“Mildly disappointed.”
Review of Broadwater Inn

Broadwater Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Baddeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We visited Broadwater Inn this past weekend. We chose this Inn because it had a two bedroom verandah suite which we felt would work well to accommodate my husband and I and my daughter and son-in-law. The verandah itself was very charming with a wonderful view of the lake. The suite itself was spacious, functional and clean. It completely lacked any charm probably due to the lack of any sort of decorating. It was a vanilla white box which provided functional accommodations but was disappointing as we enjoy the more quaint "inn" experience. I only met John the innkeeper when checking out. He referred to my "weird" diet which he recalled from my query of whether or not he could accommodate a gluten free breakfast for my husband and I as we are both severe Celiacs. He had told us there was no breakfast included with the verandah accommodations but subsequently we read reviews from guests who referred to the verandah suite and complimented him on the breakfast. My guess is this is probably not the place for you if you require gluten free or if you are looking for more character in your accommodations!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DESnavely
CapeBretonMusic, Owner at Broadwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Well I assume some Cape Breton humor was misinterpreted. At check out the reviewer disclosed she was a manager at the most popular organic grocer in this province. Her and I discussed how folks seem to have some "weird" allergies these days. (Thus making her business busy, not poking at the illness). I can`t have fresh flowers in the rooms anymore nor peanut butter on the property are among the simplest. My kids can`t be near a cat nor carpet. There is no conspiracy against folks with allergies here. However, the fact that someone would book a globally advertised self-contained suite, "non B&B", and not plan on bringing substance to support being "severe Celiacs" is "weird" ......

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed in Cabin #1 at the Broadwater for 3 nights so we could explore sites around Baddeck as well as the Cabot trail and Louisbourg. The cabin was large, had a nice little kitchen and lounge area, provided a lovely view of the water, and the stars were great from the patio. The town of Baddeck is just 1 mile away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Spent a few days this summer at the Broadwater Inn. Everything we experienced exceeded our expectations, including the food, the room, the town, the company, the conversation. Innkeeper John was an excellent host--informative and entertaining. He made many helpful suggestions about places to go and things to do. The Inn is full of interesting artifacts relating to the history of Cape Breton and John is knowledgeable about the area's history and able to tell many interesting stories. He also facilitates conversation among his guests which enriched the experience. Baddeck is a great centralized location for exploring Cape Breton, or just hanging out. Linda & Dave Falkiewicz

Room Tip: East room had a lovely private porch with views of water.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave and Linda F
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We recently had a wonderful trip to Nova Soctia where we stayed 2 nights at Broadwater Inn.
John is a great host-- a good cook--most helpful area comments. The Inn was a pleasure with
a most convenient location for our day trips. Overall a very good experience.
JEC
Philadelphia, PA

Room Tip: wide variety--go online
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank james c
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Utterly Charming and exceptionally comfortable!
I was so enthralled with my room that I begged the husband to cancel the hike so that I could Languish in the beauty. he said no, alas.
And the history is spellbinding. Breakfast was a vast array of eggs, meat, bagels , banana bread, yogurt, fresh fruit and good strong coffee.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Denise F
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We loved our stay here. John the innkeeper is a riot. He has so many interesting stories about the area and the people and lots of good advice of where to go. The breakfasts were very nice. He makes great Eggs Benedict. Also he was the only one of the 4 B&B's we stayed in during our trip who made decaf coffee in the morning for me. We had the East room which had a very nice deck and also nice to have a private entrance. The first night we asked for some ice and when we got back from dinner there was a cooler with ice on the table in the room for us.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank claudia m
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in the inn for 7 nights this month while vacationing in Nova Scotia. It is a beautiful inn in a lovely town. Our room was very nicely furnished, had a private entrance, a private balcony overlooking the lake, and lake view from the room too. The owner is a gracious and engaging person, breakfast is great, and the people we met there were extremely nice. This is an excellent base for touring Cape Breton Island and enjoying the restaurants and harbor life of Baddeck. Both my husband and I loved the place and hope we will have the opportunity to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple