“Did not stay, but excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport

Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Enfield
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Did not stay, but excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We intended to stay at this hotel prior to an early flight the next day. However, when we arrived we found out we had made a mistake with our reservation, which we had made for the night before. Michelle at the reception was very apologetic even though it was not the hotel's fault at all. Due to a calamity at the airport the hotel was fully booked. She assisted us with a booking at the nearby Hampton Suites hotel and suggested we contact her manager Kelly the next day to discuss a possible refund. When we called Kelly the next morning she was already aware of the situation and had even already submitted a request for a refund. She called back an hour later to confirm a full refund. This fantastic service from both team members ensured that the Hilton Garden Inn will always be our first choice for a Halifax airport hotel. Thank you!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
David C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel with Tripadvisor.

I am sorry you were not able to stay with us the night you arrived but pleased that the desk agent and the front office manager were able to remedy the situation.

Thank you for choosing to book with us and I hope we see you again sometime in the future.

Kind regards

David Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed near the Halifax airport on our last night before leaving early for home. This property of a well known chain, needs to be recognized for it's exceptional hospitality, 1st class condition, excellent rooms and beds, and the VERY unexpected 5-star quality of their dinners.

I have spent MANY nights and dinners at airport properties over the past 40 years, some good and some not to be mentioned. I have NEVER stayed in an airport hotel as good as this Hilton Garden Inn.

We decided not to travel to dinner and try the Hotel restaurant. The food preparation, presentation, service and taste was outstanding. It was quiet the roasted pork, pasta and fish of the day, and deserts were ALL excellent.

In addition, the rooms were excellent in every respect and the hotel staff could NEVER be better.

Thank YOU Hilton Garden Inn at the Halifax Airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I really appreciate you taking the time to submit such a glowing review of our hotel.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team and in particular the kitchen staff who have been very involved with new menu items during the last menu change.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My dealings with the general manager were excellent. I had some items that needed some creative thinking and Mr Clark was more than willing to help. It made for a very nice experience. All staff was great to deal with upon arrival. I used this hotel when flying to Iceland. It was a great experience with the staff, room, food, and shuttle to and from the airport. Thanks to Mr Clark and his staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
David C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit are review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that the parking arrangement worked and more importantly that your trip to Iceland was a success. I will ensure that I share your experience with our team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We only stayed one night in Halifax, but this was the best hotel we had in our two weeks in the Maritime Provinces.

First, although the property does not have a "concierge" within the usual meaning of the term, the front desk staff and managers were exceptional at helping us find our way around. Case in point: one of my coworkers in Atlanta told me about a used clothing chain called "Frenchies" and my wife wanted to check one out. The desk clerk accessed her computer, found the closest location, printed out a map, and gave her suggested times to visit the store (Frenchie's gets periodic truckloads of clothes. You want to visit after a truckload arrives, or it is similar to a picked-over garage sale in the U.S.)

Second, the room was exceptionally well-appointed for a property in this price range. Our room didn't feel as large as a U.S. Garden Inn property. However, the rest of the hotel was large, spacious, comfortable and well-lit, so we didn't spend much of waking time in our room.

The FREE WIFI was deeply appreciated. We are spoiled by having free WIFI at almost every McDonalds, Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, Hotel, etc., in the U.S. (even in rural South Georgia!), but
WIFI is more of a luxury in Canada.

Question to other reviewers: Did we just go to the wrong places, or does Canada actually have fewer free WIFI locations than we do in the U.S.?

Third, the Restaurant....although the prices were higher than similar properties in the U.S., perhaps because the Dollar exchange rate was historically poor at the time of our visit, the food was excellent. My wife and I ordered ala carte so we did not determine if the buffet was as overpriced as other reviewers found.

Highlights: Trout was excellent. Well prepared, decent portion, flaky.
Roast Beef: Better than average for any restaurant, exceptional for a chain hotel.
Omelet: OMG! I've tasted omelets on four continents, some great, some awful, some that made me run to the WC. This was unquestionably THE BEST I've ever had. We asked the server if the chef could "put everything you've got" in the kitchen in our omelets. It took us ten minutes to finish them, because we were trying to determine which spices and other ingredients he had used. I need to stop here or I'll write 500 more words about eggs.

Fourth, Value. Again, a victim of the poor US-Canada exchange rate. We paid more than for a normal U.S. Garden Inn rate in a medium-size city. And although the hotel is very convenient to the airport, it certainly is quite a long way from downtown Halifax.

Overall, however, an exceptionally good experience in a very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel and employees.

I will be sure to pass along your comments to the hotel team. I am pleased to read that the staff and facilities met and exceeded your expectations. We do not officially have a concierge at a station, however, we do have a Double Gold Key Clefs d'Or member on staff. I hope you had a chance to meet Ron while you were visiting.

You are correct, free wifi is not as common in Canada as in the US.....yet. Most hotels are beginning to offer compimentary wifi. There are hot spots in many areas of city with free wifi and our airport offers free wifi. We are getting there, slowly but surely.

I am happy to read about your highlight in the restaurant. I will tell Sandra, Wes and Mike about your Omelet experience. I agree with you. I love the omelets here as well.

We will have a Hilton in the downtown area soon.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport.

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We got a room and breakfast as a single charge and the brekkie was very good indeed. Fresh made hot foods and a lot of cold stuff and bakery stuff and fresh fruit. What made it a little special was the staff who were running the buffet...a waitress and a bartender who's names I have regrettably forgotten. Someone look up who was on that day and give them a kudo!!!
The rest of the hotel was pleasant, clean and equipped well for my mobility difficulties. Hooray! A hotel that knows what some of us need. :9)

Room Tip: Hard to recommend a particular room. It was very foggy that evening. <grin>
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for submitting a review with Tripadvisor regarding your most recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the breakfast and that you took advantage of the Bed and Breakfast Package. I will pass along your comments to the breakfast team. The team working was likely Paula and Mike.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport.

Boulder, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Travelled from Denver to Halifax to stay with friends in Chester. Scheduled arrival time was late, so booked this hotel. Glad we did as both our flights were delayed, so even later. Not as cheap as other airport locations, but similar in price to the other two Halifax Airport hotels. Called the hotel about the shuttle, and we picked it up right away. Glad we didn't rent a car as it was dark, misty and raining.

Good room with king bed, comfortable pillows and mattress, and good bedside lighting. TV with it seemed most of the usual satellite channels, clock radio, small refrigerator, microwave and tea/coffee-making facilities. Very good desk chair, and a large armchair with ottoman. Free wi-fi in the rooms, plus the ability to print to one of the hotel printers from laptop, iPad etc. Small but not cramped bathroom, with the usual shampoo, conditioner, lotion etc. Good towels and excellent water pressure in the shower.

There is a small bar in one corner of the spacious dining area and we had a late light meal there after we arrived as well as a welcome glass (or two) of a reasonable Nova Scotia Sauvignon Blanc. In the morning the only breakfast option is the buffet plus cooked dish at $12.95. I would have preferred a lighter option, but my Eggs Benedict was pretty good, and I limited myself to tea and to juice from the cold buffet. There were also yoghurt, cereals, pastries and fruit available.

Our plans in Chester changed and we intended to say a night in Halifax before our afternoon departure. Our first hotel choices were unavailable, so my husband booked the Hilton again. I was not too happy - over 24 hours in an airport hotel? - but it worked very well. Firstly, the front desk gave us a room before the usual check-in time, then they told us about the Metro bus that picks up outside the hotel for downtown Halifax. Only $3.25 apiece, instead of over $50 for a cab, and they even gave us change and a timetable. A great service.

After our Halifax day we had just a light dinner at the hotel, then used the business centre to check-in and print boarding passes for the next day. Well equipped with two workstations and a good printer, and it all worked. Next morning I asked for a late check-out or to pay for a half day, but we were told we could have the room until 2:00 pm. Very thoughtful. Used the treadmill, bicycle and weights in the fitness centre, which was very clean and well equipped. Watched a maintenance man checking the water in the swimming pool and jacuzzi, and recording it in a folder - very encouraging.

Throughout our stay we found the staff to be extremely helpful and efficient. The only little glitches were not of any real importance, and we loved staying in an establishment that we wanted to tell people about and recommend.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
David C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review with Tripadvisor about out hotel.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. I am also pleased that we were able to accommodate you with a late checkout without an extra charge.

The MetroX has been a great addition to the airport area and has resulted in an affordable alternative to taxis to the city.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport.

Miramichi, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a great hotel - like all other Hilton Garden Inns that we have stayed at, however we have one big problem between HGI in the US vs. Canada. We recently stayed at the HGI in Freeport, ME as well and hotel was identical, with exception of the breakast. In the US...a true 'buffet' breakfast is $9.95 and children are free. In Canada however it is $12.95 for adults and $4.95 for children and they take your order for the hot food at the table as opposed to the true buffet in the US. For our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 year old twins) that equates to a 45%premium (before taxes, which are significantly higher in Canada as well) for breakfast in Canada vs. US...seems like something is very wrong with this, specially since on the particular day we are discussing the Canadian dollar closed at $1.02. Seems quite unfair & actually situations like this hurt the Canadian economy and tourism significantly! Service in the restaurant was also VERY POOR at this hotel, which didn't impress specifically after paying over 50% more for the same breakfast...How does Hilton justify this difference???

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Susan P
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review with Tripadvisor about our hotel.

I am pleased to read that most of your visit was enjoyable.

I am sorry to read that you felt the breakfast was overpriced. In response to the pricing, I need to qualify why we are priced they way we are. Simply put, food is more expensive than in the US, even with the exchange rate. Many of our products come from the US and we pay a higher price than our hotels in the US. Transportation costs for us are more expensive. We do our best to keep pricing at a competitive rate and provide the best quality.

We serve the hot portions to order because it results in the best quality. If a guest wants to order several hot items (eggs, waffles, hashbrown, outmeal, etc), they can order as much as they want. Or more than one portion of an item works as well. This may not have been communicated properly to you. I will remind the restaurant and ensure that we communicate this more efficiently.

In an effort to provide value, we also have Bed & Breakfast packages which include breakfast in the room rate for a substantial savings compared to ordering breakfast per person.

I wish the exchange rate had effect on the pricing, but unfortunately it doesn't. Food is not the only example. Books and other goods and services are more expensive regardless of the exchange rate.

I agree with you in that it is unfair and it is alway a challenge to be competitive.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport

David Clark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Inn on the Lake
#1 of 1 in Fall River
Downtown Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport? Share your experiences!