“Wonderful location, tired resort”

Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ingonish
Barnard, Vermont
“Wonderful location, tired resort”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

A tired room for 316.80 Canadian plus an additional 54.17 in taxes???? The total for the night was 370.97 Over the top for expensive for what was received. The room value was no more that a 125 dollar a night room, in need of an extensive restoration. THe Lodge was tired, nice but tired and it showed the age. The staff was terrific though and the location was very good.....lots to see and do there especially if you liked beaches. It's a golf retreat so if you like to play it may be OK for the price.
The restaurant was above average and the breakfast which was included in the room rate was very nice with an extensive breakfast menu, not over the top but worth the breakfast.
No air conditioning in the room but the noisy window fan worked well.
I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different resort or B&B
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking to time to share these comments with us. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our dining options and the world renowned views.

We’re sorry we didn’t meet your value expectations and we’re disappointed you feel that you didn’t receive the experience we’re known to provide our guests.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly so we can talk about these concerns in further detail. We hope to have to opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Matthew Mackenzie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Hotel needs renovation. Great location however the hotel is in desparate need of renovation. Bathrooms probably haven't been changed since the 70's
The location is great. I hope someone puts the money in. It's a shame

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, we appreciate your feedback. We apologize that our accommodations didn’t meet your traveling expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly so we can discuss these issues in further details.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have gone there for the past 2 falls for the falls for the foliage. This has been our home base. This is a world class spot. The hiking trials offer outstanding views. The food is great in the Purple Thistle. I am not a big fan of Celtic music but the guy was authentic. It was kind of unique in that we were there when it was the week before it closed and it seemed there were quite a few people that had been going there for years and that added a lot to it. The rooms were fine with nice views. Only compliant is when I see bus tours pull in but I understand business is business is business, but it does lose it's quaintness. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DukeDetroit_Michigan
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Keltic Lodge and for sharing your experience with us. We’re delighted that you had the opportunity to explore our beautiful property, try our delicious restaurant options and enjoyed our nightly entertainment. Our local and talented musicians are loved by all of our guests!

We hope to see you on your next Cape Breton adventure.

Until then,
New Hampshire
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from July 14-15. It was amazing. The people are like family without the conflict, friends that want to make you comfortable and staff that go above what is expected in kindness. Cannot say enough of how wonderful this place was. The Middle trail right in the back yard was awesome! The location just beautiful. The staff, rival any 5 star hotel we have been in. If you head up to Northern Nova Scotia, you would be a fool not to spend time at the Keltic Lodge. The Cabot Trail is like being in Scotland! I just loved all of it. Thank you!

Room Tip: If you are going during an extremely hot time (temp 96) make sure to ask for a room that is not over...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Wow! We can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share this fantastic review with us! We’re committed to providing these one-of-a-kind experiences for all of our guests. We can assure you that we will be sharing these delightful comments with our Keltic Lodge associates.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to our property on your next Cape Breton adventure.

See you then,
Severna Park, Maryland
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I love the Keltic Lodge. It is a spectacular place--the natural setting of stunning water views atop steep clifts along with beautiful landscaping. Just walking around the grounds is relaxing as well as inspiring. The buffet breakfast at the Purple Thistle is amazing, especially the fish cakes, eggs Benedict, and blueberry pancakes. Beautiful vistas of the sea from the large dining room windows make a perfect setting. Our room in the Inn, just a short stunning walk from the Lodge, was very nice with a good view to the outside and very comfortable beds. There was also a soloist with guitar in the evening, a park ranger guided hike in the morning, and a swimming pool. I have been to the Keltic Inn twice--it is one of my favorite places.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We’re thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable stay at the Keltic Lodge. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for returning to our Cape Breton resort. We’re delighted that you enjoyed the relaxing views, delicious dining options and newly renovated accommodations!

We will be sure to share your kind words with our team. See you next summer!

Until next time,
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I should have listened to the reviews on this site! This place is a mediocre, midrate hotel masquerading as an upscale lodge, with neither the quality nor the service to match the prices. It’s perfectly adequate....for maybe $125 a night. My bill was $290, and for that I expected MUCH more.

I planned this stay as part of a mother/daughter vacation, and I was very much looking forward to spoiling my mom (and myself!) at a fancy hotel on the ocean - with those prices I expected to be pampered. When we arrived, we were immediately disappointed by the quality of the room. As other guests on this site have noted, the rooms are tired/old/generic/basic. The view is indeed nice, but the room looks like it belongs at a Super 8. Poor quality, generic furnishings (there’s no actual bed frame - just a piece of wood nailed to the wall in place of a headboard), the bathroom and room doors look like high school locker room doors, cheap towels, cheap toilet paper and tissues - it just looks like it was built and furnished in the cheapest way possible with absolutely no upgrades since then. Did not match the price.

What was even more disappointing than the room, however, was the way the manager Matthew handled our concern. I spoke to him both on the phone and in person to express our disappointment with the quality of the room, and he became defensive and his exact quote was “We offer a product. It’s a quality product, and we’re proud of it.” Period, the end. (to be fair, he did offer me a room at the main lodge, with one queen bed and no ocean view - for the same bargain price of $290. No thanks!). I’ve never had a manager essentially tell me I’m wrong, and send me away unhappy. No offer for a small discount on the room, a drink at the bar - nothing. This kid needs a lesson in customer service and has no business managing a hotel that charges these prices.

I also should mention that they will nickel and dime you - local calls cost $1/call (I have literally never had to pay for local calls at a hotel in my life), and they want you to pay $15 for the fitness room. Are you kidding me? I have never had to pay to use a fitness room at ANY hotel, much less an upscale one. And, of course, no breakfast included.

In terms of its strengths, there are a few: friendly front desk staff, great view from the room, nice hiking trail, energetic and friendly young man (Liam) to help with our bags, nice toiletries (in an otherwise crummy bathroom).

The Inn needs a renovation with an eye towards quality, and the management needs an overhaul with a focus on service. Both are sorely lacking and for nearly $300/night, a view just isn’t enough. Stay somewhere cheaper (and better!) and take the hike on the peninsula for free, and spend your money on lobster. But I’d recommend against the Keltic Lodge.

3 Thank TNLeigh
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. I’m very glad that we were able to speak to you about this one-on-one and I hope we addressed your concerns through our e-mail conversations.

Once again, I deeply apologize for not being able to address all of your concerns while on property. We look forward to having you back for a true Keltic Lodge experience.

Oakland, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Tough review here. Why? First, no place is more perfectly set. The views are perfect. Looking out at the ocean from here, taking in the great walk to Middle Head, and enjoying the dining at the Purple Thistle are great ways to spend a few days. The employees are lovely.

However, the rooms are really quite poor. We were first placed in the "Inn", a 1969 set of buildings located a small walk from the main lodge. The rooms were awful. Gorgeous views, but the windows don't open. The rooms have lovely decks, but no door or access to them. As such, the rooms are claustrophobic. We changed ...

To the cottages. Our room was dark, facing a few well hung trees. Buy one can hear EVERYTHING from the neighbors' rooms (4 rooms to a cottage). The doors slam. People smoke outside. I heard some rooms in the lodge are better, but only some.

Anyway, a tough choice. GREAT location. Great service. Nice food, and an underwhelming spa. Terrible, tired rooms.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jakklein
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We’re delighted that you enjoyed the remarkable views, hiking trails, dining experiences and friendly staff.

We appreciate receiving reviews from our guests, especially when we can improve our guests' experiences. We want to apologize for the inconveniences during your visit. We can assure you that we’ve shared your comments with our team feel free to contact me directly so we can discuss these issues in further details.

Matthew Mackenzie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingonish
Seascape Coastal Retreat
Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort
Inverary Resort
Inverary Resort
#4 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!