“Stay at the motel - eat at their restaurant”

Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.
Ranked #2 of 3 Grand Pre B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Evangeline Motel is a nice, clean basic motel near the Acadian Heritage Center. We enjoyed our stay (but bring your own "do not disturb" sign because they don't provide them and they clean early AM). Be sure to eat at their restaurant and have their homemade pie (the peach was incredible). They make a great breakfast, too. Note: limited hours and they're always busy (open at 8AM and close at 7PM). It's the best place in the Grand Pre/Wolfville area to eat.

Warning: the intersection Evangeline's is located on is very busy and experiences lots of accidents (high speed).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lincoln D

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for a night with my tour group and was not disappointed. Set up like a motor inn, all of the rooms were clean and pretty quiet given that it is situated on a hill above a highway. Staff was friendly and I had no complaints from any of my clients.

The restaurant had a basic breakfast menu, and was served as described. We were not looking for a gourmet breakfast and didn't expect such. One member of the group is celiac and the waitstaff had items that fit right into her gluten free needs with no problems.

If you go in with the expectation of a well-cooked, but basic breakfast, you are going to be happy...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We booked the advertised 4* B&B experience at the "Evangeline Inn" on the understanding that it was to be a B&B, i.e. a house where the owner lives and rents out rooms, looks after your needs, provides breakfast etc. Well it wasn't like this at all. It was an old empty house situated in the grounds of the more modern Motel about 5 miles from Wolfville town. Breakfast was by way of a voucher that you took 75 yards down a hill to a cafe by the main road, that was used not only by motel guests, but by passers by. It was run purely on a business basis from the Motel reception and there was absolutely no personal touch about it. The room was comfortable enough, but had no air-con and the house was, to put it in a nice way, old, neglected and empty. I used the term "dingy" to the receptionist when we requested a move and she siad that she had never heard it called that before. I said, "well you have now". We moved to a 3* motel room with air-con for the same price and kept the breakfast voucher as we were told it would have been the same price anyway with breakfast added to a motel room price. Not too sure about this? Breakfast was an experience! Two servers on duty but one was busy with members of a motor club that had called in (8.00 am on a Saturday!) and the other was struggling to cope with the rest of us. We felt it should have been reserved for guests up until at least 9.30am. Anyway our order was taken after 20 minutes and the food arrived 10 minutes later. It was not worth the wait nor the cost. It was basic bacon and eggs and toast and not worth the extra $23.50 we had paid. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't book the 4* B&B at the Inn. The 3* rooms in the Motel are better and cheaper.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We didn't stay at the motel, but ate lunch there. It was ...okay...the server was very busy, so could not be all that attentive. I think, once again, we ran into another restaurant that attracts the locals that are known there so they get the better service. We had to ask for drink refills every time & also wait for her to come back & get dessert order. There wasn't much of a selection. My husband got the special which was crab quiche and salad. He said it was "fine". I had a veggie sandwich which was like a club, and cut into 4 triangles and it too was fine, nothing special. He had a piece of their "famous" homemade apple pie which probably wold have been better with ice cream. I ordered the lemon meringue and ate two bites. It was good, but I took remainder with me to eat later. Alas, the container opened in our cooler & the pie spilled into the ice & water, so, I wasn't able to enjoy the rest of it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carollyn50
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been eating at the Evangeline Motel cafe, known locally as Sterlings, for 40 years. I moved away from the area a long time ago, but breakfast or lunch at Sterlings is a such highlight of a visit "home" that I always do it at least twice! Marg would be proud of the way the tradition for excellence has been maintained by her family and staff. The fruit pies are still justifiably famous. The menu is simple, but nothing on it will disappoint, unless you are addicted to fried food. If you need chips/fries, you should go elsewhere.

Room Tip: review refers to cafe only, I've never stayed in the motel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013

They don't have a separate listing for " stirglings" so had to put this under the Evageline motel which includes the resto... We stopped by for a bowl of chowder and seafood.... pretty aweful. Used to eat here regularly from childhood. I guess the 2006 rennovation took out what it was always know for: great homemade local food, good value and well done. Chowder was hot milk with dry seafood... Knew Marg Striling well... she would never serve such disappointing poor food...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aaron B
Sheila M, Owner at Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc., responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Hello, Aaron B!

I would like to start by apologizing for your less than satisfactory experience. We are quite disappointed to hear that your seafood chowder was not pleasing. It is a new item we have added to our menu this year; we have had great success with it thus far and always encourage feedback. I do hope that you expressed your disappointment to our staff at the time of your visit and that they were attentive to and dealt with your complaint appropriately. If they did not, I do welcome you to email us at eimi@eastlink.ca so we may address how our staff deals with complaints. I would like to assure you that it is true that much has changed since Marjorie Stirling’s time but we, the Stirling family, continue to strive for the same standards of quality. We thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Really enjoyed our weekend stay at the Evangeline Inn. The motel was clean and very comfortable. I also like their café, it's fun to eat there, the food is decent and the prices are very reasonable. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and I would definitely stay there again. I didn't have the opportunity to check out the pool, maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Port Williams
Victoria's Historic Inn
Victoria's Historic Inn
#3 of 10 in Wolfville

Been to Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.

Address: 11668 1 Hwy | P.O. Box 4, Grand Pre, Nova Scotia, Canada
Location: Canada > Nova Scotia > Southwest Nova Scotia > Grand Pre
Ranked #2 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Grand Pre
Price Range: $99 - $129 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. Grand Pre, Nova Scotia