“Grubstake”

Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Louisbourg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Restaurant was two minute walk from Harborside Inn. Wife had Haddock. I had Roast Beef. Both were cooked to perfection and were great. We both had desserts that were awesome from dessert cart. On top of all that restaurant gave 10% discount when I showed DoD retired ID. I thanked them very much for that honor. Surprised that they would honor American veteran.

Louise C, Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

We are so very thankful to all the servicemen/women of North America that put their lives on the line daily for our freedom.It is our honor to recognize all of you be it in retirement or active duty. So Once again Thank You..

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had the seafood chowder which was quite good. My husband had fish and chips which he enjoyed. Prices reasonable. Chose to eat in town rather than at the Fort which was a bit pricey.

Louise C, Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

I am delighted that you enjoyed your dinner with us and enjoyed the seafood chowder and fish and chips. Our chowder won the best chowder award 3 years ago against the other restaurants in town something which we are very proud of.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The service was great, the food was great!! It was everything we could want in a dining experience plus the "small town feeling." My wife is still talking about the chocolate cake desert! lol. We'll be back. :)

Louise C, Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank You so much for your kind words I am so glad you had a great dining experience.with us.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our hostess recommended here for dinner. There is little choice in Louisbourg and no late night options at all. That's fine, its a very small town relying on seasonal employment and tourism for the Fortress.

The food was good, dessert being the best, but nothing else being a stand-out. Scallops were over cooked and the sauce was a bit too heavy so that they were overwhelmed. Snow crab was fresh and ok. Veggies were inconsistent in so far as mine were only warm and both my wife and my 'roasted' potatoes were actually more like chunky home-fries.

We were not in town long enough to sample other locales, so cannot fairly recommend any other. If you stay for more than a couple of days, we suggest that you shop around to the few other reataurants and decide for yourself.

Louise C, Manager at Grubstake Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

I was disappointed to hear that you didnt enjoy your dinner with us.We do strive to ensure that everyone leave happy and I am sorry this was not the case in your situation. Please accept my apology and I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stopped in here for lunch after stopping into the visitor's centre next door. Friendly service, very uncomfortable chairs though. We were informed that they had run out of the lobster roll on the lunch menu and it was crab roll instead. I was looking forward to a lobster roll so ordered the crab one anyway. I was so disappointed when I took one bite and it ended up being the fake surimi crab meat that you can find in the frozen sectioin of a grocery store.
I tried my hubby's fish cakes and those were ok. at least they tasted like real fish. the beans tasted like canned beans.

I am sorry you didnt enjoy your lunch with us..Please accept my apology. I trust you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.