“Review of restaurant only”

Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.
Ranked #2 of 3 Grand Pre B&B and Inns
Mentone, AL
“Review of restaurant only”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We didn't stay at the motel, but ate lunch there. It was ...okay...the server was very busy, so could not be all that attentive. I think, once again, we ran into another restaurant that attracts the locals that are known there so they get the better service. We had to ask for drink refills every time & also wait for her to come back & get dessert order. There wasn't much of a selection. My husband got the special which was crab quiche and salad. He said it was "fine". I had a veggie sandwich which was like a club, and cut into 4 triangles and it too was fine, nothing special. He had a piece of their "famous" homemade apple pie which probably wold have been better with ice cream. I ordered the lemon meringue and ate two bites. It was good, but I took remainder with me to eat later. Alas, the container opened in our cooler & the pie spilled into the ice & water, so, I wasn't able to enjoy the rest of it.

1 Thank carollyn50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cairns
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been eating at the Evangeline Motel cafe, known locally as Sterlings, for 40 years. I moved away from the area a long time ago, but breakfast or lunch at Sterlings is a such highlight of a visit "home" that I always do it at least twice! Marg would be proud of the way the tradition for excellence has been maintained by her family and staff. The fruit pies are still justifiably famous. The menu is simple, but nothing on it will disappoint, unless you are addicted to fried food. If you need chips/fries, you should go elsewhere.

Room Tip: review refers to cafe only, I've never stayed in the motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

They don't have a separate listing for " stirglings" so had to put this under the Evageline motel which includes the resto... We stopped by for a bowl of chowder and seafood.... pretty aweful. Used to eat here regularly from childhood. I guess the 2006 rennovation took out what it was always know for: great homemade local food, good value and well done. Chowder was hot milk with dry seafood... Knew Marg Striling well... she would never serve such disappointing poor food...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aaron B
Sheila M, Owner at Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc., responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Hello, Aaron B!

I would like to start by apologizing for your less than satisfactory experience. We are quite disappointed to hear that your seafood chowder was not pleasing. It is a new item we have added to our menu this year; we have had great success with it thus far and always encourage feedback. I do hope that you expressed your disappointment to our staff at the time of your visit and that they were attentive to and dealt with your complaint appropriately. If they did not, I do welcome you to email us at eimi@eastlink.ca so we may address how our staff deals with complaints. I would like to assure you that it is true that much has changed since Marjorie Stirling’s time but we, the Stirling family, continue to strive for the same standards of quality. We thank you for your comments.
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Really enjoyed our weekend stay at the Evangeline Inn. The motel was clean and very comfortable. I also like their café, it's fun to eat there, the food is decent and the prices are very reasonable. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and I would definitely stay there again. I didn't have the opportunity to check out the pool, maybe next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Di K
'the world
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great room; good beds and adjoining bath facilities. The hotel had a small laundry and a terrific little café, just right for lunch and dessert. The location could not be better. We spent some time in the Historic Grand Pré site; toured and tasted at the Domaine de Grand Pré; found the right spots for watching this end of the Fundy Bay tides; and had a good lobster dinner in Hall's Harbour.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pictograms
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We live in the area and always forget about this as a breakfast spot.

Good solid, fresh, breakfast food. We had omelettes, which were fresh and filled with meat, cheese and veggies. I liked that they had multi-grain toast.

We were disappointed that there were no potatoes included and none available.

It's a nice, bright dining room. Service was friendly, relaxed and attentive, and everything was spotless. Perfect for families, travellers, and people who don't want to spend a fortune on a basic breakfast.

1 Thank vancouvergirl
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We've been eating at the Evangeline's restauarant for years. It is always a highlight of our Nova Scotia vacations. The fish chowder is the best ever, full of fish and not too heavy, and served with a home made scone. The lobster sandwiches are generous and fresh, and not over dressed with mayo. Make sure to save room for the home made desserts. The fruit pies are delicious.

1 Thank DawnMike19
Victoria's Historic Inn
#4 of 10 in Wolfville
Micro Boutique Living Wolfville
Gaspereau Valley Bed & Breakfast

Been to Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.

Property: Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.
Address: 11668 1 Hwy | P.O. Box 4, Grand Pre, Nova Scotia, Canada
Location: Canada > Nova Scotia > Southwest Nova Scotia > Grand Pre
Ranked #2 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Grand Pre
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. Grand Pre, Nova Scotia