“One of the BEST National Parks we've seen!”

Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$940.03*
and up
Cape Breton Island
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Ingonish
More attraction details
Owner description: Treasures abound throughout the headlands and rugged cliffs of Cape Breton Highlands with its abundant wildlife, spectacular scenery and human history dating back to the last Ice Age.
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I have traveled all over the US and Cape Breton Highlands National Park is by FAR one of our faves to date. The drive from Wreck Cove (just south of Cape Smokey) up to Ingonish is breath-taking but that's just the beginning and not even part of the National Park. Once you get up to Neal's Harbour, make sure to take the Atlantic Scenic Route along the coast (you have to hop off the Cabot Trail for a little while but it reconnects further north). Meat Cove was the ULTIMATE destination and offered views that we never imagined would be part of this island. It was like being in Kauai with the lush green moutnains towering over the turqoise blue Atlantic. I can't begin to describe the beauty of this island, but make sure to stop at Cabot's Landing Provincial Park up in Aspy Bay. GORGEOUS beach!! The best part - no one is around. That's what makes this National Park so different from the U.S. parks. You'll love it. Go!!

11  Thank Jenae H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"visitor center"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2010

AM I CRAZY? I am currently traveling through Nova Scotia with my husband, three children (14, 11, 8), mother-in-law and mother-in-law's sister, both in their eighties. I'm writing about our trip at www.cheryl-blogblogblog.blogspot.com.
Our travels include stops in Halifax, Pictou, Mabou, Inverness, Cheticamp, Cape Breton National Park, Baddeck, Englishtown, Glace Bay and Louisburg.
If you'd like to learn about our diverse little group's travel experience, feel free to visit my blog. If you leave comments under the entries, I'd be happy to provide more information about each place visited. I'd also love to hear what you think about the blog!

2  Thank cherylinnovascotia
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We traveled from New Brunswick during the May long weekend. We drove through Ingonish over to Cheticamp and camped at the Cheticamp campground. There is some road construction ongoing which blocks off the best section of the tenting sites.

We hiked the skyline trail which is flat with great views near the end. The Acadian trail near the information center was excellent, with many great views of the Cheticamp area and back into the headlands of the highlands. The Acadian trail, especially coming back down hill along the stream feels very natural and not controlled/managed like some other trails in national parks.

The scenery was awesome and things were just starting to get green. It would be even better in the summer and even better in the fall.

Definitely worth the trip. Even if you just do the Cabot Trail drive, it is worth it. One of the most scenic drives I have ever been on.

3  Thank EasternCanadian
Reviewed October 16, 2009

The views are outstanding. At almost every turn you are going to want to pull over for an umptienth lookout. This trail should take about 3 hours but with all the gorgeous things to look out from views, trails to waterfalls it will take you a whole entire day. Well worth the drive, ENJOY!