to see you back so you can enjoy them.
Toronto Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We have visited this Oak Island resort each Aug/Sept for the past 3 years. We visit family in Halifax and then take our family holiday here for 3-4 days and we love it. We have two small kids, so the indoor and outdoor pools, playground, mini golf, tennis court and children's menu are perfect for us. Our first year, we stayed in the main hotel, but discovered the beautiful waterfront chalets and booked to stay there the next summer. My then 3 year old son LOVED the fully stocked fire pit out front and our little city-boy learned to roast marshmallows to perfection. He talked about it all year until we could return. We returned again this year and again everything was great. However, for the second year in a row, we visited during a heat wave. This year, it was almost intolerable. The chalets are not cheap, but are not air conditioned, or even well ventilated. We were given one fan upstairs and one fan downstairs, and were finally given a few more by the very sympathetic maintenance staff. Having spent summers in Nova Scotia my whole life, I know that there was a time where air conditioning wasn't necessary for the two hot days we might have all summer. Those days are gone, and I hope the hotel figures out a way to air condition these chalets (I know its possible, as even our 80year old house could be fitted for ductless airconditioning). The chalets could also use some updating and upgrading (stove top burners were old and uneven, ceiling fan was old and squeaked, fireplace casing kept falling off, tiny TV with no DVD, limited storage space in bathroom) given how expensive they are. My son is desperately looking forward to "going to the cottage to roast marshmallows" again this summer, but I don't think we'll return until the chalets are air conditioned and updated without a huge jump in price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BeccaP
JoanneCooper, Leisure Sales Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
There really is no better place to learn to roast marshmallows to perfection and I am delighted that we could be part of that memory for your family! I do also appreciate your feedback regarding our chalets. We are scheduling renovations for these at the moment - we are waiting for our occupancy level to drop a little so we can go in and do these updates and repairs. We do recognize that these chalets are very popular and we want guests to feel that they are getting what they paid for.

Please do consider visiting with us again next year. With the updates and little movement in rate these are sure to book up quickly. Please contact me if you would like to visit with us next year - I will ensure that your stay is nothing but exceptional. I can be reached at 902 627 4346.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Taking our two young children to visit family in the area and view real estate in the area I purchased $325. in gift certificates for this resort (a slight savings then the price when I called). The weather was just perfect, a heat wave so the air conditioning was a plus. Our certificates were for ocean front rooms but since there were none available we accepted the landside room. The views from the other side were amazing and the outdoor pool was quite a bit of fun for the children. The rooms were just ok and we overlooked the tv stand dust and rotten sink plug until we sat on the beds and nearly fell off they were so old and worn. 2 nights and both my husband and I agree-the worst and most uncomfortable beds/sleep of our life. There was no support and just felt like they were 20 years past their prime. Thankfully I had a massage and pedicure and manicure booked the next morning and the staff there were SUPER sweet and kind, great spa services...and I'm a frequent spa traveller. Since it was a Monday I thought we could get another room perhaps with a little more comfortable/newer beds and oceanfront room...the front desk staff were somewhat unpleasant but allowed us to view one across the hall with 2 double beds...the only available change...definitely not enough room for 2 adults and 2 children so we stayed in the room again and both of us needed muscle and joint medication the next morning...and with travelling to over 10 hotels a year that has never happened. Breakfast took over an HOUR to arrive on the Tuesday morning, despite a quiet dining room but the server was very sweet and it was tastey, albeit the eggs benny were cold when they arrived. Room service was good too, the fish and chips we recommend. Overall the service and staff were very sweet, the surroundings and Mahone Bay a real delight, but wouldnt return or recommend with respect to the most uncomfortable beds I have ever experienced. This is my first review and I am actually trying their city hotel Atlantica this week so I will likely review that as well!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
JoanneCooper, Leisure Sales Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience at Oak Island with the TripAdvisor Community. We always welcome the opportunity to improve on our product and service. First off - please accept my sincere apologies for the bedding issue that you encountered while staying with us. Our beds are on a routine rotation / replacement schedule so that we are able to provide a great night sleep for our guests and we regretfully fell short of this goal on your visit. This shortfall during your visit as well as the others that you mentioned will be passed along to the appropriate department heads so that we can avoid these same issues in the future.

We will also be sure to pass along your positive comments regarding the spa (we are extremely lucky to have such a great team there) and the other resort staff that we able to assist you.

Hopefully you will reconsider coming to visit us again in the future. If you want to contact me directly for your next visit I will personally ensure that you have the best night sleep we can provide. I can be reached at 902 627 4346.
halifax NS
Reviewed September 1, 2010

This place was amazing it is right on the ocean with a path you can walk taking you to the ocean there is a main hotel building with a spa and hair salon and resturant and pooland hot tub ... there are chalets or cabins down by the water .. they have tons of stuff to do mini golf, basketball, tennis, out door pool..... the rooms were clean and big and air conditioned .... the grounds were well taken care of with nice flowers and tons of parking hotel staff were great

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
JoanneCooper, Leisure Sales Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Thank you! We are so fortunate to be situated right on the ocean on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. The resort has undergone many changes in the past and still more to come. As we expand we hope to offer you even more to enjoy. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Halifax, NS
Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I spent two nights at Oak Island for our anniversary. We booked the romance package, which gave us breakfast both mornings, a $60 dining credit, a bottle of wine, flowers, chocolates, and 20% off at the spa. The package was definitely great value for our money!

The resort itself is older, but they have done some upgrades. Our room smelled like cigarette smoke when we arrived, even though the hotel is non-smoking. We complained because I have asthma, and they did offer to upgrade us to a chalet or another room, but all they had available for other rooms had two double beds rather than the king suite we were in. We checked out the chalets, and they were very cute and a stone's throw to the water, but the beds were uncomfortable and not as plush as in the hotel (I like my duvets!), so we decided to stay in the room we were in. They ran a machine to take out the smell for about an hour, and that did help. You could still smell it faintly, but not nearly as bad. The people in the room next to us were also out smoking on their balcony, so that didn't help either.

I went to the spa while I was there, and it was great. I highly recommend it! I had a massage, a pedicure, and a facial.

The restaurant was pretty good. Breakfast wasn't great, but dinner was good.

There's not a ton to do at the resort, or in the area around it. Oak Island itself is a private island, so we couldn't go out there, which I didn't realize before we left. There are 2 pools at the resort (one in and one out), kayaks available to rent, a small mini golf course, and tennis courts, but that's about it. I would recommend the resort if you're looking just to relax and read and sit out by the pool, but you could definitely get bored there! It is a short drive to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, which are cute towns, and you could also drive to Halifax or Peggy's Cove too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you decided to spend your anniversary here and took advantage of our Romance Package - it is indeed a great deal as are many of our getaway packages. As always, we appreciate your feedback and are always looking to do better. Over the next few months we will be undergoing some changes and one of our biggest mandates is to increase our activities and provide more options of things to do while at the resort. I am glad that you found it easy to access the nearby towns - we are lucky to have such unique shops, artisans and activities so close by. We hope that you will think of us next time you plan a getaway and check in to see what is new.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Western Shore
Oceanstone Resort
Oceanstone Resort
#1 of 2 in Indian Harbour
Atlantic View Motel & Cottages

Been to Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!