“Difficult golf course in need of maintenance.....”

Highlands Links Golf Course
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Ingonish
Ottawa, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Difficult golf course in need of maintenance.....”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Highland Links course is naturally challenging with it's rolling fairways and rather peaceful set in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. As a first time player on a rolling fairway course I found the fairways to be wide but the rollings hills, or "mini mountains" as I called them were very difficult. As far as the course condition a lot of maintenance is required. The fairways were patched with different types of grass, some of the tee boxes were a disaster and badly needed cutting, but the greens were in excellent condition. For the price I expected the course to be in better condition. I would highly recommend the course management hire some golf course experts to maintain the course.

Visited August 2014

Calabasas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A little unkempt....”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Think of a beautifully designed and architecturally magnificent golf course, somewhat neglected. Some tee boxes were torn to shreds, not level, the grass was too high. The greens were well cut, though, they must have concentrated on at least keeping the greens in excellent condition. A little money back into the course would easily restore it to grandeur. For now, though, you will put up with areas that are not quite manicured. Also, in July, the mosquitoes and flies were merciless. However, the scenery was spectacular, and on one hole, while waiting for the landing area to clear, I brought out my camera to take a photo of the panorama, and at that moment a bald eagle soared over my head! I left the course feeling that it wouldn't take much to make this place a five star course.

Visited July 2014
Regina, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Scenic / challenging”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Very scenic course, from ocean views to forested fairways. We saw moose as well. The fairways are rolling which can be difficult for those that have not played that style of course. The greens were a little rough shape but we did visit early June. Maintenance workers were working hard to get the course in shape.

Visited June 2014
houston, tx
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“a fun track”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Very linksy course in design, condition and wind. Wide open fairways but lots of trouble if you stray. Local knowledge a big help as seemingly good approaches to some of the very large greens can wind up in trouble if you don't land on correct side.
Pretty pricey ($180) if you walk and carry your clubs. Plenty of caddies available. No riding carts unless you have medical issues and reserve in advance. It's a pretty easy walkinng course. Picturesque - bring a camera. Nice 19th hole. We didn't stay at on-site hotel, but people say it's nice.

Visited August 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“a great course that needs private mangement”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

After looking forward to playing this Thompson gem for many months after my brother in law praised it from 3 yrs ago, my wife and I arrived on Sunday, 25th August. It was a perfect day, the clubhouse and attendants were polite and very helpful. We were joined by a judge from Sydney, CBI, who played the course many times over many years and this magnified our enjoyment factor many times over. He explained to me when I mentioned the condition of the course has being much below other "top 100" courses I have played that the government had taken over management and it saddened him greatly to watch the deterioration of a once great course. My brother-in-law could not believe my description of the fairways and greens. All that being said, if you are in the neighborhood, I urge you to play it because history is such a big part of this game we love and the topography is still as pretty has it gets. It is a test too because I'm a 7 handicapper and shot 84 ! signed, a retired North Carolina golfer.

Visited August 2013