“very nice”

Dining options: Reservations
South Head
“very nice”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The food is very good and they are quite busy at times.The restaurant is very quaint and the service is fine.Reservations are a good idea.

Visited July 2013
Louise C, General Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We were quite busy last year and hope that it will continue this season. I do hope you enjoyed this beautiful island that we call home.

Catalone
“Great Food and Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I moved to the area at the beginning of summer, and it wasn't long before we decided to try out some local restaurants.

As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a friendly waitress and told it'd be a few minutes as the place was quite full. We chit chatted with fellow patrons and admired the decor and the 15 or so minutes flew by.
Our waitress (the woman who greeted us) brought us to our table, gave us menus, a pitcher of water, and my husband's drink order. Very prompt.
The prices for some items are a little steep, and being new to the place we wanted to play it safe, ordering a turkey supper for myself and lasagna for my husband (under 15$ each). While waiting we were given these giant squares of porridge bread which were delicious (though they're served cold, I do wish they were warm!). Our meals came and they were absolutely huge. For the price, even if the food is so-so, these portions are worth it.

I asked for chow with my turkey and received it at no extra charge. My gravy had an odd yellowish tinge to it which I was a little hesitant about, until I tried it - I don't know why it's yellow but its fantastic. My turkey was moist and succulent, dressing seemed homemade, potatoes were perfect. The veggies were average preprepped veggies but were at least seasoned and tasty. My husband's lasagna had a homecooked taste and reminded me of my grandmother's - simple and hearty, the garlic bread was equally tasty. I tried in vain to finish my meal and hubby ate all his and was very satisfied. The waitress was very happy go lucky and attentive to her many tables, where she was quick with a joke and drink refills, couldn't ask for more.
The desserts were brought forth on a rickety antique cart which was both nostalgic and amusing as the waitresses tried to navigate it through the packed restaurant. We were too full to sample, but they all looked lovely.

We returned a month later for my husband's birthday and our experience was quite the same (longer wait, but that gave us time to walk the boardwalk and enjoy a summer's evening). Hubby tried the hamburger plate while I stuck to the turkey and yellow gravy. His burger was certainly tasty but didn't get the glowing review my turkey did (again) and it left him wishing he'd ordered lasagna. I asked if they could sneak my husband a piece of chocolate cake after his meal as a surprise - which they did, getting the whole place to sing happy birthday in the process. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

All in all, the Grubstake proves to be a boisterous place with the feel of a traditional Cape Breton home. With it's eclectic decor, rousing staff, and hearty homemade delights; it is definitely a place I'd recommend and I will certainly be returning time and time again.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We had an exceptionally busy year last year and are hoping to have s similar outcome this coming season. I trust you enjoyed your vacation on our beautiful island.
Baltimore, MD
“Welcoming Restaurant”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

It was our first night in Louisbourg and we were hungry and tired. We felt welcomed by the staff and were seated and served quickly. They serve good food in decent portions.

Visited August 2013
we are so pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. So very sorry about the lateness of responding to your review but we certainly do appreciate it.
Halifax, Canada
“Have been several times”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We visit Louisbourg every year and we usually have a meal here, lunch or dinner. This trip we ate there on the night they were closing for the winter. They had a buffet and the food was good. The mussels had run out and when I asked I was told they were gone but noticed that a short time later they managed to find some for someone else. I especially enjoyed the Chicken Royale and was told the recipe was on the web site. This is not so!! My husband was not keen on the cabbage rolls but enjoyed everything else.
We would eat here again next visit.

• Visited October 2013
Sorry you didnt get your mussels what we do with the beggars banquet is alternate between mussels and chowder and or soup hence the no mussels. Unfortunately Chicken Royale recipe isnt online but if you email the grubstake I will gladly send it to you.Thank you for taking the time in writing your review.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“A Huge Dissapointment”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

With my wife, I have been travelling around Nova Scotia and New Brunswick for almost three weeks so my expectation of getting anything resembling good food has waned considerably. Whilst the fish and seafood is generally OK the accompaniments have been pretty awful just about everywhere. Finding any food that has been created with flair and imagination has been impossible. Which brings me on to the Grubstake.

We arrived late afternoon and there were two other people in the restaurant, close to departing. I ordered mussels for one and two sirloin steaks. One steak with salad, one with fries. The young waitress didn't seem to understand what sirloin was and had to look at my menu to check it out.

Mussels arrived. OK but no better, they were served without a spoon for drinking the liquid, (one of the joys of mussels), and without any bread, (a necessity with mussels). They did come with a dish of garlic butter for dipping the mussels - a world first! I asked for bread and was given a small loaf of crumbly brown bread that was very sweet and more like cake in taste and structure and no match for the mussels- and was served with only margarine, I had to ask for butter.

Steaks arrived. Luke warm at best and on cold plates (a Nova Scotia tradition it seems), with one much rarer than ordered. The fries must have been the cheapest quality produced anywhere and were quite cold, but would still have also been terrible served hot. The vegetables were a disgrace, cold unimaginative and the carrots (bought in pre-prepared I was told because they didn't have space to prepare carrots) had a white coating, probably the effect of the preservative used in the preparation. The salad was chopped up bits and pieces on top of the lettuce.

When I complained the waitress, not the young one, put her hand on my food to confirm it was cold and then took it away. It arrived back, on a cold plate, steak as cold as it was before with fresh hot fries. I was past caring by now!

One steak was quite tough and most was left, nearly all the fries and all the veg was left on the plates and was removed without comment.

We chose a dessert, blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream, that was good. Why it was only served with a very small fork I am not sure, perhaps it is the custom there to use your thumb?

Without wine or beers this lot came to over $80. Far in excess of what it was worth, but I would have paid willingly that or more for a good meal..

The manager was on duty that day, but, interesting to note, despite food being returned to the kitchen because it was cold and a considerable amount left on the plate - and my comments to the waitress, the manager did not consider coming to talk with me. That speaks volumes!

We were in Louisbourg or two nights and this restaurant was recommended as the better of the two places in town. We attempted to eat here the evening before but they were fully booked with a party, so we went to the number two restaurant along the coast about 400 yards away where we had a great meal and friendly caring attention. It's the Lobster Kettle, you should go there.

• Visited October 2013
Louise C, General Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank You for the revised edition of your review it makes me feel so much better knowing that you had a change of heart about strangling myself and the chef, it must make you feel good about yourself as well. Just a few things I would like to point out. The first young waitress that took your order is deaf and that is the reason she had you show her which steak you wanted to order. Secondly I was upstairs in the office when you were going on with your tirade and when the waitress asked you if you would like to speak to me she used great judgement after you threatened physical harm to myself maybe if I had been notified we would have had a different outcome. Finally, how dare we provide a dessert fork for you to eat your pie maybe we should have provided you a serving spoon.