“Love The Rankins- loved The Shoe!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Shoe Pub

The Red Shoe Pub
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Mabou
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We stumbled accross this place this past Saturday, which was the day after it had opened for the season. They are only open from June until October. It is very quaint, and it has the very best seafood chowder of anyplace we found in Nova Scotia or PEI. The waiter was super nice to our group, and honest in admitting he had only started the day before, and hadn't tried all the items on the menu yet. He went back to the chef on a couple of occasions to ask if he could change a menu item for us (which they did), and was very attentive to our lunchtime needs. This is a really good restaurant and should be added to Trip Advisor. Thanks, John Ward Smith
“Love The Rankins- loved The Shoe!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I think I own every Rankin CD, so when I knew that it was owned by the two Sisters, we had to go! Ma out is a beautiful Village. Went during 'Kitchen Fest' live free music 5-7 and cover charge for music after 9, great options! The menu was varied and delicious selections, great dinner, followed by a homemade tart, warm and served with ice-cream! Great local beers on tap and excellent coffee following our meal! Loved the atmosphere, lots of Rankin photos. The placed was full, plus the patio. Great service! A must do when in the area! Loved it!

Aiken, South Carolina
“A Must See, Taste, and Hear!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I looked at some of the other reviews. You will see that most are excellent. I cannot image anything other than excellent. Let me explain.

I missed going here two years ago while passing through so it was a must this time through. First, the music will be a local pair or more playing traditional Cape Breton music. If that's what you are looking for then you MUST go.

After reading the reviews, I did not have great expectations for the food. However THE FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING! My wife (who does not eat seafood) had the chicken breast stuffed with spinach and cream cheese, bacon and sun dried tomato. It was really well balanced and delicious. It also cam with herb polenta fries! They were outstanding and I am still trying to figure out how they were made!! My mother/father-in-law and I all had the fish and chips with a side of Mabou Seafood Chowder. The F&C were really good. However, the chowder WAS THE BEST I EVER HAD! I see that there was one reviewer a while back who said it was so-so. Well I am NOT easily impressed. On my 17 day vacation, I had 10 different chowders - this was the best. Two things in particular: First, the cup was full of seafood (lobster, mussel, scallops, shrimp, and haddock) and (2) the broth was exceptional (little to no flour added) that I am recalling even as I write this three weeks later. The both had a nice mixture of cream, milk, and water from the lobster/clam/etc. pot. No need to add any salt, though I did add a little pepper - omg ...

vail, CO
“A great evening - food, company, music, beer - all great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We arrived to the Mabou River Inn and walked here. We arrived at 8:55 to a very crowded place (kitchen closes at 9) and were sat at a 4 top with 2 other people. We were fine with that after a long day of travel. The couple we sat next to were from Dallas, and we are from Boston. We didn't talk politics but did enjoy the music.
The food was actually awesome. I had the halibut special and my friend had the trout. The beer was excellent, service good - it was packed as it was the first night of kitchenfest and they had a great fiddler and keyboardist...they just jammed! They played until midnight. We walked back to the Mabou River Inn and crashed! A great night. We hiked in the Mabou Highlands the next day and all in all it was a great day 1 of a trip on the Cabot Trail. I would definitely go back and wish I had.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Halifax, Canada
“Great music and nice food and awesome beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Red show ale was excellent, music between 5-7 was wonderful, food was good (clubhouse), cozy atmosphere

Visited July 2014
SC
“Taste of a Ceilidh Music and a Bite of a Local Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Visitors go there not for the food, but for the music...
First, the food...not bad, it is a Pub food... So figure out.
The music... Few tips:
#1 Check the type of music and the musicians (players)... Go to there website for schedule: http://www.redshoepub.com/
#2 Some nights have entry/cover charge ($8 per person), depends on music
#3 it is small Pub ( accommodates about 60-70 persons)., so for a seat, and a better seat... Come at the beginning of the music session ( see website schedule)

For me I picked a Sunday afternoon ( 4:30pm) with Ceilidh music played by a professional; Glenn Graham, had a local beer, one appetizer, stayed for 1.5 hour... Enjoyed it and left with a new experience .
If you are in the area, plan to attend.

• Visited July 2014