“Best Hidden Gem”

The Biscuit Eater Cafe & Books
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Mahone Bay
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Biscuit Eater is a friendly community cafe and bookstore serving homemade, handmade goodness in Mahone Bay's oldest building. Fresh baked buttermilk biscuits, locally roasted coffee, stacks of cookies and baked treats, delicious soups, sandwiches and daily specials are all made with care daily by new owners Jessika and Chris and our talented chef Laurie Zwicker. Take a seat by the hearth in a cozy chair, have lunch in the library, grab a snack to go, or visit with old and new friends in the common room - here the warmth of community is alive, well, and waiting to welcome you. We are accessible, family friendly, inclusive and open to all our neighbours from our oldest customer (98!) to biscuit babies. Our new winter hours are Monday - Saturday from 9-4, keep your eye on our Facebook page for evening events, markets, and workshops. We are also available to host your special events, weddings, and creative retreats, contact us with your ideas and collaborations!
Reviewed September 16, 2013

One block off the main drag, a hidden favourite of the locals (and that always tells you something). It is my favourite place in my favourite town, for a relaxing coffee and nibbles, or lunch on my own or with friends. Delicious first pick for me is the biscuit and jam, or for lunch, the smoked salmon bagel, then carrot cake, or any sweet thing! The staff don't push you out the door and always provide pleasant chat and updates if you like. I enjoy being surrounded by comfy chairs and tables in the more open side, or sitting at the 2 seater tables with bar height chairs in the used and new books section. Browsing titles is the extra icing on the cake for the inquiring mind. The outdoor deck is equally quiet and private surrounded by trees and a soothing natural garden, not noisy traffic. Prices are in the right ballpark. Main Street is nice, but wander the short detour to the Biscuit Eater for the real "deal"!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Yesterday I had the best sandwich I have ever had any place in the world! The Diavolo I believe was the name. Great cafe, great food, lovely deck away from traffic.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had lunch at The Biscuit Eater Cafe last week--borscht that was so good I have to say it's the best I've ever had. Cara stopped by our table to chat, and told us she'd lived for years in a Russian community in B.C.--and that she'd share the recipe with us! That's what you'll have if you eat there--truly excellent cuisine, and warm personal attention from the wonderful owners and staff. The surroundings are lovely, too, summer especially, with the deck, grape arbour, flowers and kitchen garden, but also indoors, both summer and winter.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Biscuit Eater just gets better and better. My fear is that Cara and Frederick, the owners, might ever consider leaving. It is a warm, friendly, cozy space to meet friends, eat terrific food and relax with a Chai Latte in comfortable chairs with books all around. I have been a frequent visitor to the Biscuit Eater and recommend it to everyone I know as the best place to eat or just hang out in the South Shore.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Every time I visit my friend's cottage outside Bridgewater, we HAVE to "do lunch" at this wonderful place. Food is amazing and reasonably priced! The staff and owners make you feel as though you are guests in their home. Must try the outside patio as it is so relaxing. Makes you feel as though you are eating in a tropical location! Thanks Cara and Frederick!
Cindy J