“Hard beds.”
Review of Lynwood Inn

Lynwood Inn
Ranked #9 of 17 Baddeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

I'm reluctant to write this review because everything else about our stay was just great. The fact is, however, that I spent a sleepless night due to the hard beds in this hotel. My husband, who can literally sleep anywhere, had no problem at all but my back played up something awful. The sheets were scratchy and not up to hotel standards either (which you have lots of time to notice when you're unable to sleep). On the positive side the room was large, modern and very clean (though I agree with other reviewers that they could lose those odd doll and fake flower decorations). The restaurant staff were pleasant and efficient, dinner was awesome - we had the lobster special - and I don't think i've ever had anything better than the gingerbread dessert. Baddeck is a charming town and we very much enjoyed our evening walk along the waterfront.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 23, 2012

After travelling all day we were tired and looking forward to crawling into our bed. However, it
was a terrible bed very very hard. I could hardly wait for sunrise to get out of the bed. These rooms are small bedding is tired and in need of a change. The bathrooms are large and bright with a jetted tub which was a surprise.

There is no one to help with your luggage and you have to either carry it over the gravel pathway or try and pull through the gravel. Also it should be noted there is no elevator in the hotel and even though it is only a two storey it is difficult as senior citizens to bring your bags from the car along the pathway and up the stairs to your room. I know it is nice to see antiques in hôtels but they do need to be in good repair.

We did not eat here but the menu did look good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seven7up
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Enjoyed a good meal on the verandah of this old house in the middle of Baddeck. The fish soup was excellent as was the fish of the day. The best baked potato I have ever eaten!!!!! The service at the table was very good (although the young man working as maître d' didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing). The wait to pay however was long and awkward as we had to wait behind someone who was actually booking into the Inn. A better system is definitely needed for the restaurant clientele.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stopped here because we thought it would be a nice hotel for the night on our way through Cape Breton. It's located right in the downtown of Beddeck and within walking distance of the wharf and Alexander Graham Bell Museum. The office and restaurant are in a very old house that has been very well kept and is very beautiful inside. The rooms however, for the economy room, are something to be desired for a tourist location. The rooms are quite small, but the bathroom is a good size. The furniture is rustic in appearance and adds a nice touch. The beds are the old box spring/spring mattress type and are very firm and not comfortable. The sheets were also kind of scratchy. The room didn't come with some basics either like a hair dryer. The TV was missing lots of channels that the Inn says should be available. The Wi-Fi has a very poor signal and was almost useless in the basement suite. The one thing that was really disappointing was the water. Now, I don't know if this is a problem with all the water in the town, but the water at this place was beyond repulsive. I couldn't actually bring myself to take even a sip of the tap water. I had to get some ice and wait for it to melt in order to enjoy some water. However I will note that this is probably the cleanest hotel I've ever seen, period. The rooms and bathroom literally sparkled. Unfortunately though, I felt that I didn't get any value for my money in the end, especially during the non-peak tourist season.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above ground for a nice view and maybe better Wi-fi performance.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We've just returned from a Nova Scotia road-trip. It was our ambition to experience Nova Scotia in its entirety. Our trip: Halifax --> Peggy's Cove --> Mahone Bay --> Lunenburg --> Annapolis Royal --> Wolfville --> Baddeck --> Cape Breton Highlands (Cabot Trail/Ingonish) --> Louisbourg --> Sydney--> Back to Toronto. The Lynwood Inn was our 3rd and final stay in Nova Scotia.

We chose Baddeck because of its central location between Cape Breton Highlands and Louisbourg (we wanted to avoid checking into two hotels). The highlands were a little under 1.5 hours away. Louisbourg was a little under 1 hour away. If you're looking to drive the entirety of the Cabot Trail (5hrs to drive the entire trail), it begins approximately 20 minutes off Hwy 105 from Baddeck. Very convenient location!

We arrived at the inn around 9:30pm - if you are going to be arriving late like we did, please note that their check-in staff are only there until 10pm and you're basically waiting until the next morning if you arrive any later. Also note that if you are looking to eat later at night, this community is run by older folk and restaurants were all closed by 9:30pm (they probably closed around 9pm; we couldn't find signs). There is a pizza joint - Tom's Pizza - which is a 2-3minute walk from the inn which is open until 11pm. Pizza wasn't too bad (and I'm Italian)!

We ate breakfast at the Restaurant at the Inn and it was phenomenal! The blueberry pancakes were fresh, fluffy, and perfect. The eggs benedict were wonderful; the hollandaise was light and eggs were also cooked to perfection. You can tell that the chefs have put a lot of effort in their food preparation and use organic ingredients. The waitress was also friendly and on the ball - never ran out of coffee (which was also decent coffee!) For any Canadians who would like to compare this to Cora's, it's 100x better! We were very satisfied with out breakfast.

Now for the rooms. They were normal, nothing special. The rooms were clean with a musty smell, which is expected for an older inn. The beds are old and too firm. I usually like a firmer mattress, but these were a little too firm. We slept fine because we were exhausted from our day events and we're in our 20s so we could sleep anywhere without back pain. The rooms have very plain decoration - a couple of creepy porcelain doll-like pictures on the wall, some chairs, a table... We had a balcony with a view of the Baddeck River which was very nice. The bathrooms were a good size with a full shower AND jets in the bathtub! I took a bubble bath one night and very much enjoyed this perk! If you're looking for extended channels on the TV, the selection is limited (which I mean isn't such a big deal assuming you're stay is primarily to have a place to sleep)! It was quite hot during our stay - thank god the AC works well! the first night we froze because we overdid the AC. The next night we were comfortable.

Why are we convinced there are ghosts? The pictures on the wall creeped us out (we find this amusing though). Our first night, one of the chairs was creaking... a lot... for hours. The next morning my friend found a rose earring attached to one of her shirts which matched the earring work in one of the porcelain doll-like pictures on the wall. My friend does not own rose earrings... The next night was quiet but we woke up and found one of our keys in the door... For us, this was amusing. For some, this is scary!

Do I recommend staying at the Lynwood Inn? Great location and comfortable enough so yes! I also recommend a visit to the Graham Bell Museum down the street... I was awe stricken at all his accomplishments other than the telephone!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed August 23 in the Lynwood Cottage with 4 adults and 2 children. This was a great centrally located cottage in the heart of Baddeck, steps away from shopping, groceries, restaurants and the hall which hosts a ceilidh every evening. Incidentally, if you're planning a route, Baddeck was one of our favourite stops in Nova Scotia. The cottage was roomy enough for all of us (2 bedrooms, and we put one kid on the couch and another on a cot in the living room, and they slept fine). It was very hot so we were glad the air conditioning worked. As well, we had been provided with fans for the bedrooms, which we put to good use. The bathroom was large and bright. Our only complaint would be that the room was not ready at check-in time (3 p.m.), but not a big deal as we just went for a walk around town while we were waiting (which we likely would have done in any event). This was a great location and we were very pleased with our experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My 5 month old and I had a very comfortable stay at this Inn. From the reception to the checkout, everyone was smiling and helpful. "Down-home" music was playing in the restaurant area in the evening which was definitely toe tapping. The room was nicely decorated and not overcrowded with furniture and in the morning, when I was trying to lug my stuff to my van, a torrential downpour started. The cleaning staff watched my baby while I packed the van. Talk about added bonuses! They were very nice and helpful. Breakfast at the restaurant patio was peaceful while listening and watching the rain.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family