“Local Pub Food”
Review of Curly Portables

Curly Portables
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Enfield
Cuisines: Canadian
Description: Curlys is a lumberjack themed restaurant/pub. The walls are covered in local history and antiques. Curlys serves a wide variety of homemade food. Our on site bakery produces all our breads and rolls, we use local beef with no fillers for our burgers. We have a large menu catering to a wide vairety of tastes. Stop in give us a try, we'll show you why we're world famous in Hants County
Halifax, Canada
“Local Pub Food”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a local pub, done up with local artifacts, rustic tables, heritage photos and it's own lore about a local wood-cutter.

There is a moderate selection of beer and ale on tap, including local craft breweries, and the food is basic pub-style (lots of starch, deep-fried, grilled) in substantial portions.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank David_in_Nova_Scotia

Walton, Canada
“If you are coming from Halifax...Turn Around...From Truro...Go to Halifax”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is about the only Pub/Eatery in Elmsdale/Enfield...if you are starving, then I highly recommend you continue on (even if it means you have to crawl)...if you just want a beer, then you'll be ok to stop here. The place is over wrought with wood and shellac and dusty, stuffed dead creatures...dead creatures being well Meh and bad for your appetite and dirty, dusty, disgusting and dead stuffed creatures being way worse for your appetite. I do have to say that the wait staff are friendly. It looks to me (and this is my humble opinion) that the owners know they have the only gig in town and aren't interested in putting any effort into, well really, anything. The food is pub food and no enthusiasm or love is put into it at all. Straight from the freezer, to the microwave/fryer and into your plate...unfortunately in generous portions...The beer was cold tho.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Stephanie M
Halifax, Canada
“Strange! Don't return your food if it is made wrong!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

When ordering a baked potato with my meal, I asked the waitress if I could order mine with no green onions/chives. I told her that I really disliked these and she said that it could be made without them.

She later delivered our food, quickly turned and walked away before I had the chance to point out that it was loaded full of green onions!

I started eating my chicken entree which was fine, and when she came over a few minutes later, I pointed out the green onions. No apology, but she said she would return with another baked potato.

A few minutes later, she returns with an empty plate and asks for my baked potato back (which I hadn't touched). I told her if I wanted the green onions picked off that I could do that myself but she said no - they are making a new one. (Why would they want the other one back? Did someone else order one??) I wish I had poked it with a fork or marked it somehow! So, she scoops it off my plate and returns to the kitchen. She returns with a new (?) baked potato, without the green onions this time. I have no way of knowing for sure if they picked them off or made a new one...

We are sitting across from the bar, and there is a bartender, a couple of servers, someone who may have been a cook, etc. They are all standing around the bar talking and watching us. The waitress starts coming over to our table every 3-4 minutes to ask how our food was. I had a bite of the potato, which seemed fine, but after she came over about the 5th or 6th time in approx 20 minutes - it was becoming a nuisance and I started noticing that she appeared to be reporting back to the group of employees at the bar. This makes me think that they did something to the potato (who knows for sure, but this is all very strange behaviour).

Anyway, we just stopped eating, asked for the bill and left. This place is just plain odd and I don't plan on returning here again!!

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank TravelHelper2013
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Good Pub”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I had our last meal in Nova Scotia at Curly Portables before returning to Alberta. As we like to travel
on a whim we noticed lots of people dining there and decided
to give it a try. No disappointment here.
We totally enjoyed the generous serving of fresh fish and
chips, along with a heaping plate of deep fried pickles.
The server was efficient and decor was fun. Pricing was
more than fair.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank MTnsters
Calgary, Canada
“Good pub food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went for lunch. I had the fish and chips and my wife had the lasagna. Both were good and the servings were large. They have a good selection of beers, all reasonably priced. The wine however is not so good and is quite expensive for a pub. The service was fast and efficient and the waitress was friendly. The decor is different - like being out west. We would go again when in the area. Recommended.

• Visited May 2013