“Great Stopping Off Spot”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Spruce Grove
“Great Stopping Off Spot”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

The resort is a great collection of buildings that have a lot of character, sitting right on the Bras D'Or lakes. We happened upon it during our tour of Cape Breton and didn't have a reservation. They accommodated us without any difficulty. Our room was interesting, with a king size bed that tilted slightly back towards the headboard (maybe the room was crooked?) and no view to speak of. We did have a gas fireplace, though, which was very romantic. The restaurant is a bit of hike from the main lodge, but sits on the water and is fairly 'classy'. Lots of interesting items on the menu. Enjoyed the pub onsite, which had an autographed photo of Wayne Gretzky, a bit of a conversation starter with the pub keeper. Had fun and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Beth_inAlberta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Toronto, On
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We just returned from 2 nights at the Inverary Resort. I thought the place was beautiful and our cottage was clean and well-equipped. The water was warm for swimming (bring water shoes because the beach is stony) and we enjoyed having an indoor pool, horseshoes kayaks, evening bonfires etc. Guests get a wristband for $7 each which allows you to use just about all the equipment from 8 to 8. My kids enjoyed the crab races at the dock. My husband and I went to the bar one night and listened to a local perform - he was terrific!

Baddeck is a great central location. Just over half an hour from both the bird island tour and kayaking. In town there is other entertainment, and the Alexnder Graham Bel museum is well worth the visit, even if it's not raining. The scenery is not as spectacular as up north in the park but we really enjoyed our two days at the Inverary.

• Liked — clean, centrally located
  • Disliked — One more bed for our third child so they weren't complaining about sharing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dimples
Tennessee
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We called Inverary to stay one night on our way around the Cabot trail but they put us in the unit across the road. It felt like the motels that we stayed in years ago. It was clean but no coffee pot and just not the type of room that I expected for the price that i paid. The main lodge seemed overrun with buses so we went to the Baddeck Lobster Supper to eat and it was very good. We got up and ate breakfast on site. They gave me burned pancakes for breakfast but adjusted my bill when I complained. We did not tarry long in Baddeck but drove on the next day to enjoy the views on the trail. I would not recommend this place for a lengthy stay. It was ok for one night.

• Stayed June 2007
4 Thank dorris10
Toronto
Reviewed May 29, 2007

My daughter and I stayed two nights at the Inverary. Our room, located in the same building as the check in desk, was a good size and very clean and comfortable. The matttesses were not firm (my preference), in fact my daughter called them cushy cumphy. I was worried I would not sleep well, but it turned out they were comfortable; slept like a log! We ate breakfast in the main building restaurant - from the menu, available one day, was better value than the buffet, available the other day. We enjoyed a seafood dinner at the restaurant by the lake. Excellent service and food. In terms of location for a drive around the Cabot Trail, this hotel is perfect. It is also close to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, which I highly recommend.

• Liked — Restful location on the lake
  • Disliked — Buffet breakfast was too expensive
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Motor_On
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 6, 2006

This hotel had a great location. Rooms were adequate - not luxurious, but clean and nice. We rented a kyack for $5 through the hotel - fun!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I wish I had checked out this resort on Tripadvisor before I booked it. There's really not a whole lot wrong with the place. I wouldn't rate it too high simply because of the beds. They were awful!!! We stayed for 4 nights and after the first night we went to Walmart and bought foam mattress pads for the beds just to be able to complete our stay. They helped enough to make them bearable and let us sleep some...... the rest of the resort was nice. The restuarants were good, the pool was nice, even if cold, and the rooms were okay. I wouldn't stay there again, unless I got confirmation of new mattresses in the rooms, or had my own pads to take with us.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — beds!
  • Tips/Secrets — if you have back problems, don't stay there!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hannah02

Travelers are raving about these Baddeck hotels

Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Most of the reviews of the resort are accurate. However, I would advise people that the rooms we stayed at were VERY small and antiquated. The beds and mattresses dated from the 50s as did the bedding. For over $120 per night, we expected more than a plain-jane, charmless 1950s motel room. Therefore, please ask to see the room before you put your credit card down. There are many other areas of the resort, so you should ask to see a more recently renovated room. Unfortunately, we were there without a reservation during a very busy event weekend so we had to take the last room available.

Otherwise, the place is nice.

• Liked — The resort is charming.
  • Disliked — The rooms are very plain and outdated considering the high rates.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank TomRiedmiller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Broadwater Inn
Broadwater Inn
#2 of 17 in Baddeck
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!