“Wonderful Day on the River”
Review of North River Kayak

North River Kayak
Ranked #2 of 8 Tours in Baddeck
More attraction details
Owner description: NRKT is situated on the Murray Rd. in North River, Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia, Canada. North River Kayak Tours property is located just steps away from our launch site where we paddle anywhere from 3 hours to 5 days along the coastline of Cape Breton Island. See why we are listed within Trip Advisors top 10% receiving their Certificate of excellence in 2013.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I booked our tour well in advance and, as the day approached the weather looked overcast and I considered cancelling our trip. I am so glad I did not. It was one of the best experiences of our 10 day trip in Canada. My husband and I did a tandem tour with Angelo who hit the right balance of guide and information while still lagging behind at times to give us time on the river alone. We saw many bald eagles and other birds. The winds were calm the day we kayaked and during our 3 hour tour we easily made it to the waterfall where we ate delicious banana bread and drank tea. (My husband claims it was the best baked good we had on our trip, I thought second best.) Angelo is a Cape Breton native whose house you can see from the river. He also played some fun harmonica music for us! Be advised, this is in North River, although the mailing address is Baddeck. I would recommend the half day tour to anyone. (Note to reader: We actually traveled August 2011 but I was slow to write a review.)

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The weather was beautiful and the river was calm. We stopped and had tea and banana bread which made for a great time to stretch our legs. We had a great time with Emily. We enjoyed the time on the water.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stopped by here by accident while travelling through the area. We saw the sign and said why not. There was no one there but we did see a prominent sign noting the tour schedule for the day. We only had to wait for one hour before the next tour. We toured for about 3 hours along the shoreline on St. Anne's Bay in Cape Breton. Angelo, our guide spoke of the birdlife, and brief history of the area. We also saw a lovely waterfall during a stopover which Angela provided a sample of his wonderful home-made Chai tea and banana bread.

Kayaks and safety vests are included in the tour. The terrain is uneven and could pose difficulites for those who have mobility issues.

During our excursion back to base camp, Angelo humbling showed off by standing in his kayak while allowing his large kite to guide him back to base camp (noting he said not to try this ourselves - he had been practising for months).

Angelo is also an accomplished guitarist and harmonica player - ask him for a serenade - he will gladly play.

However, good or bad, there is a dog on site. His name is Django and very loveable. Just a note as some people don't care for dogs but Django is used to people and does not ask for attention unless it is offered.

Also, remember that weather and water conditions will dictate how you will enjoy your tour. If it is windy and you have limited upper body strength you won't enjoy it as much as a still - summer day so let common sense be your guide.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Justin and Emily were great guides, the kayaks were well maintained, it was a beautiful day in August 2012. We saw 3 eagles, an eaglet and great blue herons as well as kingfishers. We did the 1/2 day tour - just long enough. You will be very happy with the whole experience.

1  Thank cyloker
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I did a tadem kayak tour with Angelo, and it was one of the highlights of our Cabot Trail trip. Although, it is probably best to pair yourself with others of similar age and/or fitness levels, ocean kayaking is nothing to fear and gives you access to parts of the river you wouldn't otherwise be able to see. Angelo is an excellent teacher and has many interesting stories about the area. Don't miss this great experience.