“WOW! The wedding of our dreams!!!”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Halifax, Canada
“WOW! The wedding of our dreams!!!”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I can't believe the reviews I have been reading about the Inverary and the staff. All I can think of is that the bride and groom in question and their guests were not organized enough and expected the resort to do everything for them. When you plan your wedding at a hotel you are still responsible for planning the event and cannot sit back and wait for it all to be done for you by the staff. It is your day and if you want yours to be as perfect as ours was, take a role in the planning process and it will come off without a hitch.

We were married at the Inverary on October 9th, the day before the wedding in question, and it was absolutely amazing. The weekend and wedding I had always dreamed of. All of friends and family from Nova Scotia, Ontario and the States were all just as thrilled with their weekend as my husband and I were.

We started meeting with the AMAZING event coordinator a year before our wedding and made several trips up the resort throughout the year to touch base with her. When we couldn't be there in person, I emailed with her constantly and she was always able to accomodate my requests. I can't imagine how I would have planned my wedding without her help. She was an invaluable asset who was always happy and willing to meet with me, talk on the phone or answer my emails with the thousands of questions I must have asked her over the course of the year of planning. The day before the wedding when I was running around trying to get everything done I would pop into her office, completely unannounced at least 3 times throughout the day, and even though she had 3 weddings on her schedule that weekend, she was always available to me and I never felt like I was imposing on her.

The weekend of the wedding the planning was handed over to the Day of Coordinator who was just as helpful and professional as possible. Even on the Friday, the day before my wedding, there was another wedding taking place. I would pop down the reception hall to ask her a question about my wedding and even though she had a great deal on her plate getting ready for that night's wedding, she would always more than happily stop and spend time talking to me.

The rooms were stunning, each and every one of them. My husband and I were in 3 different rooms over the 4 nights we stayed there over our wedding weekend and each of the rooms were stunning. All of our guests were thrilled with their rooms as we were. Many of our guests arrived early on both Friday and Saturday and had absolutely no problem checking in early. I did not hear one single complaint from any of my guests or family. The room my bridesmaids and I got ready in was absolutely gorgeous! We were allowed to stay in the room until 4:00, rather than having to check out then check into our room for Saturday night in the middle of getting ready for the wedding. The housekeeping staff could not have been more helpful, bringing extra chairs, mirrors, hand towels....whatever we needed all day. When I was leaving the room just before the ceremony some of them had assembled to watch us leave. I was so touched that they would come back to see us all dressed and ready to go.

All in all, as I said the weekend was absolutely everything we had ever dreamed of. Without the help and support of the amazing staff, I know our weekend would have been perfect. I cannot express my thanks and appreciation to them enough. I know we will be back there to celebrate our anniversary every year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrshart2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Well where to begin? The poor bride and groom were stressed beyond any limits by the disorganization and screw ups by this place. The event planners do not communicate with the rest of the organization and it was problem after problem. Thanks to family and friends it was an awesome wedding IN SPITE of this place. Unless you have a supply of major tranquilizers, or want headaches don't do an event here.

My family group was not advised that our 400.00 per night 2 bedroom suite was on the third floor, up 6 flights of stairs outside the building. The suite was lovely, but the access was difficult and one family member had a disability. Next, when I asked about having another daughter with us they didn't tell us there was a sofa bed in the room, so we tried to book another room only to be told there was none left for 2 nights in a row when there was still rooms blocked out for the wedding. At the last minute, after much stress to the bride and groom and phone calls by them over many room problems, the Inn came up with a room.

The Inn would not let a family that had driven 24 hours from Ontario to NS, check in an hour early to get ready for the wedding. BUT, they let other 40 mins away check in early. There were empty clean rooms on that floor so there was no reason not to allow the Ontario family to check in.

There is no food service in their pub! After a long drive, hungry family, when one needs to have a quick bite, and it is too early for dinner, this was really disappointing. The whole place seems to be set up to ensure visitors spend the most money possible, rather than for service or comfort.

There is a 72 hour cancellation policy so don't have any last minute emergencies!

The event planner had nothing booked for a rehearsal the evening before the wedding. In fact they had 2 or 3 weddings back to back when we arrived looking for the rehearsal so there was just confusion all around, and the place was crazy with people running all over looking unhappy.

I could add more but I am sure others will post here as well as write to the manager.The view is lovely but there are other places just as nice nearby. For a solo trip I am sure it is fine, but not for an event.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank dralaterdzo

Travelers are raving about these Baddeck hotels

Halifax ns
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We were booked in this resort as part of a golf package. I should have known better because Cape Breton Resorts are outdated and a dinasour when it comes to lodging. This is just the norm after staying in their resorts for the last three years, but you have no choice if you want cheap golf. What a rat hole and I will leave the rest to the readers imagination.NO self respecting bed bug would live in these rooms.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank morley1948
caper240657, Owner at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2010
It was great speaking directly to you the other day. I appreciated your comments and I think that I was able to understand what frustrated you and I look forward to getting a call directly from you on your next Cape Breton Golf Holiday. I am pleased that you do like our properties,our packages as well as playing our courses and we will work on making your next trip a little more fun for you and your friend. Thanks again.
Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 14, 2010

First, I must say WE managed to save the day and have a perfect wedding after all IN SPITE of the Inverary and their next to useless management and staff!!!! We had nothing but problems almost from the beginning with room booking issues and constant ongoing mix-ups with our requests! First, the bookings we initially requested got given away and they had to back peddle to fix that, not perfectly, but the results were tolerable. The few days before and the day of the wedding was a NIGHTMARE. It is like the Event Planner and the Reservations people did not talk. People were calling to book rooms and were told there were no rooms available, even though there were still rooms in our blocked set. We told staff that many people would be arriving late and to hold all the rooms we booked whether they people showed by check in or not. These rooms were all part of our blocked rooms so they were going to be paid for by us so the Inverary was not going to lose any money on them. However, when many of our guests showed their rooms had been given away and we had to fight with the reservation desk to find rooms. Then we had issues with the Spa the day of the wedding. We had booked the spa for our wedding party for the day (luckily my wife had invited her own hairdresser to the wedding so she ended up doing a lot of the wedding party's hair as well) however, when my wife arrived 30 minutes late and we requested to add a couple of more people in the staff got rude with her and she ended up walking out. Guess they did not want our business / money!!!! AT that point we were close to packing up the entire event and LEAVING!!!! To sum up, the place is night but trying to work with the staff to plan / organize the event was a NIGHTMARE. Would not recommend anyone hold any event there!!! It was a nightmare dealing with all the mistakes that were made and the level of stress that it caused was close to unbearable!!! The rooms were mixed, some were amazing and some were terrible with musty smells and poor maintenance. The pool was small but okay for the kids. The gym was small and the equipment dated. In conclusion / hindsight – if I had to do it all over again I WOULD NOT do it there!!!!

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank IanTay
caper240657, Owner at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Thank you for the comments on your recent experience at our property. We have discussed your issues at length with our management team and recognize that there was an issue with a cottage that had been reserved and was no longer available at the time of booking. However, we did attempt to accommodate the initial request and again apoligize if you felt the replacement cottage was not comparable.

Our check in and check out policy is consistent with other properties in the region and in fact with larger city hotels as well. We try our best to accommodate any early check in requests and while we are able to do so, it is difficult to accommodate all of them 100% of the time.

We want to assure you that our Spa Manager was acting in what she felt was the best interest of the Bride. As you mentioned there were some late arrivals for appointments and her intent was to prioritize and facilitate appointments for the Bride and her attendants and in no way did she mean to appear rude.

We are very pleased that you had a perfect wedding and reception. We wish you the best of luck in your new married life and thank you for sharing your comments with us as it helps us to ensure all future experiences are special.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We were very pleased with our stay at this resort. Accommodations are located in many different buildings, and ours was conveniently located adjacent to the main building. The room was small-ish, but nicely decorated and homey feeling. The meals we had there were excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We spent a couple of nights at Inverary.. The rooms need updating, but we were comfortable there. Good value.. The grounds are pretty - the lake view is nice... The restaurant was wonderful, but expensive.. I didn't have a lot of expectation when we arrived, but we were satisfied with the resort.. We drove around Baddeck looking at the other accomodations in the village, and I think this is one of the nicest places to stay in the Baddeck area.. the location is ideal - a nice central location as it's close enough to easily drive to all the touristy places on Cape Breton Island.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank love2seeNewPlaces
caper240657, Owner at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments. Inverary is a large family owned property and is contantly updating our guest rooms as well as common areas. We will continue to better the quality of the entire facility again during the shoulder season. We are always keeping in mind the changing needs of today travellers when completing upgrades. We are all very proud of our food service and have a wonderful culinary team that at our Lakeside Restaurant offer a wide choice of entrees from a wonderful Angus Burgers, fresh fish and chips to fresh scallops or Rack of Lamb. We continue to get great comments about the quality and resonable pricing.
We are proud of our facility and always aim to be the best in the area. Thanks again for your thoughts and comments and have an enjoyable thanksgiving season.
Scott MacAulay
Rivière-Beaudette Qc Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2010

One could not imagine how nice, calm and friendly a resort could be.
Even if there were many kids on the spot during our stay, this place is calling for calm and never were we bothered by those normaly "turbulent" young kids.
Definitely the one place to stay while travelling in Cape Breton, and it is central so just a few hours drive at most for the spectacular sight-seeings on the Island.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
#4 of 7 in Baddeck
Trailsman Motel
Trailsman Motel
#6 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!