“Mahone Bay Fixture”

The Biscuit Eater Cafe & Books
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Mahone Bay
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Biscuit Eater is a friendly community cafe and bookstore serving homemade, handmade goodness in Mahone Bay's oldest building. Fresh baked buttermilk biscuits, locally roasted coffee, stacks of cookies and baked treats, delicious soups, sandwiches and daily specials are all made with care daily by new owners Jessika and Chris and our talented chef Laurie Zwicker. Take a seat by the hearth in a cozy chair, have lunch in the library, grab a snack to go, or visit with old and new friends in the common room - here the warmth of community is alive, well, and waiting to welcome you. We are accessible, family friendly, inclusive and open to all our neighbours from our oldest customer (98!) to biscuit babies. Our new winter hours are Monday - Saturday from 9-4, keep your eye on our Facebook page for evening events, markets, and workshops. We are also available to host your special events, weddings, and creative retreats, contact us with your ideas and collaborations!
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am a semi-regular at The Biscuit Eater, and have been since its inception several years ago. It's been through a change of ownership, but has come out very well on the other side. There are wonderful meals to be had here - a selection of sandwiches, salads, and other meals, including the eponymous biscuit, which is a very good biscuit indeed. The Biscuit Eater is an important part of Mahone Bay, not only because of its lovely food and drinks, but because of its constant support of the arts. There are musical and literary events frequently throughout the year (it remains open throughout the year, something not all businesses do here) - and it maintains a well-stocked and varied bookstore, with both used books and new books - including those by local authors. It is an important and delicious part of the community!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Tucked away in a corner, off the main drag, The Biscuit Eater is an institution. I look forward to visits to Mahone Bay so I can get cozy at the BE and devour one of their AMAZING biscuits with The Works: butter, cheddar and jam, with a mug of Earl Grey Cream Tea. The free wi-fi is an added bonus. Although this is a fun place to go for a chat with friends, I particularly like going in alone (often first thing in the morning) to do some work, people-watch (I have overheard some hilarious conversations) and eat a second breakfast. The owners and servers are friendly – a home-away-from-home for sure! Some places are a little snooty to a single person, but I've never experienced that at the BE. PS: The Life-Affirming Muffins are also incredibly delicious.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I have been going to The Biscuit, as we call it, since they opened several years ago. We feel like it is our neighbourhood cafe, a frequent weekend stop, even though it is about 25 minutes away for us and requires a visit as a destination. We were friends with the previous owners and have been happy to meet and get to know the current owners who bought the place a little over a year ago. While we always enjoyed the cozy ambiance of the eclectic art and book-lined walls, they have given it a fresh uplift, both in the decor and the food, adding some international flair here and there, a bigger lunch menu, the occasional special dinner offering and also weekend brunch. And wine & beer offerings.

Being myself mostly wheat-free these days I skip the sandwiches (although Gluten-free bread is available), but I love their soups which are always tasty and huge bowls, enjoy their gluten-free sweet offerings, and will still indulge in an occasional muffin or NY cheesecake with haskap or blue berries, because they are so yummy. I also like the basic English breakfast offering on weekends although they have fancier items too. I just can't pass up a good egg scramble with roasted potatoes and fried tomatoes (and gluten-free toast). Everything is freshly made to order.

We almost always sit at a table for 2 in the "library" where I browse used books, but in the summer the patio with it's grape-vine-covered pergola is an oasis. Personally, I find the staff have always been friendly and attentive and a long wait is rare. They do have ebbs and flows of crowds arriving all at once, Mahone Bay is a tourist town with many festivals, and is a destination for many from the city on weekends, although it does seem unpredictable (as to when it will be super busy) in our experience. And we love it because we always run into our friends there! Overall, a great place!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I decided to take a visiting friend to this restaurant after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. What a disappointment. The restaurant was not busy and we were given a table immediately. Our server took our orders (tea, coffee, sandwich and a burger) and left us sit for at least thirty minutes. She disappeared! We were ready to get up and leave but another "server" strolled by and asked if we wanted menus. We said we ordered already and would at least like our tea and coffee. She responded with a shrug! Then a gentleman brought us menus and we told him that we had ordered and he actually seemed to care and went to look for our meals. He returned with them in a few minutes but still no tea or coffee or utensils! Then the original server came in with our drinks... At last. I had to go to a side coffee counter to get some milk but we finally had our meal. No explanations, nothing. We ate our lunch (nothing spectacular) and left. After waiting in line at the cash while the "shrugger" chatted with an obvious acquaintance for at least five minutes, we paid, left and vowed to never go again. If you really want to go to a restaurant where you are made to feel like you're an inconvenience, this is the place for you; otherwise, give it a pass.

2  Thank HStoddard61
TheBiscuitEater, General Manager at The Biscuit Eater Cafe & Books, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Frankly, H.Stoddard from nearby Lunenburg, it's difficult to imagine anyone waiting for 30 minutes when the cafe is not busy. That's our average wait time during peak season.

From your comments about the number of staff working at that time, there were likely many visitors - either on the deck, in the dining room, or in the library areas. But we apologize and welcome you back so you can experience the excellent service and food that has made us one of the most popular restaurants in the area.
The Biscuit Eater

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were excited to try this restaurant based on the reviews and the fact that it has the distinction of Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence for 2013. There are definite expectations from a restaurant, no matter how small, large, busy or slow, that one expects with a "certificate of excellence". My husband and I had lunch at The Biscuit Eater Cafe on Friday, September 27th. It was busy and they were kind enough to find a seat for us. As reviewer Peter C said, perhaps the service was slow due to an off day. Well, here was another "off" day. Once were shown our lovely seats in the library our server disappeared for approximately 45 min before coming back to take our order. We ordered a beer, a glass of wine, a burger (very good) and the Brit sandwich, which is essentially an open face ham sandwich on a large (hard) biscuit. No one in that time period came over to offer water, to serve us our drink order, to apologize for the delay, to offer any explanation as to why it would be so incredibly slow, and so on. We were inclined to leave a number of times, but thought that someone would be by any minute.Our drinks arrived about one hour after we were seated, our lunch arrived after we finished our drinks. Really, how difficult can it be to make a sandwich. Sorry, but this place does not deserve the Certificate of Excellence. In my books, that would mean consistent quality service regardless of how busy it is. Perhaps someone should have told us the wait would be over an hour then we could have enjoyed the day, which was gorgeous, and found a different and lovely eatery in Mahone Bay. The food was fine, but I can't give it the 5* rating because the exceptionally long wait ruined the dining experience overall. Almost 2 hours for a sandwich and a burger is unacceptable. Not for a lunch. Will not be back, cannot recommend.

3  Thank luba1524