“Pleasantly surprised and left very informed.”

North Highlands Community Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Our Museum can be found in Northern Cape Breton along the Cabot Trail Nova Scotia in the "Top of the Island" Region. We have a beautiful exhibit hall that includes local artifacts along with professional displays that take you back in time while getting a taste of our local heritage. We also have a blacksmith forge, settlers' garden, and a historic Church building that has become our Culture Centre where we feature talented musicians and other events each week. Our Museum also serves as the Information Centre for the the area, so there are many great reasons to stop in and visit us!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stopped in this parking area to let my husband out so he could get on his bike and continue on the Cabot Trail. I went into this building to use the washroom, which looks like your typical older building from outside, but the inside is completely renovated....and it was a museum. I called in our friend and his daughter and we browsed around the museum's well displayed artifacts.

I am not one to go out of my way for museums, but I did like this one.
The display is small but practical. You get a very good idea of what life in these parts used to be like. The staff, who were students, were very helpful in explaining the exhibit and very friendly. That day they also had a blacksmith making metal hooks using the old blacksmith techniques. The person who had the vision to put all this together and renovate the place, did a good job!

It would probably take you about an hour max to go through it all. There was no charge, but they have a donation jar and a separate one to use the washroom. I was more than happy to give something.

NHCMuseum, Manager at North Highlands Community Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

All the way from Waterloo! Thanks for visiting "Fornur", we are very happy you enjoyed it :)

All reviews
"film"
in 2 reviews
"blacksmith"

Reviewed July 22, 2012

After riding several thousand miles to get to the Cabot Trail, we stopped here for a rest and were amazed at the detail of history inside this building. I especially enjoyed the loom exhibit since I built a similar loom and wove on it 'back in the day.' Brought back some fine memories and taught us about the region new to us. Highly recommend resting and stopping and saying hi to the folks and enjoying the history and exhibits. Also a great spot to rest the motorcycles.

Greg from Rensselaerville, NY, USA

Greg S, thanks so much for stopping in! We have tons of motorcycles dropping by every season, and invite more to do so. Thanks again for not only stopping in but taking the time to write a review
Deidre

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Located at a convenient location at the bottom of the Cabot Trail in Cape North, the museum offers a full exposure to what life is like in Cape Breton - past & present.

"Mystecete" we are very pleased you enjoyed your time while at the Museum. We had a beautiful summer, hope you we able to take in many enriching activities while on the Cabot Trail!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I love museums with old things - I like to imagine the items in use and the people who used them