“Best Restaurant on the South Shore!”
Review of Mateus Bistro

Mateus Bistro
Ranked #5 of 22 Restaurants in Mahone Bay
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New Owner Was Cheesecake Gallery
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is the best restaurant I have ever been to. My partner and I have eaten at and worked at some if the best restaurants in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Halifax. This is on par with them.

My partner had the foie gras and he cried over how good it was, and he has had foie gras at "Au Pied Du Cochon."
(If you haven't heard of it, look it up here: http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/ )

The food is flavourful without being overly complex. The quality of the ingredients is allowed to stand, no, make that sing!

Everything was fresh, perfectly cooked and reasonably sized portions - filling, but not so much so that you over eat. This is not a supersize kind of place.

The presentation was five star, as was the service which is warm, knowledgeable, helpful and genuine. The atmosphere was inviting with a touch of metropolitan flare. We sat at the walnut bar on this particular visit (number 7) and loved the difference in atmosphere each area of the dining room offers. I wish I could eat at Mateus' everyday. I can't wait until next time!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have lived on the South Shore of Nova Scotia since 1964 and over the past 48 years I have visited many restaurants and I do have my favourites. Mateus Bistro, located in the centre of Mahone Bay, is one that tops the list. The town of Mahone Bay is about one hour from Halifax and just a short drive from Lunenburg and Bridgewater. The town of Mahone Bay offers a variety of interesting shops and Mateus Bistro is always a great place to enjoy lunch, an afternoon break or dinner in the evening.
I enjoy their outdoor cafe during the hot summer months and I enjoy their cozy comfort during the chilly winter months. Their food is nothing short of delicious. Yesterday my sister and I went for weekend brunch. Their menu is extensive with lots to pick from. Everything on the menu is homemade and nutritious. We enjoyed their homemade Jerusalem artichoke soup made by Brittany. It was steamy hot and served in a very good size bowl with two slices of French bread. A great way to warm up on a December day. For dessert we had their homemade vanilla ice cream with chocolate chunks sprinkled with homemade caramel sauce, whipped cream with for an added touch blueberries and raspberries. The lunch was super delicious. I have eaten at Mateus Bistro many times and I have never been disappointed. The staff is warm, friendly and efficient. Mateus Bistro has such a comfortable feeling and is so inviting. The interior of the Bistro has a cozy, down home comfort and the several intimate dining rooms are decorated with colourful paintings by Tom Dronyk. If you are travelling to the South Shore of Nova Scotia be sure to stop by Mateus Bistro for a meal. You will not be disappointed. Make sure you call and check for their winter hours.

1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had a terrific lunch at Mateus Bistro today and we had an equally wonderful lunch a couple of months ago. Excellent and friendly service as only Nova Scotians can dish out. Loved it.

On a Monday the Bistro was lively and happily nearly full with patrons enjoying a stormy day inside.

The owner/chef Matt came out for a chat and we were able to thank him for his handywork - I had the smoked chicken risotto with a crisp salad on the side, beautiful pino wine, a 10 year old Port and a chocolate confection for dessert. My husband had a beautiful fish chowder with a couple of pieces of baguette on the side and an amazing peach tart with cream - omg.

The cost is modest and the food is grassroots and elegant all at the same turn.

The Bistro is in a lovely old building that is cozy and well appointed. Mahone Bay is lucky to have such a great local restaurant serving food with such care and commitment to excellence.

You will enjoy this place. You won't have any regrets eating here. A big thank you to fine experience in the lovely Mahone Bay.

1  Thank atlanticbase
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Food and atmosphere so wonderful... We eat there monthly and truly enjoy the changes in menu with the season. There is nothing like eating healthy,locally grown food when possible.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our family went to Mateus to celebrate a birthday. There were 5 adults, the majority of who are vegetarian. When booking our reservations we specifically asked about vegetarian options and were assured that the chef would work with us to modify whatever dishes we wanted. We arrived and while our server was very friendly and tried to be helpful, they only had one vegetarian option and were not able/willing to modify anything else on the menu. Four out of the five of us ended up with the same dish, a portobello mushroom dish. While this dish was fairly good, we felt that we were misled when booking the reservation and wished that they would have been upfront about this ability to accommodate our dietary needs.

11  Thank Robin L