“Disappointed!”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Nash, Oklahoma
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed in the sister hotel behind Inverary. It is a Motel 6 at best. Two double beds, and little bathroom. The rooms were of good size but old.
The swimming pool and hot tub are across the main highway which is not very convenient. We'll look for someplace different next time.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
DC
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We only stayed here for a night and maybe we were unlucky but the main building seems pretty dreadful. In particular, avoid rooms 125-126ish, at the back of the building - you can live with the view of the car park (somebody has to) but the fans for the kitchens makes the entire side of the building vibrate. And since they go on at 6am, that's not a lot of fun. It's an old building stuffed with a little too much machinery and there's always something running. And when I raised this, staff looked at me as if they'd never heard of this before - hard to miss, i would have thought.

That said, the grounds are lovely - the restaurant is pretty good - and their bar tender mixes a good a martini.

• Liked — Great Location
  • Disliked — Noisy main building
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VacayT

Travelers are raving about these Baddeck hotels

London
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor about the Inverary Inn Resort I was a little nervous about what we would find on our arrival. First impressions were not great as there was a conference beginning so there were a lot of people around but the check in staff were very friendly and our room (which was booked as a standard room) was one of four rooms in a little building in the middle of the resort. It was a good size with two double beds and a fair size bathroom.
Finding a parking space was a bit of a pain but again this might have been because of the conference.
We ate at the Lakeside Cafe one night and the food was good although the service a little slow.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very crowded
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelgirl064
Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Inverary for one night in July. It was part of a two-day Cabot Trail journey. Overall, I found it to be an average stay and below my expections. My husband thought it was good value for the money and liked the vibe better than Keltic Lodge (where we stayed the night before).

Check-in was smooth but a little unfriendly. I received my key and map after listening to the other front desk lady give a description to the gentleman next to me of the bonfire, pub ,activities etc. I asked the lady who served me for more information on the pub etc. and got very little info. Oh well, I guess I was supposed to eavesdrop!

Our room was a Deluxe room, in the main building with a view of the highway, chain link fence and the school next door. My fault for not compaining to get a better view, but we figured it was one night. On the upside, the room was large, had a fireplace, and a big TV.

The grounds were nice. We had a drink at the pub, then went out for a dinner at the Lakeside Cafe. We arrived late (9 p.m.) and felt very rushed. Dinner was actually very good, but service not so great. We went back to the pub where there was great live music. Definitely recommend checking it out.

We skipped the breakfast at Flora's the next morning and went to town, the the Yellow Cello for breakfast. We had a nice little stroll through the main street and would have gone for a boat ride if it hadn't started to rain.

Will return to Baddeck, but might try another hotel next time.

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HernameisRio
Halifax, NS Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We've stayed at Inverary Resort a couple of times for conferences and have found it to have a good setup for large groups. They have a very nice conference building on the property where they cater the meals in addition to holding the meetings.

I've stayed in a regular room in the past (nothing special) but this time we had a cottage suite and it was much nicer. The only problem was that despite specifically requesting a barbecue when we booked the room, when we arrived we were told that all of the cabins with barbecues were taken. This is after we'd already bought our meat and other perishable food for the barbecue. We asked if they could do anything and we were flatly told "no, we can't do anything" with a shrub. I was beside myself so I walked away. Later I did two things: I called the manager, who offered to send over a mini grill (the type you use for camping). Then I called a friend at the same conference who also had booked a cabin and discovered that not only did she have a barbecue, but she hadn't brought any food. Since the cabins were basically next door, we took the barbecue from her cabin and placed it on our deck. Problem solved, although the initial cold and unhelpful response left a bad taste in my mouth.

The cabin is quite spacious and ours had a propane fireplace that would be perfect for a chilly spring or fall evening (it was too hot when we were there). The king sized bed is comfortable. The bathroom is nothing special, and the shower was weak, but there is a little kitchenette with a bar fridge, toaster, coffeemaker and sink and very basic supplies like 4 plates, 4 forks, 4 glasses, etc. (no wine glasses, no serving implements or bowls, etc.)

The location of the resort is very good if you're going to be exploring Cape Breton. Baddeck is a beautiful town and the resort is right on the lake, about a 15 minute walk from the heart of town. At the resort they have bonfires on the beach each night in summer and it would be a very suitable place to take the family.

• Liked — Atmosphere, location
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Mooma
Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The location of this property is wonderful as it sits on beautiful Bras d'Or Lake. Baddeck is a charming little town and it's easy to relax there. The resort has pedal boats and motor boats that can be rented and spacious grounds for walking. Our room was clean and neat though not exceptionally large. The restaurant had a pretty good menu and beautiful views but was very pricey. I recommend this property to people wanting to relax but don't expect all the ammenities of a typical United States "resort".

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank SilverStar092
NJ
Reviewed November 22, 2007

My sister and I were looking forward to a lovely hotel on the lake. What a disappointment. We waited at reception longer than seemed necessary, but passed it off to her being busy with other things. The first room she assigned us was small and cramped and dreary. It had a double bed and a sofabed crammed into it and no closet. We had expressly reserved a room with two beds, and when we returned to reception to say the room was unacceptable, the woman told us she didn't have another room and there was a sofabed, as if that filled the bill. We again told her it was not acceptable and she "found" another room with 2 beds.
This 2nd room was so small you had to turn sideways to get into the bathroom because a bed was blocking it. We again returned to reception and told her the room was unacceptable and we would be leaving. She refused to credit back the 1 night deposit they had actually charged to the credit card months before our arrival - no other hotel did that! - saying that we were required to give 3 days notice to cancel a reservation. I argued that we were there to honor our reservation but they did not have a suitable room available, therefore we did not break the contract, they did. She said that is their "policy".
At this point she "found" another room. This room was small, but not terrible, although the building was dingy and the carpeting threadbare in spots. In the morning we were awakened by the fumes of a tour bus idling for over an hour under our open window. Couldn't leave soon enough.
Bottom line on this - the most expensive of the hotels we stayed at on our trip to the maritimes - YUK. I am a travel agent. I will never book clients into a tour using this place again and will make sure the tour operators know why.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
7 Thank Moydow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Cabot Trail Motel
Cabot Trail Motel
#2 of 7 in Baddeck
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!