“Nice place”

McIntyre's Cottages & Cameron House
glace bay
“Nice place”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was a nice getaway for my husband and I ..clean and well kept,nice view from the private patio deck..comfy fireplace and everything you need to cook up a little something..nice and private and quiet even though its close to all restaurants and stores

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed in cottage #4 on the first night of our honeymoon; it was quite lovely and comfortable, and we enjoyed the fireplace in the evening when it cooled off! We got to play with a local cat, and the view looking out on the lake is magnificent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We paid 172.50$ per night for a three nights stay, everything included. (One bedroom for 2 people with our pups)
Cottage was clean but left a lot to be desired.
I notice almost all reviews here are based on stays in the newer cottages #7 and 8. Ours was an cottage, #4.
I can't complain about the cottage being outdated as this didnt effect our stay and there has been some attempts made at keeping it modern.
Pros: beautiful view, location, pets allowed, clean, most necessities provided.
Cons: duplex style cottages (website leads you to believe you are booking whole cottage), old and uncomfortable bed, sink actually falling off its footing, very small space in cottage (even for 2), two seater couch in living room only, freezer door falling off rusty hinges, toaster broken (finally worked after repeatedly "slamming down lever" as sign suggests we do. Lol), only one firepit available for all units in common area, no place for dog waste, no BBQ with unit as advertised.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Kalandj
futures1, Owner at McIntyre's Cottages & Cameron House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am so sorry that your stay at McIntyre's Cottages was less than ideal. I wish you had said something while you were here. We could have addressed at least some of your concerns.
I looked at our website and you are right. No where does it say that the cottages are in duplex buildings. I thought that from the front view of the cottages on the cottage page it is obvious that the buildings are duplexes but we need to make it clearer.
There is a barbecue for every building (every two cottages) and it just gets moved back and forth through the privacy door on the deck. Because we stay open year round, it doesn't make sense to have 8 barbecues deteriorating in the Cape Breton winters when 4 available works well. We would store them but we find that people bbq in all kinds of weather.
We dispose of bagged pet waste when we make our daily housekeeping rounds.
We take our reviews very seriously. After reading your review, we have put a note on the door that says "if you need anything, please ask", (for those guests who get to move in without registering if the office is unmanned), we have changed the toaster, and have created a station where guests can leave their pet waste. We will put a new mattress in in the spring, but are almost reluctant to because others have said what a great sleep they had.
London, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've now stayed at McIntyre's 2 different times. My first stay was for 3 nights in cottage #7. Simply put this cottage was beautiful. Verne, the lovely and very welcoming owner told me that cottages 7 and 8 were the newest ones. Wonderfully appointed units, both, as I stayed in unit # 8 the following wk. for 7 nights, leaving Monday the 29th of July.
Both units were very appealing with lovely views from your front deck......unit 8 having the longer, wrap around deck.
The beds were super comfortable, proof positive b/c in my longer stay the staff jokingly called me the sleeper b/c I would sleep in 'til at least 11am or later most days. I've been on the road travelling now for over a month and this place by far earns top marks in every area.
The barbeque came in handy more than a few nights and each unit comes with enough dishes, cutlery et al, to cover any cooking need.
The only issue I had, a very, very tiny one is that b/c Units 7 and 8 are raised off the ground the sound of walking is more accentuated in these 2 units. It did not bother me in my longer stay but the couple next to me during my 1st stay in unit 7 were very heavy walkers. Didn't really bother me but it may to some.
The staff earn five stars across the board, most especially Verne for not just her friendly yet professional demeanor but always making sure you had everything you needed, including firewood, kindling, and newspaper to get my almost nightly fires going in their charming fire pit area.
The views are incredible from their wonderful property and if you do stay a few days you'll probably meet their charming and very docile cats(2).
I would not hesitate to recommend very highly this gem of a spot to any and everyone.

Room Tip: Both cottage 7 and 8 have the best views b/c they do sit quite a bit higher than the others...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hatthead2011
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the nicest places we have stayed at in the maritimes. A beautiful house overlooking the lake. It had everything you need to enjoy your stay along with a breathtaking view from the deck. I would highly recommend this to anyone. The hosts were very gracious and accommodative.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Launersontour
Kentville, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I visited McIntyre Cottages with my brother in May for two nights. The location was just what we were looking for...a great view of the water and close proximity to eating establishments in Baddeck . A hearty two for one breakfast special down the road at the Cabot Trail Motor Inn...great for two men batching it. The cottage itself had very comfortable rooms with new beds and an electric fireplace which afforded welcomed warmth on our still chilly evenings. I must comment that although the kitchen area is small it is well equipped and serves the purpose amply should one want to cook. A nice covered deck and picnic table outside the cottage...an ideal spot for viewing the scenery. Very clean...friendly ...scenic and a great place to stay. We would return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 470JimB470
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Definitely the best view, and a great location! The cottages are in pristine condition, we stayed in cottage 7 which was renovated in the past couple years. The fixtures and the furniture were all in beautiful shape, the fireplace was an added bonus as well! some of the pictures do not do these cottages justice. We loved the view, the quiet, and the coziness. Baddeck is a nice little town, we were there the weekend of the Cabot Trail relay and a lot of local places were booked even though the season hadn't started yet. We go so lucky with this place, and would definitely stay again!
If you stay here and you like beer, go by the Big Spruce brewery which is right down the road. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple