“Stay for the music” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Shoe Pub

The Red Shoe Pub
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Mabou
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We stumbled accross this place this past Saturday, which was the day after it had opened for the season. They are only open from June until October. It is very quaint, and it has the very best seafood chowder of anyplace we found in Nova Scotia or PEI. The waiter was super nice to our group, and honest in admitting he had only started the day before, and hadn't tried all the items on the menu yet. He went back to the chef on a couple of occasions to ask if he could change a menu item for us (which they did), and was very attentive to our lunchtime needs. This is a really good restaurant and should be added to Trip Advisor. Thanks, John Ward Smith
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stay for the music”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

This place gets packed with locals and tourists, especially on weekends. We had a nice dinner here (mussels for me) and a chocolate dessert that I don't remember exactly what it was, but do remember I loved it. The beer selection was pretty good, too! Our dinner ended just as the live music was about to begin, which was great because we already were comfortably seated. However, the downside is that there is a cover charge for the music, even if you're already in the place and eating dinner. I understand why they do this, but it's just a little bit of an odd set-up to tack on an extra $20 to the dinner check if you're already seated and eating. The lay-out of the place was not conceptualized well, and I think they didn't *quite* get the concept of a cozy pub, which is a shame since the place was built with having live music in mind. However, the music was great and a necessary experience to understand some local culture while vacationing along the Cabot Trail.

Just like most of our dining experiences in Nova Scotia, service was ok (not great, not awful), and everything felt a tad overpriced. However, our baseline observation tells us that this is the norm for the area, so, in that case, this place did an ok job on both fronts.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

“Very disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We had company visiting from Manitoba and as they love the Rankins Music I thought this would be a great treat for all of us to have lunch at The Red Shoe Pub on our way to do the Cabot Trail. First it was extremely hot and stuffy in the pub, very uncomfortable, I asked if there had AC or some sort of way cool off and was told no. They had very useless slow moving ceiling fans that were at best inadequate.

We waited 45 minutes for our food which seemed long as there were only 4 other tables there. I then made a mistake ( my own fault) ordered a dish that was much too spicey for me. I believe it was called pulled pork sweet potatoes fries. It was extremely hot shredded pork on a small bed of fries. I tried one small bite of the pork and realized how spicy it was. I asked the waitress to take it away. I told the waitress I would pay for it as it was own fault for not asking first about the level of spice. So I asked for a Red Shoe clubhose sandwich which took another 30 mins to get. The food was ok, but not great for the price you pay or how long you have wait.

We were not offered water refills in spite of how hot it was. Got the bill and my returned item was on it with both taxes included. Again my fault!
Not a good experience and won't go back again.
The Rankins are wonderful musicians and I love their music and have bought lots of it and attended many concerts but their Red Shoe Pub not worth the stop.

My out of company were not impressed!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ace6
Port Hawkesbury, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food in this Cosy Pub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have eaten here a number of time over the past few years. The food is always good and especially the fish and chips with the homemade tartar sauce that it great for dipping some sweet potato fries. The chowder, pair of shoes and red shoe burger are also good choices. Staff are friendly and service was great.

Toronto, Canada
“Great food with a good vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great local place with live music. I really enjoyed my steak sandwich and chili. Service was fast and friendly.

Visited August 2013
Souris, Canada
“Great if a fan of fiddle music but a bit loud for conversation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We ate on the deck so we could talk. Meal a bit slow but the restaurant was full and waitress pleasant. We would return.