“Needs upgrades”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ingonish
London, Canada
“Needs upgrades”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights over the long wkend. I was fairly unimpressed if not downright disappointed with most aspects of my room.
Even before entering; I was put in a "suite" ...unit 410, I noticed that the door frame and door itself were pretty filthy and in need of some new paint. The room itself is unspectacular, especially at $289.00/night. There is a real sense of neglect in the room, a few small holes in the walls, very old CRT TV's in the cabinets, the cabinet door in the bedroom was practically falling off its hinges and what channels you do get, half are very snowy. I really felt like I was back in the '70's living in my parents basement. They have definitely gone bargain basement on the beds. I have literally never slept on such rock hard mattresses in my life. Another oddity was that this unit came with 2 queen beds but they both were in the same bedroom. Very odd unless you're Dick Van Dyke and your wife is Mary Tyler Moore.
The beds were so bad that my 2nd night there I dragged the mattress from one bed and placed it on top of the other bed.......seemed to make it even worse.
I was initially to stay 3 nights but had to leave and find another hotel after the 2nd night b/c all the beds were identical in all the units.
Soundproofing is non-existent. I had people above me and the floors are so thin that more than once I thought that the creaking of a bedroom door was actually someone coming into my bedroom.
They list this place as a resort but just take a drive down through the property which is nice I must admit, but you'll notice things like the extremely cheap and filthy outdoor plastic chairs they give every unit instead of possibly placing a few nicer and far more comfortable Adirondack chairs outside.........................maybe even with a small table to set a drink or a cup of coffee on.
Lastly..................if you are to call yourself a resort at the very least have wifi available in the rooms.
I would not recommend this "Resort" to anyone unless they decrease their rates substantially.

Room Tip: If you must stay here try and secure one of their cottages near the beach area. Possibly a better va...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hatthead2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family spend a few days here every summer as a family vacation to Ingonish. We love it here, it has an absolutely beautiful view and a great sandy private beach. The grounds are always well kept and if the weather is good a fire is started in the fire pit every night. We always stay in the cottages, which are rustic, but we spend so little time in them it makes no difference, and for the price, there's nothing to complain about! The pub at the resort provides love entertainment every night, we always have a great time singing, clapping and even sometimes dancing to classic east coast and cape Breton tunes. Great place! Don't let other reviews scare you away!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Gillamgirl
Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Comfortable beachfront two bedroom cottage for three adults & a dog. Relax to the sound of the waves in Muskoka chairs. Nice views & long beach for walks. Two double beds, couch & kitchen with coffee maker & refrigerator. On site pub serves local Glen Breton whisky. Would return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front cottage.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vin0tint0
toronto
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I lived my stay here. Sure rooms are outdated but are soon to be refurb. Restaurant and cafe great. Service amaz. Esp shirley in te thirsty hiker pub

Live tunes playing acadian music was memorable. Thanks Cyril!!! Ur amazing.
We got his cd. Great!
Beach is beauty,clean and private.
Huge play area chairs playground.
Motel style rooms or cottage.
Spend a bit more and get a beachside cabin- bbq picnic tables and a killer view.
A great stop before attacking the windy,steep hills of the cab trail!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank cubaluvr
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

It was with some concern we booked a 2 day stay after reading some of the on line comments. We were met by a friendly desk clerk and we asked for a quiet room. We were situated in a small 14? Room complex at the rear of the property. It was clean with couch, table, chairs and tiled entrance and bathroom. The rear door led to a small patio with a picnic table. For the price it was perfect. The breakfast nook staff were friendly and prompt. Granted it s not a new hotel but it was not new hotel prices. It is a sprawling complex and they are doing the best they can.

2 Thank GeorgeandCathy
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our room here was definitely over-priced considering the age of the place but there are not many options in this area for a "simple" motel room. Due to the corner location, we had a very small and oddly arranged bathroom. The spacious grounds and waterfront seating made up for the overpayment of the room though. We had two very relaxing after-hike happy hours bayside. The location of the facilty worked well for us so that made up for the less-than satisfactory room. It was clean and comfortable. No AC but we had cool nights so it was no problem. I'd give the room a less-than average rating but the location and grounds deserve at least an average rating.

2 Thank Patty A
Sydney, NS
Reviewed July 9, 2013

we stayed at the Glenghorm this past Sunday, we booked online, and it was last minute, so we could only get a room with two double beds. it was all we needed. although it wasn't air conditioned, there was good air flow between the bathroom window and the two bedroom windows, we also sat on the deck to get cooler. they provide a fan, so we just used that at night. no complaints. there was an ice machine behind the main building, and we were very thankful for that.

we went to the thirsty hiker pub for some food and drinks. the beer was cold and the mussels were amazing. great time. the bartender, shirley was great, and there was some great local live entertainment.

overall, we had a wonderful time at the glenghorm. we would definitely stay there again, but we would probably try for a little cabin or some other type of room. maybe something with a kitchenette. (if we arent booking last minute :)

1 Thank Linds_And_Andrew