“NICE Hotel!”

ALT Hotel Halifax Airport
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Enfield
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We missed our connection flight late at night, so we were put up in this hotel until morning. I was NOT expecting anything even remotely good, but this place EXCEEDED our expectations! Very classy, modern, and comfortable. Great nights sleep! :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WinterBenson

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for the night due to a missed connection during the christmas season. We were attempting to get to NFLD from Nunavut and due to all the problems with cancelled flights and missed connections it was a long exhausting day. To top it all off AC lost our luggage (AGAIN). We arrived at the hotel around 3am looking and feeling like garbage. The front desk person was so wonderful despite the fact she was working the graveyard shift (how she does it, I don't know!). She quickly found us a room and when we mentioned we have no luggage she provided us with a little bag of toiletries such as deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, lotion etc. She did this without us even asking and told us if we needed more things just to let her know what we need and she will see if they had it. We hadn't even thought to ask for this and I can't express enough how this gesture just made everything better after the day we had.

The rooms were AMAZING, the atmosphere is AMAZING. To the reviewer who says she thought this place was "cold", I'm really confused by this!!! When we got off the elevator and the walls were painted bright pink, my first feeling was where can I do this in my home?!?! It made me SO happy despite feeling like garbage. The beds and pillows are to die for!!! I can't express how much I loved the pillows. When checking out I was going on and on about the pillows to the front desk and she informed me that I can purchase much of the items in my room ONLINE at the Alt website....including the pillows! At this point I had died and gone to heaven!

I will be in Halifax for 8 weeks this summer and even though I do not require a hotel, I am going to make a point of staying there just because it's so great!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca F
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is neat hotel with a really modern feel. It was so convenient the night before our flight. The room was originally furnished and set up and didn't feel like a generic hotel room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful. I have not been so pleasantly surprised by a hotel in quite some time. We were nervous about our flight on time because of a pending blizzard, so it was extremely relaxing to at least have a comfortable room. The only thing I will mention is that is was a little disappointing there was not a restaurant in the hotel (although there was a bar). The prepackaged food (that they do sell) seemed quite over-priced for what it was. However, I still really enjoyed my stay at the Alt.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MSchaay1, General Manager at ALT Hotel Halifax Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Hello Kate H,

Thank you for an excellent review, we really appreciated it. We were excited to see that you enjoyed the hotel.

I admit our Food and Beverage concept is unique. We actually work with an exceptional local caterer called Kitchen Door Catering. All of the food is local product, fresh ingredients and prepared daily for our hotel. It certainly is not your traditional packaged food.

Once again, thank you very much for a great review and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Was stuck here in Halifax during the last cold front that caused so many flight cancellations, from Jan 6-8.
The ALT is located just across from the airport terminal....in fact, one can just walk across a skybridge, totally protected from the elements. Check in was pretty quick and straight forward. The decor was pretty pleasant and unique....it's a little like the Aloft branding from Sheraton, but I have to say that they do a much better job with their color and furniture coordination.

Room was warm and cozy. Standard flat screen TV and phone, comfy bedding. Took some time to find the switch for the wall light against the bed. Liked the low faucet in the shower that lets one feel the water temperature, before turning the shower on. Small touches here and there make this a pretty good choice to be spending a couple of days stuck.

There is a size-able fitness room with new equipment. One 3 tier rack of free weights was plenty, and treadmills, ellipticals and cycle machines were all new. There was also a TRX strap system for some out of the ordinary fitness moves......however, I found that placed (anchored) too close to the free weights rack. The room is located on the street level, and it seems that one could actually walk out onto the street through the doors.....I didn't check if one could come in from the street that way though. Thought it was just not common....oh well.

No restaurant....only a bar with grab and go food items that can be warmed up with a microwave. Liquor was a bit expensive though.....well, it's at the airport.....so. All in all, enjoyed the time here.

Room Tip: If you like to see the planes take off and land, ask for those that face the runway. Jet noise was...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed at the Alt hotel in October, to accommodate an early morning flight.  It was nice being directly connected to the airport by pedway and being able to go over to the airport for supper as well.  Note... there is nothing else in the area unless you have a car and even then it’s a bit of a distance.  We went to The Chickenburger which has been a historical landmark in Halifax for over 70 years and recently opened in the airport. They have delicious chicken burgers, fish & chips, and old fashioned milkshakes etc. for a reasonable price and we recommend it.

Important to note that the hotel itself does not have parking.  Unless you can use accessible parking, you have to use the airport parking for an additional fee.  The entrance to the hotel is around the back.  You actually have to take an elevator up to the lobby/main desk area.  It actually felt a little odd and the surrounding decor of high concrete walls without pictures and large ottomans in the middle of an otherwise empty space was very cold and uninviting.  The pool is also on this bottom floor with glass windows and is situated in a way that people can look in at you swimming.  Not a big deal to some, but we appreciate more privacy.

We went upstairs to the desk to check in,  the staff was not that friendly, it was dark and cold feeling, in most spots.  There is a spot to get drinks and snacks, but is fairly expensive.  In a small area around the corner there is a pool table and a few large TVs’.  We took the elevator up to our room, the hallways were also dark and cold feeling.  There is a long empty hallway into the room which really amounts to wasted space.  We passed the bathroom on the way to the main room which is fairly nice, modern and stands out from the rest.  However, there is no privacy and someone can see you shower through the glass doors in the bathroom or from around the other side of the bed also as it is open... very odd indeed!  The main bedroom is quite small and there was really no sitting room other than a chair that is modern, but very uncomfortable.  Great view of the airport grounds and airplane traffic, which my 5 year old nephew enjoyed.

After flying out the next morning and getting to our destination we found out we had been double charged for the room.  We had paid for it on a credit card and several days later there had been a second room charge for the same room.  I called the hotel and they insisted I call my bank to have the charge reversed even after repeated attempts to explain that it was not through my bank but through a credit card.  After several calls to the credit card company and the Alt Hotel it was resolved.  It should not have been this much of a problem, but the staff was not helpful and neither was the on-duty manager.

Unfortunately this Boutique Style Hotel Concept failed the grade for us.  We found the hotel to be very cold and impersonal and we are disappointed that the hotel did not capture the feel of our beautiful province and our people in any way... this is not Italy... what were they thinking?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelBug2k
MSchaay1, General Manager at ALT Hotel Halifax Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Hello TravelBug2K,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel, we do appreciate it. We were disappointed to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations. ALT Hotels truly are an ALTernative hotel option. I can assure you that I will be sharing your comments with our management team for follow up. I certainly don’t enjoy reading that you found our staff not friendly and that you encountered billing issues. Once again, please accept my apologies and let me know if I can assist with anything else.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at this hotel both before and after a trip overseas. It was really great to stay at a hotel so close to the airport (connected by a short walk through a pedway).

The hotel is beautiful. Modern and funky. It's the first time I've actually wanted to hang out in a hotel lounge!

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant, but it does have a bar and pre-packaged food to buy. I ate there once, but didn't enjoy the food much (though I am a picky eater, so take that with a grain of salt), but because the hotel is connected to the airport I was able to simply walk over to the airport food court and buy something there.

The room was lovely. Very comfortable bed, and the bathroom and shower was also very nice. This hotel has a set-up that I've seen in a lot of hotels in asia, where the power is turned on by placing your keycard in a slot on the wall by the door when you enter or exit your room. Very eco-friendly.

As another reviewer said, the hotel does get a little noisy when many guests arrive or leave. Not much sound-proofing between the room and hallway. Same goes for airplane noise, though luckily there are no flights past midnight at Halifax airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Hello LesleyFromCanada,

Thank you for an overall very positive review. We were thrilled to see that you enjoyed the hotel.

Sorry that you were disturbed by noise in the hotel. It really is something that we monitor closely.

Once again, thank you for a great review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Arriving late at night after a long flight from Los Angeles, with no luggage as Air Canada had neglected to get our luggage on the flight from Montreal, we were greeted by a cool oasis of calm. A very pleasant young lady at the desk immediately asked what we needed as we had no luggage, informed us that the bar was open until 2:00 am, with food available. Our room was stunning - warm woods, concrete accents. The bathroom was amazing - a huge walk-in shower stall, fluffy towels, large containers of shampoo, lotions, etc. But our first criteria for an excellent hotel is the bed. This one was so comfortable, with fluffy pillows and fine linens. The next morning we realized perhaps it's #1 feature - quiet! We did not hear one plane, car or truck. The sound-proofing is amazing. We didn't even hear other guests in the hall. In the bar, gourmet foods are available, fresh every day. They are packaged, but micro-waves, panini presses, ovens and toasters are available, as well as china plates, etc. This was a perfect ending to a long, tiring and frustrating flight. We will certainly be staying at ALT again.

Room Tip: Our room, 615, was at the end of the short hall, which had a small hall entrance before entering the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Inn on the Lake
#1 of 1 in Fall River
Downtown Halifax
Prince George Hotel
Prince George Hotel
#3 of 28 in Halifax

Been to ALT Hotel Halifax Airport? Share your experiences!