“Great food in ingonish”

Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Ingonish
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a large restaurant and Bakery with a large menu. We provide take-out as well as full service dining, serving everything from burgers and fries to halibut, lobster, crab, etc. almost everything is made from scratch and we take much pride in our food and service. We also have a large deck. The restaurant is new, modern and clean.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had a long day hiking on the Cabt Trail and actually were looking for a dark beer for my husband but decided to eat here. We had off the boat halibut florentine that was delicious. We also had a seafood medley in phyllo pastry that was quite good so we would recommend this place.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I wrote a review on October 22, 2012 about the very poor service we received from this restaurant on the evening of Oct. 22, 2012 which I will not get into at this point. The owner/manager did reply to the review in March, 2013 and said he was not trying to make excuses for the poor service and that he sat people after 7:00 pm which doesn't sit well with me. We actually entered the restaurant at 6:50 and the sign did say OPEN. He was fully aware of the our circumstances as I watched the girl explain it to him and I saw him shake his head NO. A customer and a resident of Ingonish who was in the restaurant told me that he was the owner. Also, a group of 4 people came in at 7:00 o'clock and they too were refused. Yes, we were there for about 10 minutes or longer "begging" for at least some French fries. So if he refused my husband and I at 6:50 pm and a 4 others around 7:00 pm, I highly doubt it that he had a change of heart and let people in after we left. If he did, I wonder what was wrong with us that he refused our patronage while the restaurant was still open???? I would also to add that I took the employees suggestion and went to the Keltic Lodge. We were first told there that we needed a reservation and that the restaurant was booked, HOWEVER, ONCE WE EXPLAINED OUR EVENTS OF THE DAY AND HOW WE WERE REFUSED AT THE MAIN STREET, THEY IMMEDIATELY SAT US. NOW THAT IS CAPE BRETON HOSPITALITY THAT WE RECEIVED AT THE KELTIC LOGDE.

3  Thank scampbell2012
WhJet, Owner at Main Street Restaurant and Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

So after replying to this review the first time I would like to apolagize again. The first review you stated that you came in at 7:00 P.M. and the second time it was 6:50 and my watch had said 7:20. I don't want to disagree or argue but as I had stated it was the very last day of the season, there were several signs posted that we were closed at 7:00 P.M. and we had already let in around 5 or 6 late tables, my staff was getting upset with me because of letting in the late tables so I had no choice but to draw the line somewhere, I am sorry for this and would really like to do something to fix this. The strange thing is that I almost always leave the sign open for 5 extra minutes after close, for late stragglers, this time it was 20 extra minutes according to my watch, but just not enough, sorry! Really the service wasn't bad, I take full responsibility for finally closing the doors.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I were told to try The Main Street Restaurant and Bakery if we were willing to wait as the service can be quite slow. I am glad we did wait, as the food was outstanding (we both had seafood pasta dishes and mine was one of my favorite meals of our trip). However, I would have understood a long wait if there were large crowds / very busy time of day. Instead it seemed like the staff was struggling just to fill water glasses (we were very thirsty having just hiked) and meet basic needs like taking orders. Although we were prepared for a long wait, I was surprised by how long it was. It felt like it was slow because we were ignored, not because they were busy with other patrons. (ps - We actually visited Aug 2011 but I had been slow to write a review)

1  Thank thurstonhawk
Reviewed December 23, 2012

After an only average but pricey meal at the Purple Thistle Dining Room at the nearby Kelty Lodge, my wife and I tried this establishment for dinner. We usually prefer to eat "with the locals" when traveling, and were pleasantly surprised by the food quality. The outside appearance belies the good food inside. I had the traditional lobster dinner which was the best one I had during our entire trip; it was about one-third the cost of the Lodge dining room. My wife ordered this restaurant's specialty seafood dish which was local catch of the day, scallop, and prawns baked in a phyllo pastry with a mild sauce. Excellent! The clientele was local (we were the only tourists in the place) - families, workmen, local couples. The service was slow as the place was full, but quite friendly and competent. This is the local bakery as well; we were too sated for dessert, but the baked goods looked delicious.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stopped on their last day of service for the season and the food was great. I had a pasta dish that was delicious. Will be back.

1  Thank w0190551