See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I am not sure in what cottage/cabin some of the people stayed, but we stayed in cabin #503 and it was more than we expected... 2 bedrooms, 2 full washrooms and full housekepping...... they even clean our BBQ after we used it... I had never seen this kind of service in other cottages I rented, where you clean everything in the kitchen before you leave or you usually have to make your own bed. The beach was amazing, my kids loved it! very calm and it was relaxing to sit in the lounge chairs watching the ocean from this property. They didn't advertise ocean view from the cottages, so I wasn't expecting having to walk far to the beach, but we were jsut a few stepd, I could see the ocean from the entrance of my cottage and could heard the waves from my room. the staff was really corteous and helpful. The restaurant was really good, we eat every day and all the plates were good. At night , they started a fire pit and kept it going, even tough there wasn't any people staying for long, most people sat down for a bit and then left. We did like this property and we would come back..... if I had to complain about something it would be one my my washrooms had a couple of small holes in the sink and the bathtub, the water was running on the shower constantly as it was hard to close, so the runnign water left marks in the bathtub....... to me it was not a big deal. I could probably pay an extra $70- to $150 a day for other resorts with a beautiful beach in Cabot Trail like the Celctic, but I rather save the money and eat better...... I agree with some reviews they could upgrade the washrooms, but if they do they would probably have to increase the prices. I talke dto one of our neighbors that was staying at cabin #501 and she mantioned the wahroom was not that good, but in our cabin out of the two wahrooms, only one neede soem fixing. I heard this resort also have suites that have been renovated and apparently are beautful inside, but the starting price for these suites are $299 a day, which is much higher than the $170 a day I paid for the 2 bedroom/ 2 washroom cottage.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This may have been a nice resort 20 years ago but it is quite a dive now. Shabby and didnt feel clean. The pool was closed which nobody told us when we booked or checked in. The 'beach' of the beach resort was rocky and very hard to access and when we went for dinner we waited over an hour for our food. Which wasn't too impressive when we got it. for the money I would keep driving, as you can find other places around this price point that aren't like this place. The pictures on their website are very deceiving and we felt ripped off but didnt let it ruin our trip because Cape Breton is so very pretty.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scubashe
Reviewed June 4, 2010

What more can I say, it was overpriced and shabby, services advertising in the Nova Scotia 2010 travel guide were not available, the complex is tired and run down and we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed at this "resort" for our 40th anniversary and my hubsband wanted to golf Highland Links. We booked the Muir room and disgraceful is all I can say. Small, dirty and rotting. The balcony was rusting away. There was water getting under the bathroom floor and by the time we left it was completely saturated. Brought this to the staff's attention but I may as well have been talking to the wall. By the way the walls in our room were so thin we could hear quests talking in the room attached to us. The web site said a view of the ocean which is not true. You can hear the ocean but not see it. The whole property is run down and in much need of TLC.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank morley1948
Glenghorm, General Manager at Glenghorm Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2010

Glenghorm Beach Resort is located on the Cabot Trail. The Beach Resort name comes from the fact we have two deluxe beach houses on the property along with a children’s playground, bicycle rentals, nightly bonfires and a pub with nightly entertainment. The deluxe beach houses are professionally decorated with jacuzzi tubs, kitchenette, fireplaces and two TV’s – the room rate of the suites does drive up the average rate – the suites start at $195 per night however you can get a B&B package in a basic hotel room for $109 per couple. The cottages at the resort are rustic and we have guests that have been returning to the cottages for 20 years. The cottages are great for golf groups and families with young kids since there is a lot of sleeping space. Any hotel room comments were addressed when one of the buildings was demolished before the 2009 season began. The long term plan is to build more deluxe beach house suites however we listen to our guests and the majority did not want the rustic cottages to be changed into Beach houses at this time so they are available to rent – professionally cleaned daily. The rustic cottages are just that – rustic – however if you are looking for a beautifully decorated suite near the ocean in Ingonish with a private sand beach we have it. The hotel rooms are basic traditional hotel rooms and there is no view of the ocean from your room – but you can walk down the path in the evening to enjoy an evening bonfire or in the morning to gaze over the ocean with your morning coffee while relaxing in an arderondack chair.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful however we have hired new students in the past few years who were just becoming familiar with the property and the procedure on customer comments. As the manager of this facility I take great pride in servicing guests from around the world and if there is anything wrong with a room or the service at Glenghorm I personally would be available to take care of it with the customer. I invite all of you to visit us in 2010 and be sure to stop in and say hello – my door is always open.

Colleen Dunphy

Glenghorm Beach Resort

Reviewed October 6, 2009

This is a cheap motel with a fancy name. We booked the basic room and it was the low light of our Maritimes stays. The walls are paper thin so we got no sleep until well into the night when everyone had quieted down, then were woken early to the stampede of people leaving. We would have been more forgiving if the price reflected the value. Way over priced given the condition. Frommer's tags this place "Best of the Best" so I booked it but I can only assume they were bribed. Bring your ear plugs or better yet plan your trip to skip this place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple