“Disappointed but...”

Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Western Shore
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I agree with the previous review.
When there was an issue, the service was dismissive.
But when pushed, they did something.

Great hotel but the service was not at the standard expected.

We were given a room next to the lounge and they have live music on Friday and Saturday. We were not informed of that at check in. We ended up having to pack and move to another room at 9h30 pm.

Be aware of the live music on weekends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The_Rock_50
Angela S, General Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

I apologize that you felt that we were not attentive to your concerns. I have spoken to our Guest Service Manager to ensure that we review with the team on proper guest resolution and the idea of empowerment that every person on the team should deal with the issue the best way they can.
I know this does not change your experience but we will make every effort to imrove for future guests

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Pros: Comfortable mattresses
Clean rooms
Decent view with "ocean view" room (worth extra $20)
Lounge area has a modern feel
Pool, sauna, and jacuzzi are great

Cons: Poor bar service - attendant was always absent unless the phone rang for a personal call. Attendant also complained of being overworked.

No beach.

Food in dining room is not good and overpriced. Menus were photocopied sheets with chicken scratches through out.

Front desk staff made for the worse experience - completely unprofessional and dismissive. Small gestures of poor service accumulate but can be tolerated. However, upon us checking out and mentioning a wakeup call received at 6 AM that was not requested, the response was a mumble of how they can't really why it happened as if it wasn't their problem. Walking out the door a pathetic apology was finally uttered. A great taste to leave the guests with after their stay.

This place wants to be White Point but fails miserably. Do yourself a favour and wait till White Point opens again and stay there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter G

On behalf of the Atlantica Hotel & Marina Oak Island, kindly acknowledge our sincere apologies for not giving the high standard of warm hospitality that is the usual norm in the resort. We regret the discomfort and the inconvenience that it caused you.

I have spoken to the Outlets Manager as well as the Guest Experience Manager to address both these incidents. This is unusal feedback as we typically have postivie comments about our entire team. However, we sometimes fall short and we have addressed immediately

Reviewed June 22, 2012

My Husband and I had a wedding at the Atlantica Hotel and Marina Oak Island this past Saturday, June 16th, and honestly we could not be happier, more satisfied or overall content with the positive experience. The hard working and talented ladies at their ‘Aqua Spa’ worked tirelessly on our obnoxiously large bridal party and were successful in making each and every person feel radiant and confident. The hairstylists and make-up artists who performed their talents on our wedding party were extremely patient, professional and talented. The staff at Aqua Spa were successful in maintaining a relaxing and soothing ambiance and environment with copious amounts of snacks and refreshments. We felt majorly prioritized and special. I truly must thank the staff at Aqua Spa for contributing to the overall success of our dream day, they were instrumental in making our dreams and vision a reality. They are artists and I could not be more impressed. The Atlantica Hotel and Marina did a phenomenal job in regards to making certain our wedding day was executed flawlessly. We were beyond impressed with the manner in which they transformed their Fireside Lounge area into a romantic area in which we had our ceremony and said our vows, it was unrecognizable and accommodated our guests and large wedding party perfectly (20 people standing including my husband and myself, thus exemplifying how talented the hotel’s staff truly is in order to make certain such a large number of people would fit perfectly into a small space). The caring staff were friendly, welcoming, accommodating, and demonstrated a high attention to detail and it was apparent to everyone that they take great pride in their work and ultimately satisfying their guests. The staff did an incredible job in regards to setting up the room in which our reception took place, I would not have changed a single element. I would HIGHLY recommend selecting the Atlantica Hotel and Marina as a spectacular wedding destination. I seriously could not imagine getting married anywhere else after such an overall great experience. Morgan and Geoff Strain.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank morgan s

Morgan and Geoff,
Thank you for your kind words. We thank you as well for sharing your special day with us at Atlantica Oak Island.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel about 60 times over a 2 year period for business. Upon booking, about 90% of the time they have no record of my previous stay and I need to provide all contact information to them each time. The hotel is dated, and the decor is in need of a revamp. On several occasions I have had problems with noise in the hall, slamming doors. And most recently their own music so loud from an event that I could not sleep. I have received a room right in the middle of a wedding party on numerous occasions. This is a sure fire bet to have noise until 3 am minimum. This hotel is not focused on business travel. The restaurant is over priced, but this would be not as bad if the service was not extremely slow. I do not go there for breakfast as it takes minimum of 45 minutes.The restaurant is often closed when I need dinner and there are no alternatives nearby. The location is nice with great ocean views. I would not recommend this hotel to family or friends who are passing through the area on vacation. Especially if their main goal is a good night's sleep. This hotel needs to keep up with the times there's no movie channel and there's nowhere to plug in your gadgets to recharge them. This might be considered an advantage if you are looking for a peaceful quiet weekend - off the grid. But you will have people running up and down the hall making noise slamming their doors to disrupt you. Especially on weekends. And if they are hosting an event you will hear and feel the music in your room.

Room Tip: stay as far away from the lobby as possible. there's a hall and a lounge both of which you will...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to your recent stay with us. At Atlantica Hotel & Marina Oak Island, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your, or our own, expectations.

As being new to this property, I too have noticed some things that needed to be addressed. I am please to tell you that a number of the concerns you mentioned, we have started to make some changes to.

We have recently hired a Outlets Manager for the bar and restaurant. I am sure you would please with some of the changes that have already been made. We have changed our menus to be more fitting to our clientale base. Take a look at the website for the actual menus. We have been working on overall service standards as well which will be ongoing over the next 6 months.

In terms of room placement, we have started to preblock our wedding groups to avoid excessive noise for other guests. I know that these recent efforts do not change your experience. However, please understand that we are listening to our guests and trying to improve wherever we can.

I appreciate your comments and hope that you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves with our recent developments.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel is not located on Oak Island - as the name might suggest, but in Zwickers Cove closed to the shore. It's got its own marina. Oak island is a private property and there is no access without a special permission. The hotel has got a sober atmosphere and is in need of renovation. Rooms were rather dirty (beneath the desk we found some cornflakes left behind by previous guests...), bed clothes are worn and there is no safety deposit box. Our room was equipped with an electrical heater which was full of dust that was blown all over the room when we switched it on. There is a nice restaurant with a view over the bay. The service was good but the food was expensive and poor. My "lobster eggs benedict" boasting "2 pounds of lobster meat" on the menu did not contain more than a teaspoon full which I found only by investigating the toast thouroughly . The "blueberry pancakes" came with no blueberries at all. Most annoying was our telephone bill of 43 dollars (!) although we did not get any connection. My complaint at check out was handled by the young reception service assistant in the most unpolite manner I ever experienced in a hotel. We will certainly not come back and we are not going to stay in other Atlantica hotels.
The only thing we really enjoyed was the little museum in the hotel lobby with lots of information about the treasure hunt on Oak island.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Desdemona007
Angela S, General Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

To whom it may concern,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the short comings, you may have experienced in during your recent stay. At Atlantica Hotel & Marina Oak Island, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations.

I have taken your comments and concerns to the appropiate department heads. They have looked into the issues and have taken measures to ensure these are isolated incidents. We do appreciate that you have allowed us the opportunity to resolve these concerns for future guests. I know this does not make up for your experience but please know that we heard you and have addressed the challenges.

Thank you for your feedback as it is only possible to improve if we are aware of our guests concerns.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We recently had a girls spa weekend at Atlantica Oak Island and had a great time. They basically closed down the spa for us so we could be as loud and rambunctious as we wanted without disturbing anyone else. The spa and hair salon services were great and we were able to have a group pedicure at the end of our day. They were also able to arrange for some wine and chocolates for us. We had a good time in the dining room for supper and breakfast. Our only wish was for a better dessert menu. One of our group lost an expensive pair of Oakley sunglasses and housekeeping found them in a spa robe and returned them, we were very thankful.

Room Tip: We had the 2 junior suites on the second floor which unfortunately didn't have an ocean view but...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terri H

Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent experience with us. I know that after your visit, the spa team mentioned that you were a great bunch of ladies who had a great time. I want to thank you for your business and hope to see you back soon.
Cheers

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed 2 nights for a work conference. We arrived at about 9 pm on a Tuesday night to find the kitchen and bar at the resort both closed. We had to drive about 15 minutes to Chester to find a pub which served us bags of chips.

Breakfast the next morning was VERY slow. Overall I have to say the service from the staff did not excel during my stay.

The nicest thing about the resort are the chalets along the water which appear to have 3-4 bedrooms. They have fire pits and are quite clean and comfortable.

The conference room itself & the food was fine. Normal conference stuff.

Not sure if I would stay here if I was on vacation. Mind you the weather was crummy, but I really wasn't wowed by this place. Room was clean.. no complaints there. About a 75 minute drive from Halifax airport.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Irishman_27

To whom it may concern,
On behalf of the Atlantica Oak Island team, I would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced during your recent stay with us. Our food service does typically end at 9pm but we have recently extended the hours to 10pm on Friday and Saturday based on the regular demand.
I have taken your comments about your overall dining experience to our Outlets Manager and Chef for review . I know they have taken steps to resolve some of the time and product issues that you were concerned about.
I hope if you are in the area again, you will give us another try as this is not typical of our offering and services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Western Shore
Lunenburg Arms Hotel
Lunenburg Arms Hotel
#3 of 6 in Lunenburg
Fairmont House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!