“Cigarette Smoke”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in New Glasgow
Halifax
“Cigarette Smoke”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel reeks of cigarette smoke. Not a great hotel if you are a non-smoker. Even the non-smoking rooms stink. The breakfast area is their lobby with very limited seating. I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Diane M, General Manager at Comfort Inn - New Glasgow, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear caper24,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I would like to offer my apology that your recent experience was not satisfactory. We admit that sometimes the smell from our smoking-optional rooms can carry beyond the closed room doors and we would like to assure you that this problem has been identified.

Our upcoming planned renovations will help to alleviate these incidences. We do, at present, have two completely non-smoking wings in the property which are available as well. I would also like to mention that our upcoming renovations plan for an expanded breakfast offering and seating area.

We are really looking forward to improving our guest experience with these enhancements and hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel and have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.

Diane Mahar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The New Glasgow Comfort Inn exceeded my expectations. My room was larger than expected with a very comfortable bed, a sitting area and a bar fridge. The staff were among the friendliest I've encountered and I appreciated the call the first night to be sure everything was meeting expectations. The continental breakfast was more than adequae with more choices than usual for this sort of breakfast. Again, staff were very attentive to the breakfast area and constantly replenishing. There is no elevator so if that's an issue it would be adviseable to request a first floor room. While most of the rooms seemed to be non-smoking, there was a strong smell of smoke in the hallways. Thankfully, this did not affect my guest room. A great choice while in the New Glasgow area.

Room Tip: Book a room on the ground floor if you have heavy luggage as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Diane M, General Manager at Comfort Inn - New Glasgow, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear BettyB3928,

Many thanks for contributing your comments to Trip Advisor and being such a great ambassador of our property.

On behalf of the entire team, our sincere thanks for choosing Comfort Inn New Glasgow. We hope to see you again on your next trip to the area.

Jannali, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here just one night during a recent trip and overall was satisfied with everything except the quality of sleep which is important on long trips. There was only a few rooms available when I arrived, but the room I was given had so much traffic noise, also noise from people closing doors at all hours,noise from people at the 2 adjacent restaurants(not the hotel's fault of course).Also the girl at check-in disappeared for about 10 minutes when some other people were trying to find out about the availability of rooms(I was using the internet),which to me is not satisfactory for a place charging over $120 for a room. The room itself was clean, spacious and the bed comfortable.The breakfast was typical of this chain,OK but not great.Also the water is not free(I read other reviews), it is $2 which is ridiculous for a pricey room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from traffic noise as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear DerekHulme,

I would like to thank you for choosing Comfort Inn for your recent trip to New Glasgow and also for taking the time to write a review of our property.

My sincere apologies for the noise disturbance you encountered during your stay. Please don’t hesitate to bring such matters to the attention of our Guest Service Staff as they may be able to offer an alternative room that it is in a quieter location in future.

Thank you again for your comments. Both the positive, and negative, feedback that you have provided will allow us to make improvements to our operation.

New York, NY
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Pretty good hotel. Average rates for the area. The front desk wasn't particularly friendly or efficient (check-in took a very long time, and we were prepaid), but at least they weren't rude. I loved how the hotel was pretty close to the Caribou ferry, because we wanted to catch the 9:30am ride over to Prince Edward Island. But I didn't love how there was no dining area for breakfast. So we had to stand in a line with trays, fill up with food, and then bring it back to our rooms to eat.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Deborah W,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Comfort Inn New Glasgow and for posting them on Trip Advisor. It is guest feedback that encourages us to improve in areas that did not meet or exceed expectations.

We are glad that you chose to stay with us prior to catching the morning ferry to PEI and it is our hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Nova Scotia.

Miramichi
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed one night in order to attend the New Glasgow Riverfront Jubilee. Our stay was without incident. The room was clean and relatively well updated. The staff were very friendly and efficient. I liked the complimentary newspaper at our door in the morning. There was also a large complimentary bottle of water in our room which we were impressed to see. However, this was the first time in my life that bottled water tasted terrible. It was a brand we had never tried before called "Montclair". We honestly could not drink it. As with other reviewers, we were also disappointed with the continental breakfast. There was a very small seating area and limited selection. In total, over $140 for a room with a queen bed and continental breakfast with limited selection. This is a bit pricey compared to past experience. I am pleased to read that there are plans to expand the breakfast area. If they also expand the options to include hot items such as scrambled eggs, waffles, etc., I would definitely give this Comfort Inn a solid 4 as there would be better value for what you pay. All in all, an average to good experience.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Underduraltension
Diane M, General Manager at Comfort Inn - New Glasgow, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Underduraltension,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us this past weekend. I was happy to read that you found the staff performance and accommodations to be to your satisfaction and would like to apologize for your dissatisfaction regarding the in-room bottled water. I appreciate hearing this comment as we have not heard this before and now that it has been brought to our attention, I will follow up with the distributor.
As you have mentioned, our breakfast serving area is currently quite small, but we are very much looking forward to our expansion later this year. At that time, we do in fact plan to expand our breakfast offering to include more hot item selections as well!
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future so that you may experience our new enhancements.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed recently at the Comfort Inn and could smell the beautiful flowers as soon as I got out of my car. The staff were very friendly and helpful as always. This hotel is conveniently located just off the highway and is great for business travel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank IslandgirlEMT
Diane M, General Manager at Comfort Inn - New Glasgow, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear IslandGirlEMT,

We appreciate that you took the time to recommend our property on Trip Advisor and are happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful flowers while you were. I hope that you’ll return again soon on your next visit to New Glasgow.

Sydney, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I love this Comfort Inn! We always receive great service, and a very clean, comfortable room! The friendly staff make this my hotel of choice whenever I am in the New Glasgow area!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Maritimers0513
Diane M, General Manager at Comfort Inn - New Glasgow, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Maritimers0513,

Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy your stays with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Glasgow
#1 of 12 in Pictou
The Lionstone Inn
The Lionstone Inn
#2 of 3 in Pictou

Been to Comfort Inn - New Glasgow? Share your experiences!