All reviews cape breton dining room fish and chips cabot trail restaurant meal quiet spot wine glasses portion size clean rooms beautiful location lobster two nights one night stay cabin buoys accommodations pei
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I write this as we are spending our second night at the Cove Motel. We were here two nights ago on our way to Cape Breton Island, and after staying on CBI one night and driving the Cabot Trail - we changed our plans to spend a second night up there, and instead came back here. The rooms are clean, the site and grounds are beautiful, and you are perched on the edge of the Canso Straight - within sight of the Causeway and ship locks.

The personnel at the desk and restaurant are friendly and helpful. There is a small guest laundry that was handy to get our mid-trip washing done; and it is a dog-friendly property. We stayed in the motel section, and there are a number of cabins also facing the water. The room was quiet - granted, they were not full.

We had dinner at their restaurant tonight, and were very pleased. My husband's steak was cooked correctly and was tasty, and my veggie pasta was also vey nice.

I would highly recommend The Cove to anyone for a layover, or a longer stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sfm132
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in the motel part, not the cabins. Room was average - clean and looked like it had been renovated recently. We made use of the laundry facilities on site which were handy. Did not eat at the restaurant as it seemed pricy and we were not hungry for a big meal. The location is nice, surrounded by water on three sides. Found the price quite high for what you got, in fact it was the most expensive on our trip through Nova Scotia, except for Halifax, and many of the less expensive ones included breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband, brother-in-law and I recently spent 2 nights at The Cove Motel while on a 2 week motorcycle tour of Canada's Maratime provinces. This was our 2nd time staying here. The first time we had one of the rooms facing the causeway that are attached to the restaurant. This time we had one of the small free standing cabins ("chalets") also on the water. The cabins are definitely more cozy and even have a small deck, but the bathrooms are awfully small (and I am only 4'11") and the "shower" was set to hardly more than a dribble. So, if a nice hot shower is a priority for you, go with the rooms!
The location is a perfect "home base" for riding the Cabot Trail, which takes about 4-5 hours. The restaurant now offers breakfast (don't think they did last time we were there) and the Smoked Mussell Chowder offered with the dinner menu is wonderful. There is a guest laudry and when we had motorcycle problems, the motel maintainence man was super helpful in getting us back on the road! All in all a nice place to stay. (But fix those showers!!)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2009

After staying at the super gross Jacques Cartier motel in Sydney, we were happy to come to the Cove Motel, where we had a free-standing cabin-style bungalow that had a cozy rustic feel. The bathroom was a little problematic, as the shower was teeny tiny (and we are small people) and the curtain constantly blows inward and sticks to your legs. The shower also didn't drain properly, so the water pooled a couple inches, which was a little gross. The whole cabin had a super 80s feel and certainly could use updating, but it was also charming in a way, so no complaints. If you are a large person, you should call and ask if the showers in the other rooms are larger than those in the cabins. I'm small and could barely turn around inside it.

I was not a fan of the restaurant, where the food was pricy and mediocre at best. the chowder and fish were both...well, super fishy. And the smoked mussel chowder was way way too heavy. it gave me insane explosive indigestion. sorry to be so graphic. I don't think you have a lot of options in the area, so I'm not saying don't eat there. It's more like don't waste your money getting something special like lobster - you should just eat simply there.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We picked this Motel after reading the reviews. What a mistake! The cabin smelled of cat urine and we were told it was from this new disinfectant their were using, yeah right!
The restaurant was way over priced and the service was incredibly slow...it took them 10 minutes to set a table for 5, not because it was busy, it was empty except for two other tables. I realize things slow down on the east coast, been there many times, but that was ridiculous. The only thing this place has going for it is the location, beautiful views. Next time, I think we'll stay in Baddeck.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family