The people are kind and the check in is friendly, efficient and professional with a down home comfort...all good. The rooms are as described which is, for all intents and purposes, pretty dated, though clean and amble, comfortable.
For us, where everything fell apart was the restaurant. Oh my...where to begin.
Clearly our waitress was the least experienced. The restaurant was not busy at the time of our dining, but they were expecting a large group or two later. So, perhaps they were distracted.
There will be a few things I note which I would comfortably overlook if the 'big ticket' issues did not exist. But compounded, should be mentioned.
Our waitress approached not noting, what we heard from other waitresses, were the specials. We regretted that as they sounded quite nice. We asked about some of the main course menu items and she was clearly winging many replies, which we let slide accept at the time of ordering, when we emphasized our questions and order expectations.
Hyperbole seems to rule their menu. The risotto based dish was served without risotto and replaced with noodles. Our waitress was unable to explain which is a little off, but worse, was unable to make the decision to return it to the kitchen or at least inquire as to the reason. We nudged her in the right direction and she came back quite late offering to replace it.
As they should. My wife decided to finish it off since she had made some in-grounds and the taste was quite decent.
Their menu notes that the salmon is a " generous center cut ". . My son and I both ordered it. My son's serving was demolished while eating at only a moderate pace, within 2 minutes. Mine was equally puny, and was , oddly unlike my son's, terribly undercooked.
I love salmon and wanted to savour it, so asked that they handle it. Because this restaurant emphasizes their " European trained : head chef, one might expect a little more than a micro waved heated returned portion. Completely dried, intensely hot ( heat was not my issue ) and the sauce curdled !
They did not remove the sauce and apply some fresh sauce after the unfortunate micro waving. Really weak.
A few other issues entertained us...sort of, until desert time. My son anted vanilla ice cream. Turned out to be a complicated request for our original server. A second and then a third server came over to explain that they had no chocolate sauce for the ice cream even though that was never a request.
Somehow, someway, the single scoop bowl of ice cream became an issue of conversation and debate, not in the kitchen, but next to the bar area. They did manage to figure it out and eventually brought that to my son.
My desert was nice. As described.
So, part of the problem was in training. But a much larger part of the problem was in food preparation and quality.
Likable people, but we won't return to the restaurant at least. The other aspects of the Inn were adequate. I'd be more complimentary but for...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only 4* accommodation in Baddeck overlooking the Bras d’Or Lakes and walking distance to most attractions. Offering the perfect blend of "home away from home" with comfort and convenience, personalized service over 30 years. 78 deluxe air-conditioned rooms, coffee machines, laundromat on property, elevator, complimentary parking, wireless, complimentary guest computer and morning newspapers. Award winning licensed dining room with friendly table service. Open mid May to mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Auberge Gisele's Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auberge Gisele`s Country Hotel Baddeck
- Auberge Gisele's Country Inn Baddeck, Nova Scotia - Cape Breton Island