“Worth the wait”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Frederick, Maryland
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I know that other reviewers have noted the slow service, and we had the same experience. However, the slowness in no way diminished our enjoyment of the tasty subs (the steak-and-cheese is really quite good) or the chatty locals dining around us. Here in Baddeck you are expecting McDonalds? I think not, and thankful for it.

Ottawa, Canada
“Stay Away”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The staff is rude including the owner, and the food is over priced for the taste. Stay away from this place. The bathroom is not super clean, and I think someone might have put something in my food which should not have been there. The owner would plunge a knife in your back if he thought he could get away with it.

3 Thank Charles W
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Terrific food and good prices.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Chef's Salad & vegetarian chili are good choices. The service was very good and we would love to go back.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Liked it so much, we circled Cabot Trail and came back”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We accidentally found The Yello Cello Cafe when we made a wrong turn into Baddeck while traveling the east to west route along the Cabot Trail.

Accidental finds, I think, are often the best.

The cafe' is located on the slope of a hillside overlooking the marina on Lake Bra d'Or. The nearby buildings are interesting to look at, and the conversations we overheard (unintentionally, of course) were interesting as well. The outdoor seating area is small, but worth waiting on if the weather is warm enough.

We learned in Baddeck that my wife and I are weather-wusses. Locals probably would eat outside when it is 40 degrees f, while we think it is cold at 75 f. Can't help it, since we are Southerners and not used to colder climates.

The service was the only drawback. The cafe' was very crowded at dinnertime, but with an interesting mix of locals and tourists, and the wait staff was a little overwhelmed. But they were friendly and helpful, and appeared to be genuinely mortified at the slow service. When we returned several days later for breakfast, service was much, much faster.

Food was excellent. My wife and I were sort of "fished-out" by this meal, as we'd had fish at every night meal for our first six days in Canada. The omelet was excellent at breakfast, and the pasta we had for dinner was very tasty.

The beer was very good. Apparently, we can't get Alexander _____ Beer here in Atlanta. Pity.

On the "Romance" front: Me, being Male, didn't think it was very romantic. It was a little noisy due to the crowds and their conversation, and the traffic going by on the frontage road was fairly loud as well. But my wife, who is not Male, thought otherwise. I've been married long enough to know if she says it is a romantic location, then it must be so. So i give it a "Five" on Romance.

There are sailboats and motor yachts on the Lake that you can watch. There is a cool lighthouse out in the Lake. Alexander Graham Bell's house is just down the road, as is his museum. I'm curious- did Bell live here in the winter? The locals tell us how much snowfall they get,and I wonder if he went south.

Woody.

• Visited August 2012
Pencaitland, Scotland
“Busy”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Lovely place to eat especially after a walk down the pier, this is a very busy cafe but you don't have to wait too long as the staff are very well organised

Visited October 2012