“Warm and inviting”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The menu was varied, something for everyone. Lots of friendly folks to chat with. Service was quick, professional and warm.

There are newer reviews for The Red Shoe Pub

Reviewed September 8, 2013

In a good central location, across the street from the local Community Hall, this place gets a lot of traffic from people who come for the evening Ceilidhs in the hall. Owned by the Rankin Family, well-known singer/songwriters, it attracts scads of tourists during the summer months.

We bought into it all and timed our visit to the ceilidh so that we could have dinner at the pub beforehand. As we expected the place was nearly full at 5:30. We were seated at the only free table, close to the entertainers (who were 2 talented young brothers and who played a variety of celtic tunes).

We started with chowder (my wife) and turkey veg soup (me). Both were fine, although expensive at $9 a cup - a bowl was $12. The beer was good - several local beers on tap. Decent wine choices. Mains: my wife had the burger with side of romaine, etc. Her comment: 'the burger was good; the salad swamped in vinaigrette'. I had 2 pieces of battered haddock with fries, aka fish and chips. The fish was good, but the chips were tough, the way they get when allowed to cool down then get reheated. I asked for a fresh batch of chips, which arrived before I was finished the fish. The new fries confirmed my impression of the first batch I was served.

So, food just OK and a tad expensive. On that note we crossed the street and enjoyed a ceilidh. Next time, would try the other pub in town called 'The Mull'.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had an excellent time when we visited the Red Shoe Pub. There were two local girls playing the fiddle and a piano. Locals got up to dance and play with them. It was a really great experience.

I had the fish and chips an my wife had the scallops and we shared the pair of shoes (hummus)appetizer. The bartender was extremely friendly and so were the locals that were sitting by us. While the food was good the beer selection was a little lacking. Definitely worth visiting for the music.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was the highlight of our trip. I was so excited about going to a ceilidh and I was not disappointed at the Red Shoe. We arrived after the scheduled talent was done, but was told that they usually had a "jam session" around 9 pm. Soon people starting coming in and playing. Ended up with 4 fiddlers, 3 guitars and the piano player. Was awesome, couldn't help but tap your feet. The food was also very good, would highly recommend!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were really excited to eat at the Red Shoe and then a little disappointed when we finally did. The burger my partner ordered was dry and did not have much flavor. However, had the pulled pork poutine and it was really tasty. The service was very slow - and the restaurant wasn't busy - but the server had time to talk to friends seated at another table. It was an alright place for a bite but I wouldn't be telling people they must stop and eat there - as we had been told... I would recommend a bite at the local Flea Market on Sunday morning though - some great food there.