We only stayed one night in Halifax, but this was the best hotel we had in our two weeks in the Maritime Provinces.
First, although the property does not have a "concierge" within the usual meaning of the term, the front desk staff and managers were exceptional at helping us find our way around. Case in point: one of my coworkers in Atlanta told me about a used clothing chain called "Frenchies" and my wife wanted to check one out. The desk clerk accessed her computer, found the closest location, printed out a map, and gave her suggested times to visit the store (Frenchie's gets periodic truckloads of clothes. You want to visit after a truckload arrives, or it is similar to a picked-over garage sale in the U.S.)
Second, the room was exceptionally well-appointed for a property in this price range. Our room didn't feel as large as a U.S. Garden Inn property. However, the rest of the hotel was large, spacious, comfortable and well-lit, so we didn't spend much of waking time in our room.
The FREE WIFI was deeply appreciated. We are spoiled by having free WIFI at almost every McDonalds, Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, Hotel, etc., in the U.S. (even in rural South Georgia!), but
WIFI is more of a luxury in Canada.
Question to other reviewers: Did we just go to the wrong places, or does Canada actually have fewer free WIFI locations than we do in the U.S.?
Third, the Restaurant....although the prices were higher than similar properties in the U.S., perhaps because the Dollar exchange rate was historically poor at the time of our visit, the food was excellent. My wife and I ordered ala carte so we did not determine if the buffet was as overpriced as other reviewers found.
Highlights: Trout was excellent. Well prepared, decent portion, flaky.
Roast Beef: Better than average for any restaurant, exceptional for a chain hotel.
Omelet: OMG! I've tasted omelets on four continents, some great, some awful, some that made me run to the WC. This was unquestionably THE BEST I've ever had. We asked the server if the chef could "put everything you've got" in the kitchen in our omelets. It took us ten minutes to finish them, because we were trying to determine which spices and other ingredients he had used. I need to stop here or I'll write 500 more words about eggs.
Fourth, Value. Again, a victim of the poor US-Canada exchange rate. We paid more than for a normal U.S. Garden Inn rate in a medium-size city. And although the hotel is very convenient to the airport, it certainly is quite a long way from downtown Halifax.
Overall, however, an exceptionally good experience in a very pleasant hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located only 3 miles from Halifax International Airport with 24 hour complimentary airport shuttle service. On site Restaurant, lounge and room service plus indoor swimming pool and exercise room for your enjoyment. Every guestroom features in room microwave, fridge and coffee maker. "Everything. Right where you need it." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport Hotel Enfield
- Hilton Garden Inn Enfield
- Enfield Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Enfield
- Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport Enfield, Nova Scotia