“Place to be in Mabou”

Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Mabou
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We stumbled accross this place this past Saturday, which was the day after it had opened for the season. They are only open from June until October. It is very quaint, and it has the very best seafood chowder of anyplace we found in Nova Scotia or PEI. The waiter was super nice to our group, and honest in admitting he had only started the day before, and hadn't tried all the items on the menu yet. He went back to the chef on a couple of occasions to ask if he could change a menu item for us (which they did), and was very attentive to our lunchtime needs. This is a really good restaurant and should be added to Trip Advisor. Thanks, John Ward Smith
Dubuque, Iowa
“Place to be in Mabou”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great food and waitstaff. Unfortunately missed the band that night, if we make it back to Mabou, we will definitely make it a point to stop in.

• Visited September 2012

Roseville, CA
“Could be friendlier...”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wanted to love this place. I was familiar with the Rankin family musicians and I was excited to be there... but this is the only place in all of Cape Breton where I sensed a lack of warmth towards tourists. We went on two consecutive nights. On the first visit, our waitress was reasonably professional and pleasant, though she seemed more interested in chatting with the bartender than in serving. The second evening, a different waitress was downright sullen. When my mother politely asked if she could have extra whipped cream on her dessert, the waitress actually rolled her eyes, didn't answer, and brought the dessert with the smallest dab of whipped cream I have ever seen. A simple "no, we don't do that," would have been a better response if that is the policy. Food was good, especially the soup; I thought the desserts were good but a little pricey for what they were. But what spoiled it for me was the sullen waitress and the overall sense that the staff as a whole was much happier to see local folks than tourists; understandable, but they didn't have to be so obvious. We are not obnoxious people and we did nothing wrong. The last time I felt like such an outsider was in the cafeteria of a new school in seventh grade. Since this was our first stop on our tour of Cape Breton, I was worried that the whole island was going to be this clannish, but fortunately that was not the case; people were very welcoming everywhere else we went.

Visited July 2012
Sydney, Canada
“Loved it!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had a small menue but the food was great. The service was good despite it being absolutely packed. Great ambiance... loved the entertainment! I wished I was staying overnight so I could have gone back for the evening.

Smithfield, Rhode Island
“Don't miss this !!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you are on Cape Breton Island , make this a must !! The food is fantastic , the service was great , the Red Shoe Ale was awesome , the music was fantastic ( as was the dancing !) !! My husband and I were on Cape Breton Island this year , for the week of the Celtic Colours , we were staying in the area and had dinner here three times , every night they had music from 9:00 till 12:00 , it was a blast , the perfect end to the perfect day. Can't say enough , you must try it yourself !!!

• Visited October 2012
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Hearty fare along the Ceilidh Trail”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Red Shoe Pub was reopened by the Rankin sisters and offers nightly Celtic session music along with tasty fare that transcends the usual pub offerings. The oblong dining room has about twenty tables; there is a floor area on the left with a piano and ceiing-mounted lighting and speakers for the musicians. The bar faces the kitchen and seats about eight.

The chili, with large chunks of sausage and a side corn muffin, is the best I've ever had. Salmon and scallop dishes are succulent, The pasta special, spaghetti alla,puttanesca on my most recent visit, was tasty but not outstanding. The locally brewed Red Shoe Ale is often the beverage of choice here.

The musical Rankin sisters are much beloved in Cape Breton and beyond, and many of the visitors almost awed to be in their establishment. Sadly, Raylene Rankin passed away recently, and her death was deeply felt by fans who make the pilgrimage to the Red Shoe Pub.

• Visited October 2012