“Great lunch spot”

Cuisines: International, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on a rainy day driving the Lighthouse Route. Very happy we chose Kiwi. Brightly painted and cute as could be. We had the ABCD sandwich (apple, bacon, cheddar, and Dijon on great bread - so good I will make this at home now).

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The food is really, really good here--everything is fresh and msot of it is local, a big menu with a lot of selection.

Unfortunately though, the service is really inexcusable. I've been on 3 occasions and it keeps getting worse. Don't go here unless you have an hour and a half or two hours to spare. The serving staff also frequently get into tiffs with each other, and their snappy comments to one another can be heard by everyone in the restaurant. It's awkward, they constantly argue. I've never gotten friendly service here.

The first time I went, it took the waitress 17 minutes just to come to my table to say hello. I ordered the eggs and bacon, with a cup of coffee. She disappeared for 20 minutes, THEN came back with my coffee at the same time as my meal. My meal was missing bacon, which I told her right away. The bacon came 25 minutes after that, when I was done.

The second time I went, the waitress seated my friend and I at a dirty table and didn't clear the dishes away for a good while. Despite the fact that the restaurant was nowhere near being full, our order was only a half hour later.

The third time I went this past Saturday was by far the worst. There were a ton of empty tables that were piled high with dishes, not a clear table in sight. My friend and I sat at one of the tables and put the dishes on the corner of the table, making it clear that we were new customers. 20 minutes later, when nobody had come by, we stopped a waitress and politely told her that we were ready to order when she had a minute. She rolled her eyes and told us to "just be patient." She came by a few minutes later, took our order...and left the dirty dishes on the table. My friend and I actually brought them to the counter and asked for a cloth to wipe the table. My friend ordered the omelet with a side of potatoes, and it was supposed to come with toast. It didn't, and she asked the waitress for some. The waitress said "you seriously think you can eat toast too?" then rolled her eyes again and walked away.

Somehow, her meal ended up coming to $25--the omelet was $11.00, the coffee was $2.00, and the potatoes were $3.50. When she asked to see the cash receipt, the woman wouldn't give it to her.

It's a shame, but that kind of service is really inexcusable. Won't be back there.

4  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place has the beat food on the South Shore, bar none. Why this would be rated lower tha the Rope Loft is a mystery. Although that place definitely has a better view.

1  Thank HEATHER L
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Us residents of Chester are just so lucky to have The Kiwi Cafe right in our backyard! What a wonderful spot! The food is outstanding! The coffee is fantastic! The service - impeccable! The new renovations have certainly opened up the space, and it is as cozy and warm as ever!

And...what can I say...the SCONES are to DIE FOR!!!! I have yet to come across one that rises above the Kiwi's, and I doubt I ever will. :)

The B.L.A.T is my alllll time favorite sandwich! Seriously...how can you possibly go wrong with bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato, and a super yummy garlic mayo all on a delicious panini roll?? You can't. It's amazing. Oh and...the lobster roll!! So wonderful!

The soups of the day are awesome, so fresh and delicious! One of my favs...the Barbados Bisque! Yum!!!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Found this place after asking the locals for a good place to eat and we were simply amazed!!! Had the Grilled cheese which was Orange raisen bread with brie cheese, carmelized pears and arugula. My husband had the seafood chowder. Both were fantastic as was the homemade ice cream and the service. Can't say enough about this hidden treasure in Chester, NS.