“Very nice!”

Canton, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice!”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

View is great, beer is very good, food is good, fast service? no. Plan on spending some time there - very European service.

I would recommend this place to any traveling through or to Guysborough. Especially if its warm out and you can sit on the outdoor patio.

Watching boats, smelling clean sea air, feeling ocean breeze - excellent experience.

Music on weekends is also good.

1 Thank Lobster_Golfer

Londonderry, New Hampshire
“Rare Bird and One of the Best in Nova Scotia”
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We didn't dine at the Rare Bird until our first trip to the area was almost over but it will be one of our first stops on our next trip. It offers simple waterfront charm, excellent food, and a touch of class. The service was friendly, attentive, and prompt. All this and you'll still feel comfortable dressed in cutoffs after a day on the trail or decked out for a romantic date.

Northeastern, Nova Scotia
“Business lunch goes great”
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I was introducing my sales manager (s.m.) to the Guysborough area today (July 13, 2006). Although he has lived 56 kms away for 5 years he has never been here. First he was amazed by the unspoiled local scenery and historic properties; then by the Rare Bird Pub! We parked below by the waterfront and walked up the stairs to the Pub. We chose to sit near the brewery (on the other side of the glass) and watch the brewmaster in action. The waiter was pleasant and suggested we try the house brewed samplers rather than choose just one beer. The Hummingbird wheat beer was fantastic. It was lite in colour but not in taste, it went down too easily. The food arrived before we sampled the second beer. I had the lunch special roast chicken, penne in a cream sauce with garlic toast, my s.m. had the 'Guysburger' with fresh cut fries and garnishes. The food was great; served hot, served quickly and went so well with the second and third samplers. The second was an amber scotch ale and the third a darker beer. During the meal we had the opportunity to chat with the brewmaster between his tasks. He explained the process and the slight adaptations he had made to the beer. My s.m. found his favorite and had a glass of the darker beer. The food portions were generous, too much so for my s.m. as he couldn't finish. My s.m. had coffee to finish, I was more than satisfied with my meal at that point. We were offered to browse through the upstairs lounge / reception area. My s.m. said it reminded him of a classic cigar lounge with the many different coffee tables and large chairs. We noticed the staff preparing the wood fired pizza oven as we paid our account. My s.m. said next trip he would certainly have to try the pizza.

My s.m. commented on our way back that we should have planned to stay the afternoon. He said that he had always loved a neighborhood pub and the atmosphere but until now had not found one in our area. He also stated that he had wondered where to take visitors from the west coast when they came to stay. He now plans to take them to Guysborough and the Rare Bird Pub.

It was an all inclusive, fantastic, visit to the Rare Bird Pub. I plan to stop by with family this week for the community festivities and bring the Quebec relatives in August.

A TripAdvisor Member
“food at the pub on July 08/06 atnoon until 1400 hrs.”
Reviewed July 11, 2006

PiZZA SAND. soggy( apply oil broil then apply tomato sauce, coffee cold
soup and tuna sand. tuna dark was not asked what type of bread
fish and chips ?frozen fish too deep fried this gentleman had a much better meal at Gabrieles in Antigonish this eve for the same price ( soup , pasta with mussels}
My sis asked if the tuna was white for the wrap and she was assured it was , however it was brown tuna.The greek salad was wet.
Out of the six off us we felt that the best meal may well have been the fish cakes. The coffee was cool even on the deck . Suggest thermos of coffee. The view was awesome, the waitress was polite and cheerful , we did not complain but later when we joined some locals they said "you went there the food is awful" You know having over the years cooked for a large family i too felt the same way. However , having lived there i was more than anxious to show off the area and as well include a lunch, my friends , also enjoy food and preparing it , this fanfare was less than .what we had expected for a lunch.
we felt as a group that you would appreciate knowing that we will try you again and hope that some changes could make a huge difference

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member