“Great Little Restaurant In A Unique Setting”

The Railway Dining Car
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Tatamagouche
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great place. Unique. Great food. Loved everything about this place. Really neat to eat inside an old train. We will definitely go back to this restaurant again, and next time we hope to stay in one of the hotel rooms in the other train cars. Check it out!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had a wonderful breakfast in their cafe. How great to be able to help yourself to coffee and juice. Amazing pancakes ( I helped my friend finish them). I had 'acadian' toast. totally tasty. All of this in a cute little station. Definitely worth a stop. I will be going regularly. Warning - only open seasonally.

1  Thank KristineMcc
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have been to this place a few times over the last couple of years. It is so cool sitting in an old, renovated dining carriage, especially as trains don't travel east of Truro, NS and so this is one way of enjoying the experience, even if it is stationary! There are old photographs of Tatamagouche Railway Station (the carriage sits near the station house which is now an interesting gift shop) on the walls as well as other railway memorabilia. The dining tables are covered with nice tablecloths and have a small vase of fresh flowers on them, also a small photo album with pictures of trains etc.. Service has been consistently friendly and welcoming and the food consistently very fresh and very tasty.
Last time we were there we were given a freshly baked tea biscuit each with butter in a little dish. I had a lovely salmon sandwich. They should probably call it something else because “salmon sandwich” doesn’t seem to do it justice! Multigrain crusty roll about 6 inches long, cut in half, filled with 3 or 4 small, thin salmon patties made of salmon, a little green onion, a little wasabi plus slices of tomato and lettuce. I also had a tossed side salad: good variety of lettuces with small pieces of tomato, red pepper, etc. Oh, and they always put one of those edible flowers on the plate but I can never eat it because it’s so pretty, so I pressed it in a notebook that I had in my purse. I drank iced water – we were given a carafe of it – and that tasted good too. There is also a variety of drinks available.
My husband had fishcakes, which came with baked beans and the same kind of salad that I had. He enjoyed that, also a piece of delectable-looking blueberry cheesecake.
I look forward to our next visit!

1  Thank Polygona
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Went for Saturday lunch, not super busy. Service was friendly. Ordered the salmon sandwhich, it was really good but it was $14 and it didn't come with anything not even a pickle. Others in the group got the crab cakes and they really liked them. Biscuits served before the meal were quite good. Best part of course is the ambience.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was the 3rd or 4th visit to this restaurant. The service was excellent. Fresh brewed iced tea, perfect for the hot summer day we were there. I ordered the seafood chowder, it is excellent (and I am a bit of a chowder snob!). Great place for kids, a tasty, and healthy kids menu. The place is very charming, the ambiance and atmosphere taking you back to days when traveling by train in style was the way to get places! This location is also an inn, you can reserve different cars at different prices for overnight stays. I have not done this yet, but it's on my "to do" list. My sister had the quasadilla and it looked excellent. I also tasted her greek salad, and the dressing was home made and the best I've ever had. Recommend definite! Worth the drive to visit, and lots to see in the quaint little town of Tatamagouche where it's nestled. Recommend reservations.