“good but not that $ good”

McCurdy's Dining Room
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Baddeck
Dining options: Reservations
Description: McCurdy's Dining room is open from Mid May to Mid October for breakfast and dinner. Our a-la-carte menu is always available, and our popular breakfast buffet is featured most mornings from mid July through September. It features a wide selection of delicious breakfast items including eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast, fresh fruit, yogurts, and much more! Join us for dinner in McCurdy's Dining Room while enjoying one of the best views in Cape Breton. McCurdy's evening menu features fresh and local ingredients from the land and the sea. Whether you're getting on the road early and need a breakfast-on-the-run or you'll be exploring our beautiful Island, picnic meals are available with advance notice. Please inquire at the front desk, and we'll be happy to pack a picnic for you.
delta,BC
“good but not that $ good”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

food was quite good, service was fine but it is overpriced and not a place I would hurry back to. The staff were very helpful.

Visited September 2012

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“Ok, but the best part was the view”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I almost never eat dinner in hotel restaurants but it was pouring rain so my wife and I decided to just eat at the lodge we were staying at - McCurdy's, the name given to the dining room in the Silver Dart Lodge. My wife and I were greeted and seated promptly by a smiling and friendly waitress (Mari). The view of Baddeck Harbour was outstanding. We found the menu selections to be varied but not necessarily creative and settled on fresh Atlantic salmon (what else?) and seafood primavera. Both were ample portions, priced what I would expect for basically a resort town ($20 and $24), served quickly and hot, tasted good, but nothing special. The wine and beer selections were appropriate but not extensive (no Pinot Noir to go with the salmon). We finished the meal on a bad note with a piece of dry, slightly burnt, home made carrot cake. This was ok food in a non-descript dining room but with a great view. This place could really be something with more focus on the the food and internal ambiance.

• Visited September 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A great view, but. . .”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

While staying at the Silver Dart, we decided to eat at the restaurant. It does have a great view, but . . . Our first evening, we were encouraged by staff to make dinner reservations later than we hoped in order to ensure a table right by the windows to maximize our view. However, when we arrived, the table was not ready, so after some discussion among the staff, we were offered a non window table. Alas, when a window table became available, we weren't given the option to move, and frankly, I was too tired and cranky by that point to push the issue. One of the mornings during our multiple-night stay, we chose the restaurant for breakfast. This was a weekday, and the dining room was moderately busy - yet for a long time we only saw the supervisor working, where were the rest of the servers? There were some folks who had obviously been seated for a long time, who were still waiting for their server. Eventually, a couple of servers showed up. Other than the supervisor who appeared to be doing 4 different jobs, I can't characterize the other servers as having any sense of urgency. Sure, they're seasonal workers, but they are desperately in need of training, because the level of service we experienced during our two visits to McCurdy's was inexcusable for the middle of the high season - especially in light of the above-average prices attached to McCurdy's average menu options. Dinner is perfectly utilitarian if you don't want to leave the hotel property to park downtown/wait in line at another Baddeck restaurant, but I'd recommend skipping the McCurdy's breakfast entirely and stop at Tim's on your way to your day's activity. You'll have more time and and a lot more money left in your pocketbook for a lunch treat later on.

Toronto
“Standard Fare with a Smile”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The restaurant on a Sunday for brunch was overwhelmed by the number of visitors. The wait for breakfast was a tad long but the food was decent and was served with a smile. The room could use some open windows, as the heat from the morning sun was intense. For evening, after a long day of driving the Cabot Trail, the restaurant sent room service Oysters and excellent seafood meals. Again though, the wait for the food would have made less patient people a touch angry. As a Travel Consultant, I can recommend the restaurant for its food, but I would prompt the Management to get on top of their kitchen delays as soon as possible in order to maintain a consistently high approval rating and return clientele.

Ottawa
“A real gem in a perfect setting”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am completely mystified by the negative reviews of this property. This is the second time I have visited Baddeck, and the fifth time I have visited the restaurant. All have been outstanding. The best I can surmise is that people arrive in Baddeck with unrealistic expectations of what it is, or are perhaps put off by (or are part of) the numerous bus tour groups that come from the USA. Baddeck is certainly not New York City, and is not a commercial place where you will find franchise hotels and restaurants. It is a very quaint and scenic spot on the shore of the Bras D'or Lakes, which this establishment has a commanding view of.

This restaurant aims to be a fine dining room, and in most respects succeeds at this admirably, particularly given the rustic setting / area. The staff are young seasonal workers from the area that are very friendly and are obviously well trained as they make you feel very welcome by way of a structured customer service approach and their own natural amicability.

That aside, the most important part for me in any restaurant is the food, and in this respect they excel. The head chef here is a true talent, and makes all of the dishes that we tried here shine. The soups are homemade and delicious, the cesar salad is excellent, the chicken supreme is exactly that, the steak was above average, and the mashed potatoes truly outstanding. My wife had the buffet one night (a new addition as far as we can tell this year) and found it to be of very good quality for a mass produced lineup, with the seafood medley being a standout. Breakfast was equally delicious.

The menu is not overly expansive, but is certainly sufficient. The wine list is very good, and I have to give it credit for turning us on to some very good local vineyards. The house wine is a Jost blend that would stand toe to toe with wines three times the price. It actually led to us visiting the Jost vineyard which was an equally memorable experience.

The element that pushes this property over the top is certainly the view, which is well documented in other reviews. The pleasure of being able to spend time with family in such a lovely setting while enjoying fine food and drink is second to none.

The only knock I could find on this property was the pricing, which is more in line with a big city restaurant, however, it is not so far out of line that I can deduct a point.

We love McCurdy's and will certainly be back again.