“Would not return” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Syracuse, NY
“Would not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

There aren't many places to dine in Parrsboro and since there were always several cars in the parking lot we decided to stop here on our way back to our B&B from Advocate Harbour. This really is a local place and it seemed like everyone there knew each other and were happy with their meals. Not so for us! My husband ordered the fish burger which was all breading and very greasy tasting. I ordered the lasagna and it tasted ok but it was not what I would call lasagna....more like goulash...meat, lasagna noodles and sauce.....no ricotta cheese to be found! I could not eat the side salad I ordered. It was covered with artificial bacon bits and the dressing tasted like plain mayonnaise. The waitress who only came back long after we had finished eating asked if there was something wrong when she saw our unfinished meals but never tried to make any adjustments. I generally only do reviews of places that I like, but since I rely on these reviews I have to be honest. I definitely would not return.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank AngieSyracuse_NY

Kingsport, NS
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were traveling through the area & stopped in for a quick bite to eat. We chose a "booth" to sit at. The table was a folding table like you'd see at a flea market or something.....interesting :( Since it was late afternoon we decided just to order a couple appetizers to tie us over until supper. We ordered garlic bread with cheese & nachos. The garlic bread was ok but the nachos were the smallest portion of nachos I have ever seen for $10! Generally a plate of nachos is more than enough to feed a couple but these were without a doubt the cheapest looking order of nachos I have ever eaten. Both my boyfriend & myself were extremely disappointed by not only the size but the nachos themselves, nothing great. Definitely would not make a repeat appearance at this establishment.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kelly S
Calgary
“Great food and excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

A group of 30 of us went for dinner there and they handled it like pros. The food was great, big portions and well made.

Visited August 2012
Truro, Canada
“Great Seafood Platter!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Great seafood platter-lots of variety and portion size was great, delicious milkshake, awesome nachos! Servers were excellent! Would come back again if we were in the area!

Visited August 2012
Heathrow, Florida
“An excellent review for an excellent lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

My Nova Scotia hiking adventure took a sudden unexpected turn and I found myself in Parrsboro. I discovered this restaurant on my quest to find wi-fi. Of course they had wi-fi... they rock. This is a family restaurant and lounge. It is not a five-star, fine-dining, exclusive cafe or up scale anything. It is a locally owned and run restaurant. If you are out for the local culture and a real Nova Scotia food experience, this place is a must! Every employee I spoke with was pleasant, cordial and knowledgable about the food they serve. The service was executed with a smile and timely. I inquired about local beers and the server informed me that most locals prefer Keith's. I responded, "I will have one of those!" and a good brew it was... for sure. We chatted for a while and she informed me of the local "to see's" and "time wasters." It was moderately busy but the staff was patient and cool. I ordered the fried clams and they were perfect... locally harvested and weren't gritty, chewy or greasy! Some of the staff actually sat down to talk to me. Some of the nicest people I've met so far in Canada. The next time I take a road-trip or adventure, I will definitely stop back by. Two thumbs up from the "PhillicleFile" you can find me on G+, Facebook, Twitter and just about everywhere else. :D

• Visited August 2012