“Would of liked to try more...”

Grubstake Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Louisbourg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bristol Connecticut USA
“Would of liked to try more...”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We randomly picked the Grubstake after our long walk and visit to the fort. We arrived around 3:30 pm so very off hours and place was mostly empty. We expected basic diner food but, based on our admittedly solo visit, we got much more. We are from CT in the states and go out a lot at home so when something extra crosses our paths we notice. One of our top meals on our 14 day vacation. I had Haddock cakes and wife had a club sandwich. My cakes were great, beans seemed scratch made along with excellent fresh role and relish. Wife's love her sandwich also with some kind of "special sauce". All great.

• Visited July 2013
Louise C, General Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank You for your great review. It was certainly our pleasure serving you.

Moncton, Canada
“was better last time”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

atmosphere was nice, service was pleasant as well. The food this visit however, was lacking. the fish n' chips consisted of over cooked fried fish, and frozen fries, and the lobster sandwich left something to be desired. Have had much better luck in the past, so would still recommend it in hopes that the current cook will improve.

• Visited August 2013
Louise C, General Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your review I am so sorry that your experience this time was disappointing for you. I do hope you will return and that your next experience will meet all of your expectations that you previously had with us.
Cape Breton,
“Nice meal, good service and nice atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visited the Grubstake after being at the fortress all day. This was my first visit to the restaurant which I have seen so many times. We were greeted promptly and sat a a table fast. Waitress was very friendly and helpful even as they got busy around 6pm. I did find the menu a little pricy but I suppose that is necessary for a restaurant only seasonally opened. Food was excellent, the salad was very fresh and my burger was wonderful. The washrooms were clean but could use some renovations as a sink and urinal were out of order. Overall a very good experience, would recommend to visitors!

• Visited August 2013
Thank You for your wonderful review. I am so glad that your first dining experience with us was a good one. Looking forward to serving you again
Sydney, Canada
“You Shouldn't Eat Here!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The crab cakes the manager speaks so highly of in previous reviews is a joke and an insult to Cape Breton women, there isn't one grandmother I know of that would claim your crab cakes as their own, however, I do agree they resemble something from the freezer dated in 1972. My experience with your establishment, just this past week, was a terrible disappointment. Instead of writing how sorry your management is, do something to fix it. Our experience of over priced, sub-standard food, came as a surprise considering the "Fine Dining claim by a Nova Scotia magazine which is what brought us there. The wait staff are not adequately trained, had she been, she would have known that when a customer orders a meal with the request of mash potatoes, she doesn't wait (the waitress) until the customer's order of a roast beef dinner is being served, to inform them "they ran out of mash potatoes", and that she took it upon herself to serve the meal with a substitute of roasted potatoes, as she places the plate in front of me. Bad service, I do not like roasted potatoes, and I would have been happy to tell her this had she asked me before hand. Upon tasting the meat with gravy, which was served ice cold, I sent it back, it was returned to me still ice cold, (after heating it up in the microwave, you couldn't touch the plate without burning your fingers). UNACCEPTABLE!!! There were a few other things that went wrong with the meal, over cooked shrimp & scallops(over priced), frozen crab legs, I could go on. The waitress was very apologetic, for the experience, however the responsibility I feel falls on the manager to ensure the kitchen is doing it's best to have food prepared properly, we weren't the only people having this experience that evening. I do feel the owner should be taking a long look at the operation of the kitchen staff, and management in general. When asking for the manager, it took her 20 minutes to come to our table, she was not apologetic or sincere you Louise were annoyed with our complaints which was evident in your demeanour. You came to our table and said " I understand there is a problem here" as my daughter explained the issues that had happened your response was,over your shoulder you said " Just pay for the crab legs", as you walked away in a huff. However, when my daughter went to pay the bill, she was charged for the appetizers, the bill for a plate of mussels, one French onion soup, an order of those famous 3 crab cakes two of which were, also left on the plate, and 2 ice tea, one cup of tea and a soda pop a whopping $75.00 unbelievable. Very poor customer service I do believe. I've been in the restaurant business for over 30 years, I would never have a customer leave my establishment with an empty stomach, especially after I was made aware to the problem with the kitchen staff that can't heat up a piece of roast beef with gravy. To then to add insult to injury, charge the customer for their inconvenience. Shocking!! Needless to say we will not be endorsing your establishment anytime soon.

1 Thank cheryl M
Louise C, Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
I normally don't tell our side of the story when responding to a bad review but in this case I think it is necessary that I do. We were very busy and I gave you the last table that I had available. You didn't like the table that I was sitting you at because you were cold and tired from your day at the cove and took it upon yourself to move to another table even though it was reserved. You then complained to the waitress about being cold and made her shut the air conditioner off which made the room unbearably hot. You all ordered appetizers ate them and then decided you were full and cancel your mains however it was too late because they were prepared and already on the line which upset you all .My wait staff are very well trained and are excellent at their job. Did I handle the situation correctly probably not and for that I do apologize but I will protect my staff when they are being verbally attacked. I think we were both in a lose lose situation and clearly no one came out the winner.
Montreal, Canada
“a good meal after Louisbourg visit !”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

with a small village-family type atmosphere, me and 3 kids got a great dinner at Grubstake...I had the chicken with roasted potatoes...simple and delicious....the kids got club sandwich and were very happy...with a bit of room left for desserts, we picked up one of each of the homemade cake...the lemon pie got the prize and was voted best.

so, after our Louisbourg forteresse visit, it was a great way to end our day, surrounded by friendly people there.

• Visited August 2013
Louise C, Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
It was a pleasure serving you after your long day at the Fortress.Just come in sit down and relax and let us take care of you. Thank you for your great review.