“Worst Experience Ever”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ingonish
Sydney, Canada
“Worst Experience Ever”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We actually liked it originally and would have recommended it if it were not for the owners. The cottages are plain and outdated with zero frills. The owners were unprofessional and miserable. They asked for money up front (fine) and if we had extra guests which nights they were going to be staying (which we found a little strange but since they had our visa number said that we would let them know as soon as we did). We checked out and everything was fine. We were happpy with our stay (despite the service) because it was part of a great vacation however, a week later after arriving home from vacation I received a phone call from my father (I am in my 30s and don't live at home) telling me that the cottage was trying to get in touch with me because we had "broken a coffee table and duct taped it back together." RIDICULOUS!!!! I called the owner and she was rude, unreasonable and her story kept changing. I got the impression that she tries this with people who stay there to try and make a few extra dollars. She said she was going to bill my credit card, because they still had the number. I promptly cancelled my card. I actually liked their cottages as value for money (read - cheap) but the owner has soured the experience. There are many nicer places to stay in Ingonish with better service. Go somewhere else.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Seabee11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Before picking this location, I checked tripadvisor and I wasn't sure if this place was going to be a good idea, but we booked it anyway. And I'm glad we did!
We got a room right in the front so we had the most perfect view of the ocean. As soon as we opened our blinds, we were speechless. We especially liked how we had two seats outside our door so it was great just having a moment outside with a beautiful view.

I personally saw no problems with the rooms. People have to remember that these kind of places aren't five star hotels. And based on where it's located, I thought the price was worth it. The bed was very comfortable and the TV was nice. We did have trouble with the lock but after a few mintues of playing around with it, we finally figured it out haha.
The people at the front desk were very nice and friendly. We couldn't even get to our room right away because the man kept on talking, but we enjoyed it!

All and all, my husband and I would definitely come back to this location and would recommend it to all of our friends. Just make sure to ask for a room right at front!

P.S. enjoy cabot trail. I cannot explain how beautiful it was!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Very small with little room for suitcases and gear. A door with a torn screen. A smell of mold even though the windows were left open. A floor tilted to one side putting our heads lower than our feet when lying on the bed. A nice tv with no direction about how to access anything. The same with the door lock, push then turn. Interesting the lady said every one has trouble with that. Curious mounting of the mirror in the bathroom, lucky you could stand in outside the door to use the mirror. Towels that must have been made in the 1950's. Nice view of the bay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raja8385

Travelers are raving about these Ingonish hotels

Belleville, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Seabreeze for two nights, and to our delight were given a motel unit, facing the ocean. The view was a real bonus, but the property was also clean and maintained well. Yes, the room was small (but try European hotels!!) but it had a bar fridge, basic microwave, ample power outlets, a comfortable bed and an excellent LCD TV and extensive satellite! And an armchair was a welcome touch!
The location on the Cabot Trail in Ingonish was just ideal and we would certainly recommend this area. The most 'spectacular' part of the Cabot Trail is on the north side, east of Cheticamp, in my humble opinion, but, to get the greatest slice of not only the Cabot but Nova Scotian Cape Breton life, the 10 km stretch either side of the Seabreeze will offer up up views, access, trails, necessities and some excellent 'down home' dining!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
new brunswick
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Traveled from New Brunswick to Cape Breton to check out the cabot trail, stayed Cheticamp and was very impressed with the food/hotels, came to Ingonish and stayed here which was a bad idea. I was with my wife and the front desk/manager whoever threatened to kick my wife and I out if we gave her "any problems", this was her answer to my wife saying hello, when i confronted her she told me if i didnt leave her office i'd be kicked out with my money not refunded, we stayed one night and left.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank coryebailey
Halifax
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We spent a couple of days here on a girls tip around the Cabot Trail this past summer and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff was welcoming and demonstrated gold old Cape Breton hospitality. Great hiking and outdoor activities close by that are second to none. Great location and we'll see you again in 2010.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arnova
Halifax
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My partner and I are in our mid 40's and visited Ingonish for a week hiking and biking. We stayed in one of the chalets for 3 nights and were very happy with our accomodations. Comfortable beds, no loud noise when expected, and only steps from the beach across the road. The location was perfect for us. We will come again. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blazer31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingonish
Seascape Coastal Retreat
#1 of 7 in Cheticamp
Ingonish Chalets
Ingonish Chalets
#3 of 7 in Ingonish

Been to Sea Breeze Cottages and Motel? Share your experiences!