“Hands down, worst overnight experience ever”

Cheticamp Island Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cheticamp
Cheticamp Island Resort
Toronto, Canada
“Hands down, worst overnight experience ever”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We were forced to stay here due to last minute change in plans and we have been regretting it ever since.

My wife phoned and received a quoted (exorbitant) price and we grudingly agreed to it. When we arrived, we were somewhat appalled by the conditions. In no way was this a "resort".

We only received aproximately 5 of the 20 or so channels they advertised. We were not able to get any internet connection whatsoever (I spoke to our neighbours who had the same problem - they were told to try sitting in another chair!).

The water was not drinkable so they left us 2 small bottles of water (which we had to use to brush our teeth).

When we finally got the kids asleep in the uncomfortable beds, we sat on the couch to relax. That was when we noticed the bugs climbing up the walls and all over the furniture.

It only got worse when we decided to go to bed. There was hair and what appeared to be blood stains in one of the beds.

In the morning we encountered more bugs in tthe shower.

Unfortunately, the "best" part of this nightmare was yet to come. When we went to leave, the onsite cleaning lady got very rude with us and demanded that we pay more money! Over and above what we had agreed to. When I refused to pay the higher price, they then fraudulently added it onto my credit card and refused to give me a copy of the receipt.

When I phoned to discuss this with the manager, she was very rude. Not only would she not appologize for the awful condtions of the room, she said I should discuss it with the manager. She then hung up on me when I asked for the manager's contact info. When I called back, she refused to answer the phone.

I finally had to phone back the next day to finally get the contact info.

Now I have to deal with the Mastercard fraud division. The next call is to the Nova Scotia Better Business Bureau.

I would not recommend this "resort" to my worst enenmy , let anlone a friend.

STAY AWAY FROM THE PLACE UNLESS YOU ENJOY SPENDING HOURS ON HOLD ON THE PHONE!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Jeff B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Amherst, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Repeat booking, this year 3 nights accommodation. Lots of fresh towels daily, Away from main traffic flow and noise. Wi-Fi wouldn't work even though reported to office during the narrow time frame when anyone was there. Office staff said Internet working there but WI-Fi linkup located in one of the rented cabins and family not there to ask and staff didn't seem equipped to deal with it other than by turning the main power panel off and on. Duh! TV worked through cable box not remote and only cartoons and a French channel working when I arrived. No satellite. Boil order on the tap water so purchased drinking water offsite. Cabins ran low on water previous summer and we gave some of our bottled water to a couple next door with a baby so they could make formula until they went into the village for more. No sign of the Adirondack chairs mentioned in a review from July although two solid plastic chairs available. Beds firm, linens clean. Evidence of interior deferred maintenance by dirt in the caulking on tub surround and window interiors, as well as clear tape on a tear in the door screen. Hornet inside the kitchen and others between exterior shingles so have EPI pen nearby. Boulder breakwater blocks immediate view of the beach from the cabin/deck. Staff change from past years, but this far into the season kinks should have been worked out. The $20.00 increase in the per night rate is not reflective of any upgrade in services or amenities from my previous stays there. Definitely not above average.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sslandry

Travelers are raving about these Cheticamp hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Third yr staying here while visiting Cheticamp and surrounding area. Quiet spot off the heavy traffic area through the village. View of the ocean, beach, potential whale sightings from the cabin is over a high boulder breakwater necessary to prevent storm erosion but on clear days it is nonetheless calming. After several years there has been a change in service staff. Previously, someone was on site by 8 am until supper hour or later to handle late checkins and any issues for existing guests. This year staff were not present until after 11 am and gone by 3:15 even though some situations unresolved. Phone calls are then routed offsite. Advertised Wi-Fi could not be accessed any of the 4 days we were there, The hookup was inside one of the cabins rather than office, and by the 3rd day of our calling about no Internet service on laptop or IPhone the staffer suggested we try sitting in a different chair or use the office phone before she left. Past few years domestic water has been an ongoing issue, limited in supply, well went dry, this year there was a boil advisory because of issues with their treatment system for the cabins. Mould on interior window sill was disconcerting. Given their high season is May to October, I would have anticipated major issues could have been addressed long before now. Cheticamp village offers a cheerful, tidy spot to visit full of charm and many views for the traveller. The stores we regularly frequent have friendly, accommodating staff and many had become annual stops. My travelling companions have several more years prior usage of these cabins and we have come to the collective decision none of us will be booking here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank KayL053
Ottawa
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with my wife and 14-month daughter. We were warmly welcomed (in both French and English). The cottage had everything we needed for a long term stay: kitchen, 2-bedrooms, living room, etc. It's on the outskirts of cheticamp which is a plus if you're looking for privacy, bbq, access to a beach (short 2 minute walk), and big open skies, sunsets and views of the highlands. The adirondack chairs are a blessing after a long day on the trails! There was a lot of space for my daughter to explore and my wife and I to enjoy the view. The beach is rocky at first but turns into a sandy beach (although it was a bit too cold to swim in July). Super clean.

Small negatives: not all the channels on the cable TV worked.

Caveat: don't expect a 5-star hotel when you're in cheticamp. Enjoy the area for what it is and set your expectations accordingly.!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank simjenk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheticamp
Seascape Coastal Retreat
Soleil Chalets
Soleil Chalets
#1 of 8 in Cheticamp
Ocean View Motel & Chalets

Been to Cheticamp Island Resort? Share your experiences!