“Clean and well-maintained, but nothing special overall.”
Review of The Sunshine Inn

The Sunshine Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrsboro
Halifax Nova Scotia
“Clean and well-maintained, but nothing special overall.”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We spent two nights here with our 8 and 11 year old kids. The room was exceptionally well-maintained, and as someone else said, immaculately clean. However, it was definitely a motel room--space for the beds and not much else. Even though they were full, we found it very quiet--more a function of the guests they attract (we were able to hear a little chat when people were coming and going, but the other guests were considerate and not noisy), but however I get an undisturbed sleep, I appreciate it. Tv didn't get a bunch of channels, and while I did get a weak wifi signal, I couldn't test it out as I hadn't asked for the network key. (And there was no in-room phone to call the office). Bath towels were good, but hand towels were virtually threadbare.

For us, the most unsastisfactory part was the a la carte breakfast. Our table for four was barely big enough for two, which was a bad start. The food was very generous, and my omelette was quite tasty. However, there were no small/cheaper options. My 8 year old ate one of the four huge pancakes she received (about $7 I believe), and my 11 year old only got half way through his 3 slices of french toast, yummy as it was. Add another $2 each for their milk (tea/coffee included but not cold drinks) and we paid over $40 for a breakfast that only got half eaten. Not very family friendly. If I went again I'd ask if we could split two breakfasts, and order some extra toast on the side. But a good host, in my opinion, would have warned us the portions were huge for children, and offered up front to split an order. Oh, and it's cash-only for breakfast.

Most of the other guests seemed to be adult couples, and had that been our situation, the size of the room (small) and the size of the breakfast (large) probably would've been fine. I wouldn't recommend it for families, though honestly, it doesn't look like there's much better to choose from in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank noelx4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We spent one night at this motel and were impressed by how clean and fresh the room was. The next morning we had breakfast at the motel and this was the best part. We chatted with the owners for ages, who are genuinely helpful and friendly. The breakfast was excellent too. A great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daltry
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We also enjoyed ourselves very much at The Sunshine Inn. The clean room and the hospitality are legendary. We will be back!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue_S73
Toronto
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This Motel is the cleanest we have stayed in for a long time. We ask for a scent free room when we reserved and we were not disappointed. It was much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank canadian_adventures2
Ontario
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We found this gem in the Nova Scotia Doers and Dreamers Book, and were lucky enough to book a room for 2 nights in July of 2009. The owners were so nice and welcoming, our room was immaculate, and we loved the location as it was central to many things we wanted to see in Nova Scotia. My chef husband and I both enjoyed the breakfasts that they served, all the patrons talked with each other, and they made special pancakes for our 2 year old daughter. A blueberry farmer was having breakfast there and heard us ask when blueberry season was...and it was obvious we were disappointed that we were about 2 weeks early. The blueberry farmer took us out to his field and told us to take whatever we wanted! That's the kind of place this hotel is!
We absolutely recommend this place, and I'm now planning our trip for this year, and hopeful that we can get a cabin!
If the owners read this, it's Jim and Mary from St. Thomas Ontario! Can't wait to get back to Parrsboro!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WeLoVeNoVaScOtIa3
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Sunshine Inn is a small motel with cottages right outside of Parrsboro, NS. Our group stayed in the accessible cottage and one of the motel rooms. Both rooms were very clean and served our purposes well. The hosts were very accommodating and truly belong in the hospitality industry. They were pleasant to chat with, were helpful with any request, and made us feel very welcome.

One of the best parts of the motel was its adjacent blueberry field. We picked blueberries a lot. The motel's restaurant also served fabulous blueberry pancakes (more than you can eat)!

The breakfast at their restaurant is reportedly "the best breakfast in town." I don't know that I could disagree because we liked it so much we didn't eat anywhere else. They have many choices with very reasonable prices (breakfast for $5-10). The restaurant is run by the couple that owns the motel (they are the chefs, waitstaff, etc). It is only open for breakfast.

The motel does have wireless internet, but you usually have to go outside and close to the office (or just sit in the restaurant) in order to pick up the signal.

If I am in Parrsboro again, I would definitely stay at the Sunshine Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank D-Phud
New York
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I am from upstate NY and recently traveled through Nova Scotia with about ten others on a hiking trip for a college class. We spent one night in Parrsboro at the Sunshine Inn and I wish that every place we stayed was as lovely as this motel. The couple who runs the place are great. Not only were our rooms modern and spotless, there was a definite sense of comfort and security. The next morning, breakfast at the little diner attached was amazing. The coffee was the best I have had in a long time and the blueberry pancakes were amazing. The couple and their daughter were making the food and taking care of us and we extremely kind and friendly. When I mentioned that I hated to leave my leftovers (we were traveling and eating out of coolers), the man (sadly, I can't remember his name) surprised me by putting my eggs on two slices of wheat toast and then wrapping it up nicely for me to eat later. It was so sweet. I rarely see hospitality and kindness when staying anywhere. I would absolutely recommend The Sunshine Inn!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Angelina2215
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parrsboro
Old Orchard Inn & Spa
Gillespie House Inn
Gillespie House Inn
#3 of 7 in Parrsboro
Farmhouse Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Sunshine Inn? Share your experiences!