Review Highlights

United Kingdom
Well worth your time

Pataec
West Palm Beach, Florida

All reviews acadian history national historic site nova scotia beautiful grounds memorial church minute film excellent film interpretive center evangeline beach multimedia presentation gift shop annapolis valley sad history well worth the visit closed for the season french settlers great place to visit
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Friendly, knowlegedable staff. Interesting film and displays. Lovely gardens to explore and the little church was just delightful. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a well laid out site to tell the story of the Acadians and their deportation from Nova Scotia. The grounds are lovely and the fall foliage was the icing on the cake. There's a museum section and film that give a feel for that part of history. The church has been rebuilt from the original and again contributes to the story. A story well told and should not be forgotten.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our cruise ship docked in Halifax and we rented a car to drive out to Grand Pré National Historic Site. It is less than an hour from town, situated in a rural area surrounded by vineyards and prairies that look out to the sea. In October, the colors are intense even on a dull day. I had been moved to tears as a child by the beautiful Longfellow poem, Evangeline, which starts "This is the forest primeval"...and I wanted to find out more about the Acadians. The 20 minute film is well made and the exhibits are good, but what I found to be must helpful in understanding the deportation were the beautiful little oil paintings in the memorial chapel. This UNESCO World Heritage site is well worth your time.

Reviewed October 10, 2018

Stop in trhe visitor's center and take the time to see the movie, very educational regarding the Acadian Deportation. Grounds are beautiful, and well worth taking some time just to walk around and enjoy the site.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

A moving sight for anyone, but especially for anyone with Acadian heritage. The introductory film does an incredible job of telling the story of Le Grand Derangement.

Reviewed October 1, 2018

I visited Grand pre when I was a little girl long before the interpretive center was added. It was a memorable experience then, but I learned only a little about what had happened. The site now has a wonderful learning center with films and exhibits along with the church and the monument. I learned so much more. With the added context and depth of the story now available to visitors the experience became truly moving. I highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed September 30, 2018

We stopped in the Grand Pre National Historic Site not knowing what to expect really. We got our tickets just in time for the next showing of the movie explaining the Acadian Removal. It's available in both French and English. Although the film quality could be better, it was educational and just about the right length. Inside there is a good exhibit on how the land was reclaimed using dykes and simple but efective engineering. From there, we wandered the grounds, which includes the memorial church and the statue of Evangeline.

Reviewed September 29, 2018

This UNESCO World Heritage site is a amazing monument to the Acadian people and their expulsion to various other areas. The grounds are beautiful including the statue of Evangeline. The center is just packed with information and photos and a short film. We learned so much about the people and their struggles. This is really a worthwhile stop while in Nova Scotia.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

Very nice interpretative center, sweet theater, interesting film. Lots of thought went into creating this center. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Clean, large, pleasant.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

If you are one of the millions of people world-wide that are descended from the Acadian people who were deported from Canada, this is a must see. The little museum gives the history of Grand Pré prior to the deportation, the reasons for it, etc. The grounds are lovely and well-kept. The church is just a memorial, not even a replica because no description exists. I met a gentleman who asked if I knew the history. I told him I did, and was a descendant. When he told me his name, I shared that I had that name in my family tree & he hugged me like a long lost cousin!