All reviewscape bretonfish and chipsdining roomcabot trailrestaurant mealquiet spotwine glassesportion sizebeautiful locationlobstertwo nightsa great stayone night staycabinbuoysaccommodationspicnic
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We were on our way to Baddeck to tour the Cabot Trail on motorcycles, and we were behind schedule because of the rainy weather. It was beginning to get dark and we needed a place to stay for the night. We seen the sign for the Cove Motel and decided to stop. What a treat it was, the ladies at the front desk were especially helpful, even though the restaurant was closed at this time of night, they called the local pizza place to find out if they would deliver for us.
We were travelling as 2 couples and got 2 rooms side by side with a beautiful view of the water. The rooms were immaculately clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. The bedding, the carpeting and even some of the furniture seemed to be brand new. We were very comfortable, and believe me, we are quite picky about clean hotel rooms. In the morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant, again with a beautiful view of the water. Even though breakfast isn't included in the room price, it was well worth the extra. Both the service and the food were fantastic!
This stop turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip to the maritimes. After travelling for almost 3 days on the bikes, this stop was a pleasurel! If we had the time, we would have stopped again on our return trip, but were not able.
We would definitely recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank HOG-dogs
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stopped here on our way onto Cape Breton as well as on our return journey a couple of days later. It is an excellent location, off the highway with a beautiful view of the causeway and the hills on the other side. Our first stay saw it through fog and rain but it was very restful after a long drive. The attached restaurant is excellent but doesn't do breakfasts during the week. However there is a Tim Hortons a couple of minutes up the road.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2008

Definitely a special place - very serene, quiet, beautiful views. Simple accommodations, clean and good bed. The most surprising - a gourmet dinner in the restaurant and gorgeous views! My husband had the best fish and I had a superb pasta dish - first class! for such a small motel. Wonderful dinner and quiet comfortable stay. I would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnneGrimsby
Reviewed September 19, 2008

The Cove Motel is much more than you see in the photos on their website. From the second you turn onto the tree-lined drive you start to anticipate what may lie ahead.

The hotel is an incredible peninsula right on the Causeway.

The room is basic, but very clean. The bed was comfortable. Our room faced the causeway so we could see the bridge to Cape Breton and it was nice to walk right outside and be on the water. My husband and I took a morning walk along the rocks on the peninsula and then back up the tree-lined drive.

We heard that the restaurant was excellent and we were not disappointed. A must have: the Smoked Mussel chowder. The menu says its incredible and it is.

The gift shop was the best surprise of all. This was really a GIFT shop - not just tourist trap items. I bought many holiday gifts when I was there and since we were on a motorcycle, they offered to take them to the post office and have them shipped back to the US for us. I regret not buying a handpainted jacket when I was there! If I lived in Nova Scotia, I would do my gift-buying at the Cove Motel's gift shop.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We recently stayed here on the recommendation of another traveller we met in Wolfville. Although the restaurant serves a great meal, the motel is definitely overpriced ($108/night) -- no breakfast available (not even coffee). Room smelled of disinfectant -- and we found many bugs in the bathroom -- upon arrival at 4 p.m. and again in the morning when we got up. If you are heading to the Cabot Trail...I would recommend continuing one more hour to Baddeck and stay at the Telegraph Inn -- rates were cheaper and it included breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)