“Poor Hospitality at the Main Street Restaurant & Bakery in Ingonish, NS”

Main Street Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Ingonish
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a large restaurant and Bakery with a large menu. We provide take-out as well as full service dining, serving everything from burgers and fries to halibut, lobster, crab, etc. almost everything is made from scratch and we take much pride in our food and service. We also have a large deck. The restaurant is new, modern and clean.
New Waterford, N.S. Canada
“Poor Hospitality at the Main Street Restaurant & Bakery in Ingonish, NS”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband & I received horrible hospitality from the Main Street Restaurant & Bakery in Ingonish on Saturday evening, October 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM. The sign said OPEN and there were a few empty tables. As well, there were two tables that we noticed who still had menus & hadn't ordered their food yet. We waited at the "Wait to be Seated Sign" for about five minutes before someone approached us only to tell us that they were closed. My husband explained that the sign said OPEN but the hostess repeated that they were closed. I pointed out to her that there were two tables who still had menus but I got the same thing, we are closed. I then explained to her that we had travelled the Cabot Trail all day and hiked the Skyline Trail and were very very hungry. The hostess said that the Keltic Lodge might be open but that all other restaurants were closed for the season. I even asked for two side orders of french fries to take out and they still said no. I begged and said please, please, please just let us get some french fries. I was told NO. I was in disbelief and so were many of the customers in the restaurant. So today I posted my complaint on their facebook page and it took all of 5 minutes to have them delete it. You would think a reply would have been nice. I have heard many complaints about the service, not the food, in this place and now I experienced it firsthand. I would not recommend this place to anyone especially if you are looking for some Cape Breton hospitality.

4 Thank scampbell2012
WhJet, Owner at Main Street Restaurant and Bakery, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
First of all I would like to apologize for this incident immencely. Being the manager and owner I try and run things as professionaly as possible. This actually was our last day of the season and I had posted signs on the front door that day that we were closed at 7:00 P.M. I was cooking in the kitchen that day and had let several groups in after 7:00 The staff was even starting to get frustrated with me. You have to stop it at some point. If I would have know your predicament I would have been more than happy to have helped you. In saying this I am really not trying to make excuses and can't tell you how sorry I am. I never take for granted the great patronage our restaurant has and work extremely hard to keep the place as busy as it is. This is a great wake up call for me and I will do my best to improve service. Thanks!

• Arabic first
Burton-on-Trent
“Very good value”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The restaurant is quite basic inside, but don't be fooled. The food is exquisite. I had a dish (I think called "King of the Sea") which comprised halibut, scallops and prawns: it was absolutely delicious. The price was just right - excellent value-for-money. It was easy to miss the restaurant at night (we found) since the signboard outside wasn't lit.

• Visited October 2012
“A nice surprise on the Cabot Trail”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We stopped into this little place for lunch, expecting your run-of-the-mill sandwich or soup. We were so wrong! We ordered the seafood chowder, and decided it was the BEST we had eaten in Nova Scotia. But even better was the tea biscuit! It was fluffy, moist, and yummy! And then there were the pies. The raspberry was great, as was the strawberry rhubarb. The service was a bit slow, but we didn't mind. The food and friendly atmosphere more than made up for it! Don't miss this gem as you begin the Cabot Trail.

Halifax, Canada
“Great biscuits”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We ate here for lunch. We had the soup and also potato skins and it was all very good. Perhaps the best part was the light as a feather and yummy tea biscuits. They are worth the visit all by themselves. They were good enough that we stopped by and bought some to go before we left the area.

Vancouver, Canada
“Nice family run restaurant”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Very popular with the locals. Surprisingly extensive menu. Good food but not much in the way of atmosphere.

Visited September 2012