“A real gem in a perfect setting”

McCurdy's Dining Room
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Baddeck
Dining options: Reservations
Description: McCurdy's Dining room is open from Mid May to Mid October for breakfast and dinner. Our a-la-carte menu is always available, and our popular breakfast buffet is featured most mornings from mid July through September. It features a wide selection of delicious breakfast items including eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast, fresh fruit, yogurts, and much more! Join us for dinner in McCurdy's Dining Room while enjoying one of the best views in Cape Breton. McCurdy's evening menu features fresh and local ingredients from the land and the sea. Whether you're getting on the road early and need a breakfast-on-the-run or you'll be exploring our beautiful Island, picnic meals are available with advance notice. Please inquire at the front desk, and we'll be happy to pack a picnic for you.
Ottawa
“A real gem in a perfect setting”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am completely mystified by the negative reviews of this property. This is the second time I have visited Baddeck, and the fifth time I have visited the restaurant. All have been outstanding. The best I can surmise is that people arrive in Baddeck with unrealistic expectations of what it is, or are perhaps put off by (or are part of) the numerous bus tour groups that come from the USA. Baddeck is certainly not New York City, and is not a commercial place where you will find franchise hotels and restaurants. It is a very quaint and scenic spot on the shore of the Bras D'or Lakes, which this establishment has a commanding view of.

This restaurant aims to be a fine dining room, and in most respects succeeds at this admirably, particularly given the rustic setting / area. The staff are young seasonal workers from the area that are very friendly and are obviously well trained as they make you feel very welcome by way of a structured customer service approach and their own natural amicability.

That aside, the most important part for me in any restaurant is the food, and in this respect they excel. The head chef here is a true talent, and makes all of the dishes that we tried here shine. The soups are homemade and delicious, the cesar salad is excellent, the chicken supreme is exactly that, the steak was above average, and the mashed potatoes truly outstanding. My wife had the buffet one night (a new addition as far as we can tell this year) and found it to be of very good quality for a mass produced lineup, with the seafood medley being a standout. Breakfast was equally delicious.

The menu is not overly expansive, but is certainly sufficient. The wine list is very good, and I have to give it credit for turning us on to some very good local vineyards. The house wine is a Jost blend that would stand toe to toe with wines three times the price. It actually led to us visiting the Jost vineyard which was an equally memorable experience.

The element that pushes this property over the top is certainly the view, which is well documented in other reviews. The pleasure of being able to spend time with family in such a lovely setting while enjoying fine food and drink is second to none.

The only knock I could find on this property was the pricing, which is more in line with a big city restaurant, however, it is not so far out of line that I can deduct a point.

We love McCurdy's and will certainly be back again.

• Visited August 2012

Summerfield, Florida
“Great view!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at the Silver Dart Lodge and ate here out of convenience. My salmon was well prepared and tasty. My husband was less pleased with the seasoning of his seafood dish. But overall, the ambience and service were superb.

Visited August 2012
Dartmouth, Canada
“good...”
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

SFour of us stayed the night at the lodge. In the morning we headed down to the restaurant. It was packed and i felt awful for the wait staff. It`s a Sunday morning management! schedule an extra server! Our waitress was doing her very best best but at some point it out of your control. Nearing the middle of our dining experience i see what i assume to be management clearing a few tables... get your hussle on, hungry waiting customers are not happy customers! When the food came it was good and hot, thank you goes out to our waitress.

Whitby, Canada
“Really good spot to eat!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

WE were told about this through our niece and her man who accompanied us for supper on our last night in Baddeck, What a gem. The meal was fantastic ,overlooks the Bras d,or Lake area. and you can see Alexander G. Bells home from the deck. I had haddock stuffed with lobster stuffing and it was amazing. Our waitress Kelly was just a doll and on finding our of my niece's birthday being next day surprised us with a scrumptious chocolate cheese cake and candle on top so we could sing . She definetly went above the call and we so appreciated it , Thanks Kelly you rock!!!!!

Visited July 2012
Denise M, General Manager at McCurdy's Dining Room, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Well it was so nice to see how much you enjoyed McCurdy's Dining Room and the service. I've passed along your wonderful comments to Kelly - she was very happy to see you were pleased with your dining experience. Thank you so much for writing and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Baddeck.
Toronto
“So-So”
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Nice view! The service was friendly but not very professional. The food was just ok. The desserts were nothing like they are described on the menu. Price was up there though. Service at breakfast was friendly and attentive, but unfortunately the buffet was mundane.

, General Manager at McCurdy's Dining Room, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
It is a wonderful day in Baddeck and I wanted to take the time to thank you for your comments about McCurdy's Dining Room at Silver Dart Lodge. I do appreciate your comments and wish to apologize that your experience did not meet with our usual high standards.

I have taken your review about service professionalism and our food products very seriously and will be working with the staff to ensure we improve upon our products and services for future guests.

Please contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you. I hope you are enjoying your summer!