“Beautiful Cottages”

McIntyre's Cottages & Cameron House
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Cottages”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I am writing a late review as my family stayed here July 2013.
I stayed in Cottage #5 during my 7-day stay at the McIntyre Cottages. This cottage was able to accommodate 5 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 child)+ a dog

Location-
The cottages are located right off of Highway 105, on top of a hill, overlooking the beautiful Bras d'Or Lake. You cannot hear the highway whatsoever. The only downfall is the fact that you must cross the highway in order to get to the water. Tim Hortons is a 2 minute drive away or 5 minute walk. The town of Baddeck is only a 10 minute drive.

Cottages- The cottage that I stayed in was extremely cozy and clean. Everything is provided for you, (even board games and a bbq,) the only thing you must bring yourself is food or food delivery numbers are left in your cottage. The kids loved the fact that their was wireless internet. The porch was an ideal place to hang out because of the view. Cottage #5 has 2 rooms but the pullout coach was big enough for 2 adults.

Service- The cleaning ladies were all very friendly and were excellent at their jobs!

Note: If you visit in the summer and plan to be outside, bug repellent is a must.

Overall, I would not hesitate to plan a trip to these lovely cottages again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashleemac

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights with our three children (all under 10). Our cottage was awesome. It had everything we needed and plenty of space for all 5 of us. The kids loved the playground. I loved being able to look out at such a gorgeous view. The setting was just magic. We were really impressed that the lady who checked us in remember all the kids' names when we were leaving. It was also the first cottage/house/apartment that we have stayed in that promoted composting (not just recycling). Love it - wish more places would follow this lead!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I decided to have a night out while my parents babysat our 11 week old son. We wanted something picturesque, quiet, and clean. McIntyre's cottage was absolutely perfect! We picked up some beer at the local Big Spruce Brewery, and ordered pizza to be delivered to our cottage. We sat out on the patio and enjoyed the breathtaking scenery and had a fantastic sleep! The cabin was sparkling clean and the hospitality was tremendous. We will definitely return:)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
glace bay
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was a nice getaway for my husband and I ..clean and well kept,nice view from the private patio deck..comfy fireplace and everything you need to cook up a little something..nice and private and quiet even though its close to all restaurants and stores

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed in cottage #4 on the first night of our honeymoon; it was quite lovely and comfortable, and we enjoyed the fireplace in the evening when it cooled off! We got to play with a local cat, and the view looking out on the lake is magnificent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We paid 172.50$ per night for a three nights stay, everything included. (One bedroom for 2 people with our pups)
Cottage was clean but left a lot to be desired.
I notice almost all reviews here are based on stays in the newer cottages #7 and 8. Ours was an cottage, #4.
I can't complain about the cottage being outdated as this didnt effect our stay and there has been some attempts made at keeping it modern.
Pros: beautiful view, location, pets allowed, clean, most necessities provided.
Cons: duplex style cottages (website leads you to believe you are booking whole cottage), old and uncomfortable bed, sink actually falling off its footing, very small space in cottage (even for 2), two seater couch in living room only, freezer door falling off rusty hinges, toaster broken (finally worked after repeatedly "slamming down lever" as sign suggests we do. Lol), only one firepit available for all units in common area, no place for dog waste, no BBQ with unit as advertised.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Kalandj
futures1, Owner at McIntyre's Cottages & Cameron House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am so sorry that your stay at McIntyre's Cottages was less than ideal. I wish you had said something while you were here. We could have addressed at least some of your concerns.
I looked at our website and you are right. No where does it say that the cottages are in duplex buildings. I thought that from the front view of the cottages on the cottage page it is obvious that the buildings are duplexes but we need to make it clearer.
There is a barbecue for every building (every two cottages) and it just gets moved back and forth through the privacy door on the deck. Because we stay open year round, it doesn't make sense to have 8 barbecues deteriorating in the Cape Breton winters when 4 available works well. We would store them but we find that people bbq in all kinds of weather.
We dispose of bagged pet waste when we make our daily housekeeping rounds.
We take our reviews very seriously. After reading your review, we have put a note on the door that says "if you need anything, please ask", (for those guests who get to move in without registering if the office is unmanned), we have changed the toaster, and have created a station where guests can leave their pet waste. We will put a new mattress in in the spring, but are almost reluctant to because others have said what a great sleep they had.
London, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've now stayed at McIntyre's 2 different times. My first stay was for 3 nights in cottage #7. Simply put this cottage was beautiful. Verne, the lovely and very welcoming owner told me that cottages 7 and 8 were the newest ones. Wonderfully appointed units, both, as I stayed in unit # 8 the following wk. for 7 nights, leaving Monday the 29th of July.
Both units were very appealing with lovely views from your front deck......unit 8 having the longer, wrap around deck.
The beds were super comfortable, proof positive b/c in my longer stay the staff jokingly called me the sleeper b/c I would sleep in 'til at least 11am or later most days. I've been on the road travelling now for over a month and this place by far earns top marks in every area.
The barbeque came in handy more than a few nights and each unit comes with enough dishes, cutlery et al, to cover any cooking need.
The only issue I had, a very, very tiny one is that b/c Units 7 and 8 are raised off the ground the sound of walking is more accentuated in these 2 units. It did not bother me in my longer stay but the couple next to me during my 1st stay in unit 7 were very heavy walkers. Didn't really bother me but it may to some.
The staff earn five stars across the board, most especially Verne for not just her friendly yet professional demeanor but always making sure you had everything you needed, including firewood, kindling, and newspaper to get my almost nightly fires going in their charming fire pit area.
The views are incredible from their wonderful property and if you do stay a few days you'll probably meet their charming and very docile cats(2).
I would not hesitate to recommend very highly this gem of a spot to any and everyone.

Room Tip: Both cottage 7 and 8 have the best views b/c they do sit quite a bit higher than the others...